X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawge was right, them a laborite group

Amnesty report a mixed bag

Published: Tuesday | July 21, 2009

Amnesty International has given the Jamaican Government a pat on the shoulder in a report in which it provides a mixed review of the island's state of public security.
    In the report, to be released today, the international human-rights lobby continues to chastise the security forces for their handling of crime and excessive use of force. However, it commends the Bruce Golding administration for what it describes as the interest it has shown in addressing most of the threats to public security.
    The country recorded its third-highest homicidal toll in history last year with 1,611 murders. It similarly recorded a high but reduced number of police fatal shootings with 224 deaths. That, however, appears to be on the increase again, with 84 people killed by the police in the first five months of the year.
    Strategy for change
    According to Amnesty, the Government has identified a clear strategy for change and has formulated recommendations to reform the police force and the justice system. It notes that the strategies have received interest from international donors that have committed to provide financial and technical support for the process.
    "Jamaicans have shown their support for the plans by electing a government whose programme focuses on the need to curb violence and foster development," the author of the report states. "What remains to be seen is whether the political leadership is strong enough to overcome possible obstacles and resistance and whether it is truly committed to tackling the public-security problem from a human-rights perspective."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Spin.

Comment

Sass, I heard the AI guy (James Burke?) on BBC and what he said was that the present govt. is CONTINUING the policies begun under the previous government.... so mi hear it, so mi tell it.
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
        Sass, I heard the AI guy (James Burke?) on BBC and what he said was that the present govt. is CONTINUING the policies begun under the previous government.... so mi hear it, so mi tell it.
        Yeah ... thats the latest spin.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well when the PNP win again I hope them nuh say that Amesty nuh like the PNP. Them can't have it both ways.

Is either them serious about Human rights or take the blame.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You're so caught up with this PNP-JLP thing! Gosh!

Yuh soon realise that despite the successes of the ministers of tourism and agriculture, there ain't much difference between the two administrations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              You're so caught up with this PNP-JLP thing! Gosh!

Yuh soon realise that despite the successes of the ministers of tourism and agriculture, there ain't much difference between the two administrations.

ssssshhhh!! Du... nuh leggo di secret.... mek it creep up pon dem.

Minister of Tourism success I can agree somewhat as he is riding a wave of massive tourism investment.. wich part Minister of Agriculture ah show success??
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

there is not much difference but the PNP have a bad habit of blaming everybody who don't support what they do or say as Labourite.

it is tiring.

Comment

politicians have a habit of doing this

Comment

The PNP more that any other Jamaican group. They even accused Phillips supporters of been labourites.

The fact is they must deal with issues at hand and stop passing it off as everybody being against them. This is a way of not been responsible.

Comment

dat is how dem ensure karl's support!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

and Jawge. Nuff man a gwaan but them figet how the human rights organizations were accused of been labourite including Amensty. This was a way of belittling their work.

Comment

Working...
                        X