Clear All

• Miss Jamaica (Universe) 2009

Miss Jamaica (Universe) 2009
    25-year-old Carolyn Yapp

Carolyn Yapp as Miss Jamaica Universe 2009

Another Pic; Info

Miss Jamaica Universe 2009
    Carolyn Yapp will represent the Caribbean Island in the Bahamas

KINGSTON, July 17 – Carolyn Yapp, a 25 year old Interior Designer was crowned Miss Jamaica Universe 2009 on Thursday July 16, in a private ceremony at The Refuge at Villa Ronai, attended by the family and friends of the contestants, as well as producers and organizers from Pulse, licensees for the Jamaica preliminary to Miss Universe.

As Miss Jamaica Universe, Carolyn will get the opportunity to represent Miss Jamaica at Miss Universe 2009 in Nassau, The Bahamas on August 23, 2009 before a worldwide audience of close to one billion persons.
    Visibly elated following her win Carolyn says, “It has always been a dream of mine to be an ambassador for my country and this is my chance! I know the competition will be tough but I’m ready to do my country proud and bring the title home.”

First runner-up was Fallon Harris a 21 year old student at the University of the West Indies and fashion model. Third runner-up was budding model, singer and designer, 19 year old Krystina Black. The judges were well known fashion and beauty personalities Barry Moncrieffe, former principal dancer of the NDTC and fashion designer; Gilou Bauer, Curator of the Mutual Life Gallery and Lois Lake-Sherwood, artist, business executive and diplomat. The winner was the universal choice of all the judges.

Pulse made a special appeal to Jamaicans to come forward to compete for the title, despite giving up the license earlier this year, as the Miss Universe Organization prevailed on the Jamaican company to conduct a contest and produce a Miss Universe entrant from Jamaica. This year is considered especially important for Caribbeans, as the event will be held at Atlantis in the Bahamas, next door to Jamaica. This might be a year in which Jamaica has its best chance, given the event’s presence in the region and the potential of the stunningly beautiful Miss Yapp.

Comment

Miss Chicago

Miss Chicago, winning the talent competition.
      Last edited by Bruce; April 21, 2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

No Comments (lol)

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Miss Jamaica Universe 2009
        *(Ignoring Bruce)*

No comment on Miss Jamaica Universe from the Massive (lol)? While we’ve won the Miss World competition three times we’ve never captured the Miss Universe crown.
        Here are Jamaica’s Miss World winners:
        Carole Joan Crawford (1963);
        Cindy Breakspeare (1976);
        Lisa Hanna (1993).

Now, wouldn’t it be nice if we won at his year’s pageant in the Bahamas (and, of course, ironic as well when one considers the location of this year’s pageant)?

Incidentally, the Caribbean has done tremendously well at both global beauty pageants, with Puerto Rico (five Miss Universe and one Miss World winners), Trinidad & Tobago (two Miss Universe and one Miss World winners), Jamaica (three Miss World winners), and the Dominican Republic (one Miss Universe and one Miss World winners) being the most outstanding in this regard.

Comment

Historian I am not sure how long you have followed the forum, but most discussions on Jamaican beauty contests tend to drift towards discussions on our tradition of selecting light skinned and/or mixed-race women and what that says about how we view ourselves. Just letting you know so you are not taken by surprise if that is what happens.

BTW I know you don't agree but I thought Bruces post was kinda funny. Disgusting, but funny!
          Last edited by Islandman; July 20, 2009, 01:05 PM.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Cho, wha mek yuh let the puss of the bag. Mi was thinking bout the same ting.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Where's the beef?

Comment

well funny enough my comment would be the lineage of the contestants. Is beauty in Jamaica validated by south Asian mix as per this incredible beautiful contestant and others such as Lisa Hanna.

Comment

See Bruce's post.

The upchuck is with Miss Chicago.
                  Peter R

Comment

The "problem" is what the criteria are for choosing a Miss Jamaica or any beauty queen for that matter. It sees to me (no stats) that most of Miss Americas tend to be blue eyed blondes.

As far as I'm concerned these competitions are archaic, but I doubt they will go away soon, if ever. Miss Chicago (her ability to hold liquor notwithstnading) could probably meet all the criteria needed for the contests but if she's not 115 lbs. 5'7" barefoot, etc etc she has a snowball chance in hell...so when they say these competitions are to advance women and improve them etc etc it's all a pile of bull. I rather just go to a strip club and be done.
                    Peter R

Comment

you will find any reason to rationalise that particular patronage suh nuh badda even try....good try though

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL...yuh fin' mi out.
                        Peter R

Comment

I Understand, But....

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          Historian I am not sure how long you have followed the forum, but most discussions on Jamaican beauty contests tend to drift towards discussions on our tradition of selecting light skinned and/or mixed-race women and what that says about how we view ourselves. Just letting you know so you are not taken by surprise if that is what happens.

BTW I know you don't agree but I thought Bruces post was kinda funny. Disgusting, but funny!
                          Yep, I’ve been aware of discussions on the issue of race and Miss Jamaica in the past. The fact is that I first started posting on the Reggae Boyz Forum back in either late 2002 or early 2003, and used to be a very regular reader and poster. When the format changed I did not change with it, but simply focused primarily on the Caribbean Track and Field Forum next door. And no, I wouldn’t be surprised by this topic changing to race, as I’ve read such discussions here over the past several years, and in particular when the Rastafarian sister was crowned Miss Jamaica.

Of course, I would not post a single reply to any discussion/post focusing on race and Miss Jamaica. That is one fact you can bet your life on!!

Now, Miss Carolyn Yapp will have my complete and unreserved enthusiastic support because of two reasons: 1) She’s a Jamaican who was born in Jamaica. That is the single most important factor to me. 2) She stands a good chance in this competition, I believe, and so she will have my unreserved support because I want a Jamaican to win the Miss Universe competition.

Bruce’s post was okay, I guess, but completely off the topic.

Comment

interesting why you would not talk about race in a island that does have biases and where a great deal of our young people will lighten the skin to seem more attractive. How does one ignore that social fact when we are talking about beauty..

Comment

Please explain to me why she stands a good chance of in the upcoming
                              Miss universe competition. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X