Rating the roads in JA-my impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating the roads in JA-my impression

I rated these roads based primarly on the condition of the surface. I also looked a whether there was a shoulder. Visibilty around corners is a concern if you've fallen out of the habit of using a horn. JA residents, please give me your feedback as is unuh haffi use these roads every day.

Starting NorthEast to west-

Main Road from 20 mins. east of Port Antonio to the western side of Pt Antonio by the magistrates court : Rating F.
    Hopefully the road rehabilitation will continue to the east. In some places you cannot even dodge a pothole; simply just slow down to a virtual crawl and then negotiate.

Main Road- Port Antonio west to Negril -I give an A/A+ . The authorities have done a great job and there is absolutely nothing to complain about, other than the maniacs who drive like there is no tomorrow.

Negril to Santa Cruz- I give a C+/B-. The road surface isn't bad but it is the same as when I last drove on these roads 15 yrs ago. My rating might be affected by the impression you're left with after having driven to Negril from Ochie. Sav La Mar needs proper signage.

Santa Cruz to Mandeville -B+/A-. Spur Tree has passing lanes where necessary on the climb.

Mandeville to Porus - not so new bypass road - still in an A condition.

Porus to May Pen- B overall.

May Pen to Spanish Town - the T1 (toll road) like yuh in America HL! (A+)

Mandela Hwy - B

Corporate area roads -B+ for the main roads I drove on... side roads need work.

Papine to Holywell C-, once you pass Blue Mtn Inn (wha mek it shut down?). use your horn. I was actually expecting worse based on what people told me. Short sections do not have asphalt surface but otherwise you could take your Benz up if you want.

Kgn to Ochie- B/B+... Mt Diablo good surface and widened. The last three miles into Ochie (Fern Gully onwards the road is bad D-/F) but as I write I believe they are working on it).

Kgn to Annotto Bay (Junction):C-/D+ especially once you leave St Andrew (who is the MP for those parts of St Mary?)

If I had to give an overall rating I'd say a solid B, which aint all that bad. If I were moving back to JA (God willing when I retire) an SUV is in order if say you like to head up in the hills or travel to points east of Pt Antonio (or to Holland Bay, nuh suh Brickie?).

Anyway, those were the roads I drove on on the KYI (Know Your Island) tour for my family. As you can see St Thomas got left out...that's for the next trip, hopefully before year end. And eff anybody have piece a land for sale near Pt Antonio or Irish Town (my two favourite places) let me know.
    Peter R

I remember a few years ago when I commented on the roads in Portland and St.Mary people try to pin me to a political agenda. You give them C-F now you should have seen them a few years back. At least there is some work over the last 2-3 years.

it is sad that these people pay tax and when I talk about their representitives you hear people who don't know talk crap. The problem is these people don't block road and fire guns like man others.

I read where the Toursim development fund going to be used for Fern Gully. Harry Douglas was MP for South East St.Mary for a long time(from castleton to annotto bay) he talk a good game but now it is Kern Peralto but I don't think so far there is any improvement. Vaz next door did some work and I don't think East Portland MP Rhodd has done too much(at least I am not impressed).
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks, PR! The company I work for is into road construction/rehabilitation so your post was most interesting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Peter, I hope you don't give away grades so easily in your other line of work. Apart from the main roads in Jamaica, most of the other roads are in a deplorable state. Yes, A1 is great, the North Coast Highway good - why not 4 lanes I have no clue- Mobay-Negril - good. Try KIN- St Thomas...no better than 20 years ago....Mosiah, you'll have lots of work in the future...

Comment

Corporate Area B+ ??

Heh, heh.

What is your scale based on ? 3rd World Standards ?

Comment

'Interesting' is as kind as one can get....

LOL !!

Comment

It is a painful experience trying to drive on low-profile tyres in Kingston...

Comment

What is your govt doing about it? Isn't that what the gas tax was all about?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well you might be right about being generous : my disclaimer was "the roads I drove on" and yes it could be misleading that the roads overall are in great condition. Certainly the main roads I used (I stayed in Barbican off Liguanea Rd.)- Half Way Tree to Papine, Half Way Tree out to Hellshire, Papine down to UWI, Constant Spring Road and a couple others are not in bad shape at all. I did say something about side roads needing work... and get rid of the low profile tyres.

My closing comment was that an SUV is in order.
                  Peter R

Comment

I think they're saving it up til they have a lump sum to spend? Nuh suh dem say?
                    Peter R

Comment

Exile, yuh tink seh all de road dem mi drive was like de one yuh introduce me to in May Pen? Who is yuh MP?

But you're correct, once you leave the main roads it's SUV (or rental car)time.
                      Peter R

Comment

Low-profile not for any roads...only for car shows...next thing rain fall and yu get wash weh. I remember taking sm real stupid chances crossing Yallas fording with the river over the road and sm local youhs directing for "a smalls". Youthful stupidity....

Comment

them a save it up till near general election.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

most roads in corporate area are good, anytime you try beat the traffic you have some bad roads in some communities that need work

Comment

Working...
                            X