My Sunday Dedication to Music Lovers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Sunday Dedication to Music Lovers!

This YouTube selection is dedicated on this lovely Sunday to all the music lovers on this forum. It is a live performance of the ballad, “Danny Boy” by one of the greatest voices of the twentieth century, the Welshman Tom Jones.

Now, this is an incredibly powerful rendition, in a live concert setting, and certainly my all-time favorite version of this outstanding Irish ballad! Hopefully you all will enjoy it as well as I do .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIVyVSow3M

Thank you kind sir. Thoroughly enjoyed it
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes, It Was Great!

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      Thank you kind sir. Thoroughly enjoyed it
      MdmeX, thank you as well for taking the time to listen to that excellent live performance by Tom Jones. I noticed that not many people read that post, but not hearing that performance is their loss!

Tom Jones has a really powerful, very rich voice which can successfully interpret just about any song, including a “soft” Irish ballad like “Danny Boy.” On that stage in London, he transformed “Danny Boy” into a musical masterpiece! No wonder he and Elton John are among my Top 10 All-Time Favorite Male Singers!

But thanks again for taking the time to listen and to respond !

Comment

Historian,

I haven't listened yet, no indictment on either you or Tom Jones whose voice is of unquestioned class.

I have always viewed the welsh as being the most soulful of the UK "nationlities". rick astley another welshman with a powerful voice who work product i think sufferered "because of boilerplateism" and marketing as well as that youngster from britain's got talent who was aksed to perfom at the michael jackson memorial....charlotte church ..... not to mention the range of anthony hopkins...I wonder why that is?
        Last edited by Gamma; July 20, 2009, 10:26 AM.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I often thought the British White are naturally better R&B singers than the American white. They have a lot of groups who have also done well. Tom Jones is very good and I like Rick as well.

But there is also a section of the British White who have the dancehall dancing down pat as well. When I visit Britain I don't see the stigma "White people can't dance". So many a them in grove and tune.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Never Thought About It

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            Historian,

I haven't listened yet, no indictment on either you or Tom Jones whose voice is of unquestioned class.

I have always viewed the welsh as being the most soulful of the UK "nationlities". rick astley another welshman with a powerful voice who work product i think sufferered "because of boilerplateism" and marketing as well as that youngster from britain's got talent who was aksed to perfom at the michael jackson memorial....charlotte church ..... not to mention the range of anthony hopkins...I wonder why that is?
            To be frank, I’ve never given this matter of the United Kingdom’s White soul singers much thought before now. So, as you can imagine (lol), I’m in no way qualified to even make a simple comment on the Welsh versus the other three nations in Great Britain . I can agree with you, however, that the young man who performed at the Michael Jackson memorial is an awesome talent!

Originally posted by Assasin
            I often thought the British White are naturally better R&B singers than the American white. They have a lot of groups who have also done well. Tom Jones is very good and I like Rick as well.

But there is also a section of the British White who have the dancehall dancing down pat as well. When I visit Britain I don't see the stigma "White people can't dance". So many a them in grove and tune.
            In the case of the British dancing well, this is probably not surprising as both reggae and ska have always had a fruitful history in that country, even going back to the 1960s and people like Millie Small and then in the 1970s with British punk rockers like the Clash and others. On the other hand, reggae has had much less success in the USA (not including, of course, the Caribbean communities).

By the way, I’ve heard several reggae artists mention the name “Assassin” in relation to someone who did production work on their recordings. Are you that person, Assasin, or are they referring to the recording artist “Assassin” (who gave us recordings like “Boring Gal” etc.?

Comment

No my label is Luv4reel. I was called assassin on the football field. I have worked with a few acts, like Anthony B, Kristopher, Rally Bop, Red Fox, Zumjay, and maybe the most impressive relatively unknown is Shelene Thomas. This girl is really impressive. She has worked with many artists including JLO, Selene Dionne, Muzic and many of the hip hop world and some good reggae artists including Luciano. Trust me she is one of the biggest voice that hasn't made it in hip hop, reggae, R&B.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Heard You, Boss

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                No my label is Luv4reel. I was called assassin on the football field. I have worked with a few acts, like Anthony B, Kristopher, Rally Bop, Red Fox, Zumjay, and maybe the most impressive relatively unknown is Shelene Thomas. This girl is really impressive. She has worked with many artists including JLO, Selene Dionne, Muzic and many of the hip hop world and some good reggae artists including Luciano. Trust me she is one of the biggest voice that hasn't made it in hip hop, reggae, R&B.
                Thanks for replying, Assasin .

I believe you when you say that Shelene Thomas is really outstanding. And even if you hadn’t stated that she was impressive, I would have guessed from the level and quality of the people she has worked with! I’m definitely going to look up info on her either later this evening or early tomorrow morning.

And all the best to you and your artists, Assasin, boss !

Speaking of Luciano, I’ve never ever seen or heard anyone comment on them, but I’m convinced that Luciano’s backup singers are among the best ever in Jamaican harmony sections! Ever! Those three ladies look like they would fit on a church choir in that they certainly are not trendy as Bere Hammond’s more glamorous and hip backup singers, and they don’t dance on stage either, but nevertheless Luciano’s trio of ladies are better than any trio I’ve heard in reggae music in many years! And equally important, they can do excellent harmonizing in live performances!

Comment

Working...
                X