RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ackee look a-like (no bodda rush out HL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ackee look a-like (no bodda rush out HL)

The great Guarana debate

Buckston Harrison
    Thursday, July 16, 2009

This South American herb which is known to the scientific world as Paullinia Cupanan is very popular in Brazil where it grows profusely. A creeping shrub that is a native to the Amazon, it can grow up to 12 feet high. The most commonly used parts of this plant are the ripened fruits and seeds, which resemble our ackee, but do not possess its poisonous traits.

Its name is derived from that of the people who use it most, the Amerindians, who dry and roast the seeds before crushing and mixing them into a paste with water which is then used in various food preparations and drinks as well as a medicine.

Its main uses by the Rain Forest Indian tribes are as a stimulant, an astringent and for treating chronic diarrhoea. It is also used during periods of fasting as it helps to suppress the appetite. American botanist James Duke observed that it was very good for heart conditions and as well as a pain reliever, stimulant and tonic. He also observed that it was good for treating hypertension, fever, neuralgia and dysentery.

Over the centuries scientists explored the guarana and found benefits which they passed on to the many explorers and settlers who came to South America.

Consequently the Europeans began to study this plant in France and in Germany.

In the 1940s after it was discovered that the Indians were using it to cure fevers, cramps and headaches as well as an energy tonic, it received a rousing reception and became very popular as a stimulant and tonic for thermogenic action. Its popularity took it to the United States where it gained a reputation for increasing mental alertness, fighting fatigue and stress and increasing stamina.

Currently it is taken as a health tonic by millions of Brazilians.
    It is widely believed to combat premature aging, detoxify the blood and ease intestinal gas, obesity, dispepsia. It is well known worldwide as a main ingredient in guaran soda, the national beverage of Brazil .
    Eighty per cent of the world's production of guarana takes place in the Amazon forest of Northern Brazil. The Guarani Indians harvested the seeds of the wild plant and processed them by hand. Since 1980, in response to its awareness of the local production by the Indians, the government of Brazil has facilitated a national Indian Foundation to improve the local production of guarana. Now this is run and directed by a board through a regional board located in Manaus city.

A chemical examination of the seed by German botanist Theodore Von Martius in the 1700s saw him isolating a bitter white crystalline subtance which he chose to call guaranine. This substance which had a striking psychological action was later renamed caffeine.

However, the renaming quickly became a matter of controversy as one school of thought still believed that the guaranine is a unique chemical of the plant, even as others claimed it belonged to the caffeine family.
    Nevertheless, guarana has more caffeine-like qualities than most of the subtances that are known for having caffeine, although it is non-toxic, even in high dosages. It gained a US patent in 1989 and clinical evidence exists that prevents blood clots.

A herb that is rapidly gaining popularity worldwide, guarana is available at major health food stores in Jamaica.

Buckston Harrison is well known for his work as a herbalist, especially in western Jamaica. He resides in Sheffield, Westmoreland.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Interesting...there are so many plants and animals that 'mimic' others in nature...I wonder what is the ecological advantage of the bright red and yellow colours and large black seed?

Comment

How much a tin fi it?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Stopped by the Duluth Farmer's market a week ago.

Haitian ackee a carry de swing at~ $6.00/can! No sign of it's Jamaican look-a-like-taste-a-like.

The only fault is that they take very long to cook.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

have fi check out that one. The only one mi know is the Dekalb one.

The one that is hard to cook is the haitian one but it eat good.

Dekalb limit it to 5 tin per shopper.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Hail Sass. There is a decent farmers market on spring road between atlanta road and cumberland blvd or prkway in cobb county. btw remember the festival happens on sept 6

Comment

Hail up brethren.
              I was just thinking about your festival. I should be there, I will spread the word for you.

Thanks for the info on the farmers market. We have fi link up. HL we should link up and go a di festival.

Comment

Working...
              X