• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More energy confusion

No organisational structure for Mining & Energy Ministry

BY ERICA VIRTUE, Observer writer virtuee@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, July 16, 2009

THREE months after Prime Minister Bruce Golding promoted James Robertson, and set up the Ministry of Mining and Energy, Permanent Secretary Marcia Forbes is lamenting the absence of an organisational structure.
    Making her debut presentation to Public Administration and Appropriations Committee of Parliament, Forbes said failure to approve the structure of the ministry has prevented the hiring of staff.
    "In fact, we moved from the Ministry of Mining and Telecommunications, without an approved structure, into the Ministry of Mining and Energy, with still not an approved structure.
    "This is something that gives me grave concern because we are substantially below staff in every area and if the member of parliament could help me to get this to be addressed quickly, I will be eternally grateful."
    Forbes said this in response to a question from committee member Dr Morais Guy (Opposition).
    Robertson was promoted after the reshuffling of the Cabinet, which did not find a space for then energy minister, Clive Mullings who held the portfolio for energy, and Derrick Smith, who had responsibility for mining and telecommunications.
    Robertson previously served as minister without portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister.
    Forbes said if the structure is approved, the bodies could be put in place ". and the work of the ministry can proceed as smoothly and as efficiently as possible".
    And Forbes, in responding to committee member Ronald Thwaites (Opposition), said a part of the problem in the ministry had to do with timing.
    "The ministry to my understanding has been desegregated quite a bit over recent times over the last several years. Posts are not clearly established.
    Even as we speak, I am trying to get a handle on the exact posts that are under establishment for this new ministry, so it is work in progress; the ministry is three months old and even though I would like it to go quickly I understand the other demands that the Ministry of Finance faces," Forbes said.
    Staff members, she added, have been working overtime to "keep things from falling apart".

Over to you Spindocta.....
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Yuh nah comment pon di Energy Policy ?

Why is not Mining confusion ?

LOL !

Comment

Staff members, she added, have been working overtime to "keep things from falling apart".

Hope they're not doing 22 hrs a day!
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

Why is not Mining confusion ?

LOL !
        So di mining part konfused an energy safe?? Nice.

yuh part ah di konfusion... nuh dat deh ministry is wich part fi yuh trough de?? Showa!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post

Hope they're not doing 22 hrs a day!
          Perhaps it's 26 hours/day.

Now that's value for money!!!

Comment

Just asking out of my ignorance- whose job is it to make sure the structure is in place, the Permanent Secretary or the Minister?

It seems to me that despite cabinet changes and government changes the PS are the ones who are always in place for long periods and are the ones who are incharge of the administration of the Ministries.

If I am wrong then I stand corrected.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              Just asking out of my ignorance- whose job is it to make sure the structure is in place, the Permanent Secretary or the Minister?

It seems to me that despite cabinet changes and government changes the PS are the ones who are always in place for long periods and are the ones who are incharge of the administration of the Ministries.

If I am wrong then I stand corrected.
              I'm no authority on Government.

However the top guy, i.e. the Minister, bears ultimate responsibility for his ministry.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                Seems you are looking for praise... is this policy partially your handiwork?

Have been very engaged with some matters. lately.. will have a look see as soon as I'm able and report my impressions on the document.

Promise.

Comment

That is a given, I would assume, that the Minister is the overall boss but given the methods by which we select our MPs who then become Ministers, wouldn't it make sense that the Permanent Secretaries who are more qualified in administration would be the defacto leaders?

And in the case of Gilbert Scott we have seen PS transcend governments and so would be best placed to advise Ministers who might not be able to administer anything.

Just thinking out loud
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                    That is a given, I would assume, that the Minister is the overall boss but given the methods by which we select our MPs who then become Ministers, wouldn't it make sense that the Permanent Secretaries who are more qualified in administration would be the defacto leaders?

And in the case of Gilbert Scott we have seen PS transcend governments and so would be best placed to advise Ministers who might not be able to administer anything.

Just thinking out loud
                    You're correct...but the boss, is the boss. So even if the boss knows squat...he/she must give the go ahead to go ahead!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                    X