I just watched a documentary on Minnie Riperton,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched a documentary on Minnie Riperton,

best known for the hit "Lovin You". My goodness what a voice, that is the definition of vocal range! I'm going to have to look up some of her other songs, particularly on her first solo album.

A sad story still, it must be painful for a young woman to know she will not see her children grow up.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Is that the UNSung series?

That was very good. it make you look at singing in a different light.

Check out Phylis Hyman as well.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yeah same one. I going to have to start recording that series. I enjoyed one on Shalamar a few weeks ago too.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yeah I have watch them all execpt the one with the Supremes.

Melba Moore and Debarge is also very good. The thing about them is that is it very good documentary that goes to the source and is not biased because of agenda but presented the players in their real form.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I get that feel from them too. Nice to see them feature these quality artistes from the past.

Comment

Correct me here Historian, it was said that Minnie had a four octave?

Comment

"Lovin You" was a big hit on radio in Jamaica back in the day....still trying to make that high note when I sing it (try to)...got 2 of her CDs...yes Melba Moores "Lean on Me"the closest thing to that not...but not quite there...Denise Williams wa sin the 4-octave range as well....Mariah Carey not too dusty either...

Comment

Check out Phylis WHAT?!? oh sorry...thought the a was an e.
                Peter R

Comment

These black female singers from back in the day like the 1920s and '30s all have some gut wrenching stories, there was the one the called Lady Day, cant recall her real name now but she went through some real 5hit and was on drugs as well.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Billy Holiday. One of the great female jazz singers.

Comment

Just Saw This Thread!

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                      Correct me here Historian, it was said that Minnie had a four octave?
                      You are certainly correct, TDowl. The tragedy of incredibly talented African-American women such as Minnie Riperton and Lorraine Hansberry (the writer of the excellent play, “A Raisin in the Sun”) is that they died at such a very young age!! Like Riperton, I think breast cancer is what also killed Hansberry. Both were beautiful women, both were gifted (Hansberry’s play was the first by an African-American woman to hit Broadway), and both died at a very young age. Really sad!

[quote=Exile]"Lovin You" was a big hit on radio in Jamaica back in the day....still trying to make that high note when I sing it (try to)...got 2 of her CDs...yes Melba Moores "Lean on Me"the closest thing to that not...but not quite there...Denise Williams wa sin the 4-octave range as well....Mariah Carey not too dusty either...[/quote'

Exile, this is a most enjoyable post you’ve made, boss, and your list of high range singers is right on the ball .

To this day, every time I hear a female singing “Lovin’ You”, I ALWAYS pause in what I’m doing to listen out for when she hits that high note! To this day, in 99-percent of the cases I end up either laughing aloud or stifling a laugh out of politeness!! That’s a very high note to hit!!

Nevertheless, I honestly think that Melba Moore is the greater of the two when it comes to those peak notes. Melba is classically trained (which is a distinct advantage), and that high note on the hit, “Lean On Me” is not only high, but it is held for a looooooong time!! Back in the 1980s I timed how long she held that note, but I can’t recall the length of time right now. I know of no other pop or R&B recording in which a note is held for as long as Melba’s in “Lean On Me”!

You are also correct about Denise Williams and Mariah Carey.

At the other end of the spectrum, of course, are accomplished alto singers like Anita Baker and Mary J. Blige who cannot hit a very high note even if their lives depended on it! Yet, they are excellent singers.

Comment

Thanks boss, some times the old grey matter freezes up, I may a CD or two of her's must go dig them up...
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Well, this one of the successful renditions of one of my all-time favourite songs. Leona Lewis at 15 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSv2_0lkO8&NR=1

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

tha girl yah can sing. I saw her on idol one time and I thought she was the best idol winner ever.

Respect Mo.

Comment

Excellent Rendition!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Well, this one of the successful renditions of one of my all-time favourite songs. Leona Lewis at 15 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSv2_0lkO8&NR=1
                              I just got a chance to listen to this version of “Loving You,” and that teen can sing!! This is excellent singing, and she moves so effortlessly through the song, hitting each note (even the very difficult ones) at perfect pitch!!

It’s hard to believe that this is the work of a fifteen-year-old, because her voice is right up there with the superstars! Also, superior talent seemingly attracts good company, because the guy who harmonizes with her is also obviously an excellent singer as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X