Imagine if Michael Jackson had taken a page from Yellowman's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine if Michael Jackson had taken a page from Yellowman's

book. Yellowman probably did more for albinos than any other person I know. He flaunted his "handicap" till girls suffered minor accidents when he appeared. I can remember the first time I saw him perform at the National Arena, I think it was. I knew he was popular, but I had no idea how much! Young gal run up and dung when di big man hit di stage. And he played it to the limit, with his effeminate swagger across the stage, while holding out the mike (now preferably called "michelle") for the crowd to sing along. Place tear dung! In later years, with jawbone removed for added fright factor, the young ladies were still "madding over him". I remember going to Rae Town one Sunday night (HL, yuh eva go dem place deh yet, go tek in a good Jamaica oldies street dance? Half yuh life gone!) with a young lady whom I thought was too good to do the groupie thing. Yeah, right! As soon as King Yellow appeared, that was it for me!

Yellowman made it cool to be...well...yellow! He made it possible for another DJ who called himself Mellow Yellow to have a short career in the business. And it's not that people wanted to extract melanin from their skin to be like Yellowman, but I honestly believe it made us all look on albinos a little differently, more favorably. Hell, look what Yellow did for the world of emoticons!

MJ would have done wonders for people suffering with vitiligo, much more than Yellow could ever have done for albinos. Indeed, it's not far-fetched to believe that people would have sought ways to copy the very shape of the skin blotches he had.

Please, I'm not being mischievous in this post. This is serious business, despite my humourous barbs here and there. You see, I'm finding it difficult to forgive MJ for becoming white. He might sing "It don't matter if you're black or white", and he's right, but it does matter if you change from black to white, or vice versa.

You see, 50 years from now the child abuse allegations will become a minor, minuscule entry on MJ's Wikipedia, and most of us would have begun to really have doubts if any of it were even remotely possible. But 50 years from now, we would still be wondering how a good-looking, afro-ed, flat-nosed 10 year old could morph into a talcum-faced, red-lipped being, with a nose that only he, Latoya and Farrah shared! (The irony!)We'll never get away from that unfortunate deed. And that is sad.

Michael was so huge a star that people would have looked right past his skin condition. The only problem with that is, maybe we would never have had that glove become part of his iconic image.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

"it don't matter if you're black or white" was him telling us to "leave me alone"!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nice commentary. You should submit it to the STAR.

I have seen Yellowman in concert 3 times. He is quite a good entertainer...

My favorite Yellow CD has the cut "2-6 Supermix. But my all time favorite CD is Yellowman Sing The Blues.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        Nice commentary. You should submit it to the STAR.

I have seen Yellowman in concert 3 times. He is quite a good entertainer...

My favorite Yellow CD has the cut "2-6 Supermix. But my all time favorite CD is Yellowman Sing The Blues.
        See wha mi a seh bout hypocrite and waggonist? Is this the same HL who had a field day licking out against daggering and modern day dancehall? Now he is here singing the praises of one of the slackest DJ's ever to touch a stage?

"Mi tek mi ten buddy/shub in har ten p*ssy"

Comment

Bricktop, do I know you!?

HL

Comment

The STAR, HL?! A dis yuh a dis mi post?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Differing Personas

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              book. Yellowman probably did more for albinos than any other person I know. He flaunted his "handicap" till girls suffered minor accidents when he appeared.

MJ would have done wonders for people suffering with vitiligo, much more than Yellow could ever have done for albinos. Indeed, it's not far-fetched to believe that people would have sought ways to copy the very shape of the skin blotches he had.
              Very good, well thought out post, Mosiah! I see the logic of what you are saying, and I certainly agree with what you’ve stated in your post. Indeed, Michael would have done immense wonders and left probably an even more lasting legacy!

However, in Michael’s defense I’m going to suggest that different personalities handle things differently, so it probably is not fair to compare Michael with Yellowman in this respect. Yellowman had no choice but to flaunt his skin defect. If King Yellowman had not taken this approach he did, we wouldn’t even be talking about him today.

In Michael’s case, he was born a “normal” person as far as that particular skin problem is concerned. Add that additional burden to his already deep-seated insecurities, his introverted personality, his childhood years of abuse, etc. and then one will more readily sympathize with Michael in taking the “hide-it-from-the-public approach he did.

This is just my simple view on the matter. But once again, Mosiah, this is an excellent discussion topic you’ve raised!

Comment

Your are quite perceptive.. I knew you would catch that STAR suggestion.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                  Bricktop, do I know you!?
                  Not unless yuh deliver a UPS package to my house recently. Now how do you defend listening to Yellowman while bashing modern day dancehall?

Comment

Haha!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good point! Yellowman was always like that. I can imagine when it started happening to MJ how...gobsmacked he was! "Why me, I take care of my nose, then this! Waaa!"

But! Yellowman did not shy away from the public after removing his jawbone! He accepted his new condition. I would like to think he could have done something about that with all the money he should have mae over the period.

And I do realise that we were not all born to be the next big spokesperson on whatever issue - race, human rights, climate change, etc.

Just thinking though, MJ would still be the greatest, with or without vitiligo!

Thanks for the kind words, Historian! Please have a talk with HL about being decent and complimentary.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh just a find a out?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                        X