Jamaica rated third happiest place in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if you examine the data carefully. For example Jamaica vs US
    US has a higher life expectancy and its people have a higher life satisfaction level but it also has a higher ecological footprint than Jamaica which is the dividing factor in the formula which drove the US score down.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Against a background of harsh economic times, Jamaica has been rated the third happiest place on earth.

In light of that study, RJR News sought reactions from some Jamaicans:
      "I'd like to know how they got that result. Did they just call up a thousand Jamaicans and take a random sample, what were the methods used. But generally I believe we are some warm people, I don't know about happy but maybe we accept things and just mellow out."
      "I think we are truly happy but sometimes we mask the sadness because I think small things make us happy."

"It depends on who looks within themselves and determine how they want happiness. If you just get up everyday saying that you don't have this and you don't have that and you get stressed out."

"Yes I was very interested when I saw that report. I wondered if it was only the tourists that they interviewed? I don't know which gully side they went on to do that interview because most of Jamaica I don't think we are happy. We are very frustrated because everyday the cost of living goes up."

"Once you hear music playing or you see a family member or you hear church it is a totally different situation especially once we have a gathering. I believe it."

The UK based New Economics Foundation report says Jamaica is the third greenest and happiest country on the planet.
      The Think Tank measures life expectancy, happiness and the environmental impact of different nations.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/19519/26/
      Another indicator of a failed state. LOL!!!
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

What finally convinced me not take these results seriously are the other countries listed as the Top 10 Happiest: Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Vietnam, Colombia, Cuba, El Salvador, Brazil, and Honduras!! Was low standard of living by the masses one of the main criteria for happiness?

If you examine the index it doesn't measure what we generally understand as "happiness". The title is a misnomer.

It is seeking to measure a country's impact on the ecology and relating that to some objective measures of living standards such as life expectancy.

The index is skewed towards countries with low environmental impacts and relatively high life expectancy or other positive demographic markers.

Countries with very high income per capita generally are industrial with acutely adverse ecological impacts... leading to low scores on this particular index.... it is totally subjective.... someone's skewed idea of "happiness".

Apart from being subjective the index is also somewhat instructive as rich people and rich countries are often the most miserable and unhappy.... money and materialism often goes hand in hand with stress, selfishness, decadence and alienation. i.e. unhappiness.

Witness rich, successful countries such as Japan and certain Scandanavian countries with tremendously high suicide rates and visibly uninspired or "unhappy" people.

Money often gets in the way of happiness.... that's the salient lesson.

But mi will tek di so called unhappiness of being rich any day ah di week!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Even so I still think it is flawed.

Haiti has denuded more than 90% of its hillside as a result of coal burning and has horrible mudslides every time a little rain falls. They have a life expectancy of about 60 years, and yet they rank 42nd and the US ranks 114th?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Still Doesn't Add Up

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            But mi will tek di so called unhappiness of being rich any day ah di week!
            LOL. I fully agree with you, boss !
            Also, you have presented a very good, certainly logical explanation, except that the picture presented in the report still does not make a lot of sense to me….

Originally posted by Islandman
            Even so I still think it is flawed.

Haiti has denuded more than 90% of its hillside as a result of coal burning and has horrible mudslides every time a little rain falls. They have a life expectancy of about 60 years, and yet they rank 42nd and the US ranks 114th?
            Exactly, Islandman! No matter how I look at it, and taking into consideration Don1’s and Za’s very good perspectives above, these results still do not make much sense to me.

Comment

You have to make yourself happy in these times, if not we would have given up long time

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                LOL. I fully agree with you, boss !
                Also, you have presented a very good, certainly logical explanation, except that the picture presented in the report still does not make a lot of sense to me….

Exactly, Islandman! No matter how I look at it, and taking into consideration Don1’s and Za’s very good perspectives above, these results still do not make much sense to me.
                As I said the index is skewed... maybe fatally so.

It is just some people's idea of how to publicize their pet cause.... the environment.

One can't take it too seriously.

Comment

They should do a study on parties/dances/session per square area.I am sure Jamaica would be number 1 , Or session per seasons , Jamaica number 1 again.

I think the happiness comes fromn the escape from these sessions.
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

LOL It's funny to Rhatid; Explain the long lines at the US embassy
                    in Kgn. Even the so called well to dos in Ja would pass out if their US visas was to be taken away. By these looney's standard the US should be a disgusting place, yet the US is plagued with an immigration problem.

Comment

First in happiest place for me to live
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

LoL

Comment

Working...
                        X