Deejays - Food For Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deejays - Food For Thought

I’m not going to make a personal comment one way or the other, not even a reply to a meaningful post. We’ve been through this before on this forum, and as I’ve pointed out in the past, many of us are, to some extent (by way of our chosen way of thinking and by the things we choose to support), a part of Jamaica’s ongoing social problem!

Here are brief (unfortunately, much too brief) words of a noted Jamaican psychiatrist.

Kill or be killed!
    Many gangsters would rather die than face humiliation in prison
    By HG HELPS Editor-at-Large Investigative Coverage Unit icu@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, July 05, 2009

THEY wield considerable power, authority and influence on the mean streets of some of Jamaica's toughest inner-city communities, earning themselves such epitaphs as 'cold', 'dog-heart', 'brazen' and even 'fearless'.

Police have often seen the empty eyes behind the guns spitting death. Senior Superintendent of Police Calvin Benjamin knows men who have boldly stated that they would rather die than be captured by the police and carted off to prison upon conviction for a crime.

IRONS... some people believe that death is better than living

"A number of accused persons are repeat offenders and one of the things that they don't like is to be arrested by the police. They would rather be killed than be arrested," said Benjamin, the head of operations at the Criminal Investigation Bureau.

Psychiatrist Dr Aggrey Irons puts most of the blame for this philosophy on the emergence of television, the cellular telephone, lottery games and the influence of deejays on the society.

"What is happening in the world today is that some people believe that death is better than living. In the eastern part of the world for example, suicide bombers have a different outlook on life. With us in this region, the advent of TV, cellular, lottery etc, all the things that make life happen fast matter now.

"There is a feeling among young men that 'If I can't make it, I might as well fake it. If I can't fake it, I might as well take it', meaning the bullet.
    "A youth will say, 'I might as well go out in a blaze of glory, because you know in prison there is this homophobic feeling that a man is going to feel up my bottom and so on'.

"There are many of these people around. The problem is also caused by the technology, the speed and the music industry. The lyrics of the deejays and the lifestyles of the deejays fuel it," Dr Irons said.

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]
    "There are many of these people around. The problem is also caused by the technology, the speed and the music industry. The lyrics of the deejays and the lifestyles of the deejays fuel it," Dr Irons said.
    Any statistics to back up this drivel?

Comment

What about the police culture of extrjudicial killings , lets face it , if faced with an adversary that promises certain death what options are left to you except how do you plan to go out?

Now put that question to a poor ghetto youth in any part of the world !

Too simplistic to blame the music, why dont we have those stats to back it up in the states where the gun lyrics is just as brazen as our DJs , when faced with options most ghetto youths suurender peace fully in the good ole USA .

To them prison is a 5 star hotel.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X