• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching maths through dancehall

Teaching maths through dancehall

By Cecelia Campbell-Livingston
    Friday, July 03, 2009
    For many students, mathematics remains a challenge, and that's why math teacher Claude Evans has come up with the idea of putting the math curriculum to music.
    CLAUDE EVANS... 'I got the idea because as a math teacher and a parent, I know the weakness of students with their times table.'

Evans, who started teaching math in 1973 after graduating from New York University, eventually gave it up to pursue his other love - playing music. He did that through his sound, African Love, even at one point managing the career of a very successful Shinehead.

He later returned to teaching part-time and now that he has more time on his hands, the math teacher is determined to make a difference in the classroom with this new project.

"I got the idea because as a math teacher and a parent, I know the weakness of students with their times table. Many students can use a calculator, whether it is a handheld calculator, a calculator in their cell phones or on a computer, to multiply two numbers, but cannot do so with pen and paper. Therefore, when they have to take a test without the use of a calculator, they fail because they take so long to multiply that the test is over before they have time to finish all the problems, or they might calculate in their head that three times four is 16, and that miscalculation will make them get the rest of the problem wrong. When this happens, it discourages the students, increases their math anxiety and they develop a dislike for math," stated Evans, in explaining how he came up with the idea for such a project.

According to Evans, he will be starting off with the multiplication tables and eventually taking on other portion of the math curriculum such as formulae and definitions.

"Each artiste will perform one table and a chorus to be created by the artiste, the producer or myself," Evans said, elaborating on the dancehall maths project.

"Each song will include two multiplication tables. each artiste will perform one table and a chorus," he shared, adding that already he has had commitments from artistes such as Tony Rebel, Queen Ifrica, Stephen McGregor, Beenie Man, Busy Signal, Mavado, Assassin and producer Don Corleon.

July 7 will see Evans in Jamaica working on the project.
    Evans could not hide his enthusiasm when he spoke with the Observer. "When I previewed the idea to some students, they seemed pretty excited about it. I sometimes get comments like 'if they had taught me the times table like this, then I would have enjoyed it!"

Evans is anticipating the completed dancehall math project as he says: "Can you imagine when their real heroes perform the songs, putting their flavour in the chorus, how much more exciting it will be?"

Dancehall artistes are not the only ones embracing this idea by Evans. After he pitched the concept to two members of the Ministry of Education and one from the Ministry of Information and Culture, he was encouraged by them to continue with the project with the assurance that if it was properly done, a recommendation would be made to both ministries to endorse its use in
    Last edited by Karl; July 4, 2009, 04:17 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

One of the most profound learning experience I have ever seen occurred in the early 80's.

I worked as a Laboratory Technologist at New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (then).

There was a Chinese student (in the process of learning english--while studying medicine..........).

This student used the traditional method of studying and learning.

Not really dissing the creative method...but why is it that "we" find it difficult to use traditional methods for basic learning?

I think it was gamma who supported patois in the class room (or something of the sort).
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

i support formalising the teaching of patois..that is correct,. i am tired of seeing you butcher our LANGUAGE!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

........how would this be applied?
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

same way any other language is "applied" .... they teach english in england, spanish in spain and russian in russia, papiamento in the dutch antilles... i don't know that they teach creole in haiti but in so fl some documents are published in creole..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

brb gone to the beach...anguilla have some LOVELY beaches and excellent restaurants!

Comment

HL many people learn better with things they know and when they see their stars taking time out to help them they know it is important.

Sorry but Beenie man have more appeal to them than Isaac Newton and Einstein at the moment. Get them involve and team them.

When I was completing my masters I read a book called naked economies and A for all econ classes as it simplified so many things using very basic examples. Not the examples that the teachers were using at that time.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

if any of unnuh evva find unnuh way to anguilla try the Straw Hat restaurant....the setting and the food were FIRST CLASS......top 3 meal i have had anywhere in the world, please believe me! from appetizers to desert....all di djinks dem....

anguilla takes great pride in their chefs and restaurants and i think they recently won some top culinary award...
                btw sitting at the table behind me was the great vlade divacs and family.

Comment

Working...
                X