Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This just endorses Paulwell's point

I just hope we are not too late in this game:

<SPAN class=storyHeadline> <H1>Giant Sucking Sound: Perot Systems Outsources To Mexico </H1>

</SPAN>

<SPAN class=storyDek><H2>Perot Systems is opening a center in Guadalajara to provide outsourced tech services like desktop support, infrastructure management, and engineering services to companies in the U.S. </H2>

</SPAN>

<SPAN class=byLine>By <U>Paul McDougall</U>
    InformationWeek </SPAN>

<SPAN class=storyDate><NOBR>Nov 10, 2006 02:00 PM</NOBR></SPAN><BR clear=all>

When billionaire H. Ross Perot ran for president in 1992, he warned that the torrent of American jobs headed south of the border as a result of the North American Free Trade Agreement would create "a giant sucking sound." On Friday, the outsourcing company founded by Perot, where he serves as chairman emeritus, disclosed that it's opening a new service center in Mexico.

Perot Systems said the center will be based in Guadalajara, and will provide a range of outsourced tech services to companies in the U.S., including desktop support, infrastructure management, and engineering services. The facility will take up several floors of the Guadalajara World Trade Business Center and contain about 270 desks from which Mexican workers will provide computer support to American businesses. Perot says it's already begun recruiting workers for the center. "We are reaching out to the best infrastructure services professionals in Mexico," the company said in a statement.

Outsourcing critics will be quick to point out the irony in Perot outsourcing jobs to Mexico, while advocates of so-called global sourcing would surely argue that U.S. business investment in Mexico will help to relieve the strain of illegal cross-border immigration as more Mexicans are able to find work at home.

Perot officials said Guadalajara was chosen as the site for the new center in part due to its location in the state of Jalisco, which the company says is well stocked with experienced IT talent. The center will be digitally linked with Perot facilities in the U.S., India and Europe.

RE: This just endorses Paulwell's point

Jawge what you think about Paulwell?

I had high hope for him at one stage but after giving away the IT money I wouldn't trust him to lead technology forward.

I hope he can surprise me but and prove that he is not green and lead the IT sector to its potential.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If you are talking about high-level skills like software development and component manufacturing yes we are already far too late. We simply don't have the number of skilled people to take a serious shot at this.

I don't know how lcose you follw the success of e-services, that has won quite a number of call-center outsourcingcontracts. As BenJ mentioned some time ago, thier CEO Casserly has to invest a lot in training because most of the secondary school graduates are not at a level to perform these functions. Now if -services is finding it hard to find qualified people to answer the phone about flight reservations, we are not ready to even discuss hitech support centers
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Endorse what point ?

That the PNP Fu(*(ed up one of the biggest opportunities developing countries have in IT based on a paper done in the 80's out ofDC that India took and acted on?

Ignored a commissioned research paper done in the mid-nineties advising a IT Regional strategy?

Looked at us like we were Aliens when we presented the opportunty and strategy in '96 ?

Mi keep telling yuh fi stap chat out of yuh a$$. Your PNP is not about development or production, they are about borrowing and civil servant welfare system.

Poor clowny.

Comment

Boss don't give up, it's not too late.

The most Ja has to do is to ease the restrictions on computers coming in the island (it's a tool not a luxury) UWI has strated to make the adjustments. Cisco certifications should be a must. Ways must be devised to have broadband access to schools from the elementary level up. We strike a deal with India and china to send in some of their teachers to teach pracical skills in the IT area. Boss nuh write off Ja, the window is closing but we still have time.

Comment

You and Paulwell sound lie two peas ina pod.. wonderful intentions.. OOPPSS.. "Youthful Exhuberance"

Sorry... tax-payers.. "Log on to Progress.. Yadda Yadda" 4th Term.. all is well..

Clowns.

Comment

Working...
            X