Buju's Too Bad CD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buju's Too Bad CD.

I guess this is not the "enlightened" thing to say but personally I amthrilled that Buju has put out a hardcore dancehall CD this time around.

I like roots reggae as much as anyone else but personally I think that Buju is pretty average in that genre while with hardcore dancehall he is among the best to ever hold a mic. Ok Til Shiloh is obviously an exception but even that had a strong dancehall flavor to it.

Really love that "Driver" tune. Takes me back to the 90s when Buju was putting out hit after hit after hit. I notice Lazie'screw was playing it constantly at them conference over the weekend. Can't blame them, it really get the crowd going.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

RE: Buju's Too Bad CD.

Funny enough, is this weekend a few of us were talking that he should have stuck with the hardcore thing.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yes ah man tell mi say di

Driver ah run tings ah yaad. Yuh waan know say mi nuh hear it yet.

Comment

I notice Lazie'screw was playing it constantly at them conference over the weekend.
        But wait.....since when de CIA start listen to Buju? - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

no yuh is serious almshouse

LOL

Comment

I personally find the Driver chune ordinary. All my friends say it will grow on me. I hope not. Why do the gun man chunes, those promoting violence and mayhem and illegal activites all become so popular? Really says something about us as a people. Admittedly, some a dem nice, as we seem to spend more time creating them, but Driver...blech!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A just through it deh pon the Taxi Riddim and Buju ride it good but nothing really original.

the Taxi riddim is a safe bet for a hit song from Little Roy, to Johnnnie Osbourne to Foxy Brown etc.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jawge (11/21/2006)no yuh is serious almshouse

LOL
                But Jawge...nuh de man seh "Lazie's crew"....if notthe CIAthen who? - T.K.
                No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

I have never really bought the argument about our love for gunman tunes showing our tendency for violence any more thanmafia shows like The Sopranos or rap music (now that it is maintstream ) shows that about the US or anwhere else they are popular.Manypeoplejust have aside that is curious abouttheunderworld that they have little knowledge of and when a DJ or a movieuncovers it in an authentic way it attracts an audience.

I do believe that its influence on young people who don't have a strong familiy background to keep them incheck them can be significant though.

I find the song funny, especially the part that say him woman want wear Victoria Secret draws.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It does affect the Youngsters who have no direction. Remember when Karate show just came in? Everybody a Kick and tun Chiney man.

The point is that even these US movies and music do affect our kids as well but it will take guidance still to stop the influence by giving them other things to do. A little bit a the badman tune may not be so bad but a daily dose 24/7can be harmful.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

<DIV>I have. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>When you have an ignorant population as we do, they live and die, mostly the latter, by what they hear and see in music and film. "Informer fi dead" is but one phrase that was popularised in the dancehall and you can't tell people different. No, I don't believe it was already out there. Probably was, but was reinforced by our music. At the very least, even if people don't do the killing, they are less shocked when it happens. Afterall, the rule says...</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Islandman, we have too many examples of people running with what is being said in dancehall. One day I going to do some research into it.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

excellent idea to do a research MO. I would love to see what the answer is.

Comment

I agree that it reinforces it and gives it an amount of authenticityso to speak but rarely does the thinking originate with the music.

"When you have an ignorant population as we do".....

Wow, you don't mince words do you?

Comment

<DIV>No, the artistes are rarely ever the originators.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Bredren, when yuh vex bout what a gwaan round 'ere, yuh just haffi talk plain. Because if wi not honest about it wi not going to realise that wi have some serious work to do. Last week, some radio show went to some high schools (won't mention their names) and spoke to the administration. All a dem were saying how dem schools doing well. Now, these schools were not Campion, Hapmton or Munro . We have gotten use to 30% passes that we think it alright. Dat's why mi just laugh when mi read yessiday dat Paulwell pushing di country as an IT centre again. How it fi happen when wi suh **** dunce! Yuh tink India wid dem billion people and engineers up the ying-yang getting scared dat Jamaica going to box bread (or roti) outta dem mout?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Talk it plain yuh 'ear. Tings bad round 'ere!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (11/22/2006)<DIV>No, the artistes are rarely ever the originators.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Bredren, when yuh vex bout what a gwaan round 'ere, yuh just haffi talk plain. Because if wi not honest about it wi not going to realise that wi have some serious work to do. Last week, some radio show went to some high schools (won't mention their names) and spoke to the administration. All a dem were saying how dem schools doing well. Now, these schools were not Campion, Hapmton or Munro . We have gotten use to 30% passes that we think it alright. Dat's why mi just laugh when mi read yessiday dat Paulwell pushing di country as an IT centre again. How it fi happen when wi suh **** dunce! Yuh tink India wid dem billion people and engineers up the ying-yang getting scared dat Jamaica going to box bread (or roti) outta dem mout?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Talk it plain yuh 'ear. Tings bad round 'ere!</DIV>
                              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                              X