X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black ... and ugly

Black ... and ugly

Published: Monday | June 29, 2009

Martin Henry's Sunday Gleaner piece, 'The brown man wins' (June 21), opened up a flood of memories, impressions and feelings of sadness for my Jamaican people. If I could alter my appearance, the one thing that I would never change is the colour of my skin. Sadly, this is not true for many other Jamaicans. I strongly believe that this lack of pride in self has contributed greatly to our social problems.

People who have a healthy love and respect for themselves and their fellow man cannot exploit their brothers and sisters or watch them suffer or steal from and murder them (especially those suffering under the same socio-economic trials and tribulations). This hate (of their own dark skin, painful circumstances and frustration) becomes projected on to others and makes it easy to lash out at them. I believe that this is one reason why many people in the poorer communities fight among themselves instead of cooperating for the good of all.

Significant handicap
    Many see a dark skin colour as a significant handicap. After listening to me deliver the eulogy at the funeral of a family friend, a (very senior) patient of mine, who is also a life-long, committed Christian and an avid churchgoer stopped me as I exited the church. She wanted to tell me that she thought that I was doing well in spite of my obvious colour 'handicap'. She meant well when she tried to praise me and blurted out excitedly (in front of two of her sons - who were professionals and of the same hue as the rest of us), "Although yuh black and ugly, continue to hold up yuh head!" She went on to say how proud she was of me.

The words 'black' and 'ugly' were inexorably linked by people of a bygone era, so much so that it became one term, 'black and ugly'. To their generation, black was ugly so one could not be black without being ugly.

An intent to insult
    Subsequent generations don't use the term 'black and ugly' unless there is an intent to insult. However, just below the surface is a feeling that black is still indeed ugly. This explains the persistent and unabashed use of dangerous skin- bleaching agents among so many young people. This accounts for the silent admiration of those 'fortunate' enough to be 'clear-skinned' - and, therefore, more likely to cop better mates and opportunities in life.

This skin colour problem is not an imaginary one. Many Jamaicans are more likely to accept leadership (at the job and even in the political arena) from someone with a fairer skin. When clients/customers see that a business

employs a 'white-looking' worker in a supervisory role (of course), it is perceived as 'progress'. And, the workers are much more likely to obey such an individual unless he/she has strong negative personality traits or if jealousy and/or if reverse racism comes into play.

I long for the time when we see the true beauty within us. Hopefully, then we will love one another and all this aggression and hate will be a bad memory.

Inspiration
    As for the inspiration for Martin's article: When the People's National Party remonstrated about the dual citizenship thing way back in 2007; they should have planned well ahead and began working within the constituency by installing someone significant to challenge the Jamaica Labour Party's member of parliament. The 11th-hour choice of 'disposable candidates' was silly. It serves them right but (unfortunately) serves us wrong. It's not (politically) healthy to give any one party such a feeling of invulnerability.

Garth A. Rattray is a medical doctor with a family practice. Feedback may be sent to garthrattray@gmail.com or columns@gleanerjm.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Black ... and ugly
    This skin colour problem is not an imaginary one. Many Jamaicans are more likely to accept leadership (at the job and even in the political arena) from someone with a fairer skin.

Aaaahh bwoy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuttin new here....not only Jakans have this view, but Indians, Chinese & Latins tink so as well.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Maybe this explains it:

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          She wanted to tell me that she thought that I was doing well in spite of my obvious colour 'handicap'. She meant well when she tried to praise me and blurted out excitedly (in front of two of her sons - who were professionals and of the same hue as the rest of us), "Although yuh black and ugly, continue to hold up yuh head!" She went on to say how proud she was of me.
          How on god's green earth could someone "mean well" when uttering such words?

Comment

At the urging of my girlfriend, I tried to watch BET on Sunday to see the tribute to Michael Jackson. But I quickly turned away, when I saw:

1. The young man, with his pants down and his DRAWS showing;

2. ThAT idiot with the big arse chain around his neck

I WILL NEVER pay money to see this piece of S-H-I-T called entertainment!

What is wrong wid these stupid black people. They need to research their history and see how dapper the poor black folks use to dress in the days, and now them have too much DOUGH and look like Thugs a come from PRISON!
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

At dat mi ah seh tuh???

Comment

er... mdme x that is because a good portion of them ARE thugs whey a come from prison?!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

BET awards was really something else. Man a curse all manner of badword, then talk bout big up Mike in the same performance. That show was a disaster.

Comment

Now, look how ROYAL Stevie and the sista look. Dem mi would pay fi watch!
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

MJ personified that Theme Black and Ugly , no way I was watching that crap on BET.To me he died a long time ago.

Funny how black america disowned him when he started the metamorphisis to be an old white woman , but embraced him when he died as thier own , but isnt that the irony he is our own, thats what we are doing the world over in the african diaspora , bleaching to fit in and disowining when exposed as sell outs , Those that hold tight to thier africanness are grudlingly accepted as (Black & ugly but educated ).We claim when appropriate these bleachers as our own .

Whether physical bleaching, verbally bleaching as in (black & ugly but...) its no different than MJ father teasing him about his flat broad nose or bleaching by physical deeds ( crab inna barrell mentality) we are doing it to fit in or get ahead the legacy of slaver, Good hair bad hair ,lips , thighs shape etc.

Mental slavery , tied into all forms of slavery economic and femminit.I blasted them all at work about it , no tears shed here for MJ the african , more sadness on the part of a great entertainer has died , but if you ask me if i had rather he lived and died as a proud african , i would choose the latter.

MJ death has left more questions on the African mental state than anything else in my opinion as time goes by his music will be remembered as great , his influence on the african mental state will be regarded as what it is for the past 400 years of slavery a mental freak show trying to find its african soul.
                      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

but they do!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sarcasm ?

Comment

Xhibit, quick question.

"To me he died a long time ago."

Why yuh take that position?
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

black AND ugly....coulda been black widout being ugly and ugly widout being black. it actually look like a personal indictment on di man hiself...him not only black..him ugly tuh!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X