• Show
Clear All

• There are some thinking people in JA

they know what's on the horizon. Read on:<DIV id=printReady>

Technology - a tool for transformation
    published: Sunday | November 19, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

<B PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">Marguerite Orane, Contributor[/B]

<SMALL PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">Orane </SMALL><P PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">As we consider the dire urgency and the magnitude of transforming the Jamaican education system, and the seeming impossibility of the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">system</SPAN> transforming itself, I am once again brought to thinking about basic laws of nature, in particular Newton's First Law of Motion which states that: "An object in a state of rest or constant motion tends to remain in that state of rest or constant motion unless an external force is applied to it." (This law is also appropriately called the Law of Inertia). <P PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">Applied to organisational transformation, the "object" would be the education system and the "state of motion" is the current rate of progress, or lack thereof. <P PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">Before considering the external force, I want to stay at the level of questioning for a while and ask: exactly what are we transforming - education or the education system? For, we could transform the latter without transforming the former. However, if we transform the former, the transformation of the latter must happen.

<B PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">External force[/B] <P PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">If transformation of education is the goal, then what is the external force that will transform it? There is no doubt that visionary, action-based <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">leadership</SPAN> is that force; however, given the magnitude of the gap between where we are and where we must go, such leadership requires a tool that will disrupt the status quo in a most fundamental way. The most dramatic and impactful changes in human history are being wrought right now with the advent and development of information and communications technology (ICT). <P PyE_E="0" sysOa="0">Dream with me a bit - suppose technology could put the power of learning in each student's hands? Suppose each child could have instant access to libraries, encyclopedias, dictionaries, music, <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,2); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,2); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,2); href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20061119/focus/focus4.html#" target=_new><FONT style="FONT-WEIGH

RE: There are some thinking people in JA

Here we go again; silence. I bet if this lady had

some suss or scandal; the usual supects would be all over this article . Now that something progressive is being mentioned; we have silence not a word from the gallery.

Comment

Your problem is you behind time. This was published from Sunday. When yuh reach Tuesday mek we know.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

[quote]Jawge (11/21/2006)they know what's on the horizon. Read on:<DIV id=printReady>

Technology - a tool for transformation
        published: Sunday | November 19, 2006
        <DIV class=KonaBody>

<B sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Marguerite Orane, Contributor[/B]

<SMALL sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Orane </SMALL><P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">As we consider the dire urgency and the magnitude of transforming the Jamaican education system, and the seeming impossibility of the system transforming itself, I am once again brought to thinking about basic laws of nature, in particular Newton's First Law of Motion which states that: "An object in a state of rest or constant motion tends to remain in that state of rest or constant motion unless an external force is applied to it." (This law is also appropriately called the Law of Inertia). <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Applied to organisational transformation, the "object" would be the education system and the "state of motion" is the current rate of progress, or lack thereof. <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Before considering the external force, I want to stay at the level of questioning for a while and ask: exactly what are we transforming - education or the education system? For, we could transform the latter without transforming the former. However, if we transform the former, the transformation of the latter must happen. <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">External force <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">If transformation of education is the goal, then what is the external force that will transform it? There is no doubt that visionary, action-based leadership is that force; however, given the magnitude of the gap between where we are and where we must go, such leadership requires a tool that will disrupt the status quo in a most fundamental way. The most dramatic and impactful changes in human history are being wrought right now with the advent and development of information and communications technology (ICT). <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Dream with me a bit - suppose technology could put the power of learning in each student's hands? Suppose each child could have instant access to libraries, encyclopedias, dictionaries, music, current news, opinions as and when they wish? Suppose each child could participate in the largest community in the world - the online community, by posting their own news and opinions? Can you imagine how motivated children would be to learn? <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Such a scenario is a real possibility due to an initiative of the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Media Lab - One Laptop Per Child (OLPC). This initiative grew out of a commitment to bridge the digital divide between the developed and developing worlds, in the shortest possible time, by harnessing the power of ICT. The basic premise is that the laptop is "a window into the world and a tool with which to think" - something which all children are capable of, given the tools! <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">OLPC has now developed a prototype of a laptop that costs US$100.00 and which features, among other things: <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Linux-based operating system, ensuring that software is free <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">4 USB ports, but no hard drive <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Wireless broadband <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Local area network <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Independent power supply, e.g., windup <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Sturdy, heavy-duty case <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">OLPC proposes to supply these laptops through ministries of education, with minimum order quantities of 1 million units. It is expected that production will start in 2007. <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Vast network <P sysOa="0" PyE_E="0">Imagine each Jamaican child with their own laptop! Imagine the pride of each child going to and from home, sc
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Erm, bright boy so because it was published

Sunday, why can't it be discussed on Tuesday? Now I am getting a deep insight as to why the PNP is running rings around you guys. Wooeeeee LOL Lazie yuh funny bad. That's all you have to say. Bet if it was a suss or scandal in the PNP I would get alengthy response.

Comment

You just see the article, enjoy yuhself. I saw it from Sunday .. when yuh reach Tuesday .. talk to me.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well Tk that is nice and good, if you take wider look you

will aslo see many different nationalities (third world countries too)accomplishing what you mentioned . The premise of my argument is that the info age has opened the window for JA to rise from being third world coontry. This can be achieved my giving the masses (regullar jakan people) quality education. You may think I doubt the mental ability of the Jakan people but you are wrong (if not I would not be advocating technology and education for JA) You should also see my post about the young lady who was doing sewing in Ja but came to the states and holds a phd in microbiology. The info age is making it that you don't necesarilay have to come to the states to attain those lofty heights (I think that's the point Ornae's article). Anything else?

Comment

Yes but did you comment on it?

that's exactly my point Lazie. aaah boy.

Comment

Thats why I cannot take you seriously. Mi say read Tuesday paper then talk to me. At this point, have an unfair advantage.

Comment

Jawge (11/21/2006)Well Tk that is nice and good, if you take wider look you

will aslo see many different nationalities (third world countries too)accomplishing what you mentioned . The premise of my argument is that the info age has opened the window for JA to rise from being third world coontry. This can be achieved my giving the masses (regullar jakan people) quality education. You may think I doubt the mental ability of the Jakan people but you are wrong (if not I would not be advocating technology and education for JA) You should also see my post about the young lady who was doing sewing in Ja but came to the states and holds a phd in microbiology. The info age is making it that you don't necesarilay have to come to the states to attain those lofty heights (I think that's the point Ornae's article). Anything else?
                    Okay thank you sir. I was confused. I thought you were saying that we did not have the mental capabilities to do well and that our students were leaving high school uneducated. My mistake. - T.K.
                    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

No problem boss, clarity is one the

best things in the world. The education atsecondary level has been properly addressed since 1972. The next hurdle is to provide quality education at the tertiary level (which will also spread to a wider cross section via community colleges) cosnsitent with the info age. I believe Jakans can achieve lofty heights, if given the right opportunity. Bless.

Comment

Jawge (11/21/2006)No problem boss, clarity is one the

best things in the world. The education atsecondary level has been properly addressed since 1972. The next hurdle is to provide quality education at the tertiary level (which will also spread to a wider cross section via community colleges) cosnsitent with the info age. I believe Jakans can achieve lofty heights, if given the right opportunity. Bless.
                        HAHAHAHA! What the fornication is Jawge talking about? Cho .. as usual, democracy without education is damn useless.

Comment

Joshua never help yuh inna di

reading Dept? :P

Comment

again, read today's gleaner.

Comment

Your party had something to say

about IT in today's gleaner?

Comment

Working...
                              X