Should the President say more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the President say more?

'Looks like there will be no formal statement from President Obama on Michael Jackson's death. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters that Obama sent his condolences to the Jackson family and fans. When asked why a formal statement would not be released, Gibbs said, "Because I just said it."'
    Looks like there will be no formal statement from President Obama on Michael Jackson's death. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters that Obama sent his condolences to the Jackson family and fans. When asked why a formal statement would not be released, Gibbs said, "Because I just said it."

Obama’s thoughts on Michael Jackson’s death

By Jimmy Orr | 06.26.09
    What’s President Obama’s reaction to the death of pop superstar Michael Jackson? White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was asked about it this afternoon.
    “I talked to him about it this morning,” Gibbs said. “He said to me that obviously Michael Jackson was a spectacular performer and a music icon and I think everybody remembers hearing his songs and watching him moonwalk on television during Motown’s 25th anniversary.”
    “But the president also said aspects of his life were sad and tragic,” Gibbs continued. “His condolences went out to the Jackson family and to fans that mourned his loss.”
    Why no statement?
    “Because I just said it,” Gibbs said.
    ————
    Follow us on Twitter!

Comments

1. Ced | 06.26.09

Hell no! Obama better say something!!

2. Catherine | 06.26.09

That Gibbs has an attiude that we can all expect from now on from The White House
    My opinion? What a Cocky Jerk!!!!! Catherine

3. Jack Frake | 06.26.09

Why no mention of Farrah? Isn’t the President being racist. What if a white president had just mentioned Farrah’s death and not Jacksons!!!!!!!!!
    Where’s the media on this…deaf again.

4. sea_monster | 06.26.09

This plus the harassment Obama got during that Iran press conference in the bullpen a few days ago…the WH reporters are looking as headless as the GOP. So glad that the person driving the ship can detect misdirection and BS from a mile away.

5. Thinking Not Drinking | 06.26.09

Smart move; Jackson is loved and hated with the same fury as a lion on an elk.

6. Felix Yawson | 06.26.09

I am a big supporter of Obama but sometimes his actions are to “careful”. What is he afraid of making a statement???? That the GOP will call him a celebrity?

7. Andrew | 06.26.09

I love Gibbs. I hope he keeps that Cocky attitude in dealing with the press.

8. please | 06.26.09

obama please say something about micheal

9. why | 06.26.09

why is Obama required to say something to the public?? He sent his condolences directly to the family. That’s plenty… let’s get on with more important issues.

10. Ali Ali | 06.26.09

Micheal’s death should be viewed in the context of American race relations. Micheal at came to stardome not by suport of blacks only but rather by majority of whats. He signifies, unity in love. Before there was Oprah, was Micheal, and before Obama was Micheal. In this context it is only worth that Obama acknowledge Micheals contribution to his own presidential election. A uniter in music is a uniter of society. This is why society, blacks, whites, asian, oboriginals, African are weeping. And this is why men, women, leaders and followers sare weeping. reconizing this wont hurt

11. stillhoping4change | 06.26.09

This is pretty sad.. the white house has something to say about everything. When people actually need words, nothing.

12. Scott | 06.26.09

You said it. Gibbs is a JERK!! And what would it hurt for B.O. to say something. The Jacksons and the world would appreciate it.

13. Steve Johnson | 06.26.09

Why in the world should anyone care what Obama thinks about Michael Jackson? He died. He was famous. Big deal. There are no national policy ramifications. I’m sorry MJ died. I bet Obama is too. But it’s not the place of the President to comment.

14. Wombat | 06.26.09

Why? Michael Jackson’s death is tragic, but is it any more tragic than the thousands who die of hunger each day? Should Obama comment on each of them? Should we hold vigils for them?

15. TW | 06.26.09

WHO CARES?

16. cloudgazer | 06.26.09

I don’t see the big deal…Obama did say something. And, Gibbs was communicating Obama’s response. Simple as that.

17. Andrew | 06.26.09

Michael Jackson started out as blockbuster talent, ended up as a freak show that nobody cared about up until a day ago and now that he’s a corpse people go crazy for him.
    Praise people more when they are alive not dead.

18. George | 06.26.09

Get your priorities straight people, we don’t want or need a statement from Obama on this entertainer.

19. Joe | 06.26.09

@ Ced… should we also expect a formal statement from Potus on Farrah Fawcett? Ed MacMahon? David Carradine? What makes MJ so much more special than all the other entertainers that the pres has to say something about HIM? Part of me believes the only reason anyone expected a statment in the first place was because a black entertainer died while we have a sitting black president. Outside of race, there’s no real reason Obama would stop his day-to-day to pay respects to MJ.
    I think the statement Gibbs gave was enough. While MJ will be missed and his contributions to pop culture can’t be denied, POTUS has more pressing matters to attend to at the moment.

20. laj | 06.26.09

Obama doesn’t have to respond to the death of Michael. The world has spoken.Why should we make a big deal out of the president not responding to Michael’s death. Michael was a legend and an awesome dancer, singer, etc.

21. SK | 06.26.09

give him a break - not to say MJ’s death is not worth mentioning,
    but he’s got much more important things to take care of,

22. Really? | 06.26.09

Obama is the President of the United States, he has to be on the job 24-7, he can’t take a break to mourn this era’s Elvis and give a speech on it. It doesn’t mean he’s not sad or disappointed to hear it, but get real! And this isn’t a color issue, it’s a “need to move on and do my job leading a nation” issue.
    Let me guess, did you take off work (or from your job search) today because of MJ?

23. Steve | 06.26.09

You can expect even less of Obama’s promised transparency since he can’t pass his agenda by being open. As any narcissistic person, it’s who he is.

24. bpw | 06.26.09

Why must the President say anything about this? Doesn’t it occur to you he has far more important matters to attend to? It is a private matter of Jackson’s family. I appreciate and recognize Michael’s contributions but am tired of the media making such a big deal out of it.

25. SK | 06.26.09

not to say MJ’s death is not worth mentioning,
    but there are much more important/pressing matters that Obama should be paying attention to,
    FYI, not everyone is preoccupied with celebrities

26. Amy | 06.26.09

Why would anyone expect a national response/announcement from Obama on the death of MJ? MJ is not #1 a political figure and #2 in any way a model patriotic american.
    MJ has been an embarassment many times throughout his life, and when the final chapters are written, I have no doubt that it will be found that drugs were involved in his death.
    In the grand scheme of things, MJ IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!! Honestly people, get over it!!!

27. Frank | 06.26.09

It is unfortunate for the entertainment world that Michael Jackson died and sad for his family on a personal level. But let’s face it: the President is burdened with a multitude of national and international problems that are significantly more important. Every time a rock icon or sports figure dies is not a cause for a white house statement. I realize that our priorities are all askew today where we venerate people in sports and entertainment. But this is outside the sphere of acting as the President of the United States.

28. Maggie O’really | 06.26.09

The POTUS should not be expected to make an in-person comment about the death of this era’s Elvis. The USA has a lot of hardships and Obama is focusing on his job, leave him alone.
    Let me guess, you took a day off to mourn MJ? I am sure your employer appreciates your focus.

29. Adam | 06.26.09

OK, get a grip America, Obama is probably a lil busy with a near civl war in Iram, a civil war in Pakistan, a war in Afganistan, something in Iraq I think, oh yeah and the bankers keep bending us over and he is trying to stop them… M.J.’s life and death were tragic, I actually cried, but I am SO HAPPY that Obama has been busy with other things. We have Anderson Cooper for 24 hour M.J. coverage. Sheesh. Did you even hear what is going on in Iran? I suggest you get off TMZ and get a clue.

30. nothing to say | 06.26.09

I think so too. What should Obama have to say??

31. Patty | 06.26.09

Who cares what his thoughts on Michael’s death are? The president has more important things to do than to make some public statment about the death of a celebrity!!
    Yes, Michael was great, he was a pop icon, but he turned into another Hollywood freak show.
    Frankly I’m tired of all the top news stories being about celebrities. If you want to hear gossip on celebrities then read The Enquirer or something!
    Last edited by Mosiah; June 26, 2009, 05:19 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

He Said Enough!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Looks like there will be no formal statement from President Obama on Michael Jackson's death. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters that Obama sent his condolences to the Jackson family and fans. When asked why a formal statement would not be released, Gibbs said, "Because I just said it."
    This is an interesting and thought-provoking post you’ve made, Mosiah. I’m also happy that you chose to include the various responses. I read it yesterday and thought of replying, but then decided to give someone else an opportunity to share their feelings first. Since no one has said anything, I will.

I believe that the President did all that he’s obliged to do when he issued that brief statement through his press secretary. It does not mean that he is unaware or unaffected by Michael Jackson’s death. We (Jackson fans) run the risk of expecting the President to comment on every major issue and event (and Michael Jackson, a true giant, was indeed “major” in every sense of the word). Once he speaks personally on Michael, however, the President runs the risk of starting a precedent that he and those who succeed him will have to follow: that is, commenting personally on the death of every major celebrity.

And how will he be viewed if, today, he commented on Michael but tomorrow, when a major white celebrity dies he neglects to comment? And how does one determine which celebrity the President should comment on and which he should keep silent on?

Farrah Fawcett Major also died on the same day as Michael. Should the President have commented on Michael but kept silent on Farrah? (I’m not saying, by the way, that Farrah’s “greatness” is by any means on the same level of Michael, because it is certainly not, regardless of how we choose to compare them.) Should the previous President have commented on the death of James Brown? We’re talking here about a Pandora box that, once opened, will be difficult to close.

I think the President should confine his personally delivered comments to issues of national and international importance as far as American domestic policy, foreign policy, economic problems, etc. are concerned.

Comment

Working...
    X