X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 152 murdered in May

JamaicaObserver.com

Posted: 6/23/2009 12:40:04 PM

MURDERS rose 25 per cent to 152 in May. The year's total, up to June, is now 628. This compares to 688 murders during the corresponding period in 2008 and 589 for 2007.

While incidents of murder, shooting and rape have declined from last year by 24, 11 and 17 per cents respectively, carnal abuse rose 25 per cent.

Meanwhile, crimes of theft, which have likely been spurred by increased poverty caused by the recession, have risen this year. Robbery is up five per cent, break-ins 67 per cent and larceny 44 per cent.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Those are civil war type numbers. During the Nepalese civil war, 13,400 people were killed between 1996-2006, and they have a population that is 10 times more than fi we!
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Failed State Status?

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      MURDERS rose 25 per cent to 152 in May. The year's total, up to June, is now 628. This compares to 688 murders during the corresponding period in 2008 and 589 for 2007.

Meanwhile, crimes of theft, which have likely been spurred by increased poverty caused by the recession, have risen this year. Robbery is up five per cent, break-ins 67 per cent and larceny 44 per cent.
      The logical follow-up question to these homicide statistics, extremely high for a country that is not experiencing a civil war or a prolonged attack by foreign forces, is this: Is Jamaica approaching that unenviable socio-economic condition where we’re ready to be classified as a “Failed State”?

In addition to these violent crime stats, with several pockets of the country ruled by dons and with those communities effectively being a law unto themselves, with the economy collapsing to the point where there are hints of a move back to that lender of last resort, the International Monetary Fund, and with a general confused focus and lack of will on the part of our politicians (fiddling while Rome burns), isn’t 21st century Jamaica an unbelievable mess?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        The logical follow-up question to these homicide statistics, extremely high for a country that is not experiencing a civil war or a prolonged attack by foreign forces, is this: Is Jamaica approaching that unenviable socio-economic condition where we’re ready to be classified as a “Failed State”?

In addition to these violent crime stats, with several pockets of the country ruled by dons and with those communities effectively being a law unto themselves, with the economy collapsing to the point where there are hints of a move back to that lender of last resort, the International Monetary Fund, and with a general confused focus and lack of will on the part of our politicians (fiddling while Rome burns), isn’t 21st century Jamaica an unbelievable mess?
        I for one had taken the position that Jamaica was a failed state years ago, but sorry Historian, I seriously have to disagree with the IMF comment. What is wrong with going into a borrowing relationship with the IMF? They've admitted to their mistakes and have changed their approach. What the gov't must be knocked for is taking this long to draw down funds from the IMF, but seeing your post of panic, maybe Sass and others are right ... the gov't have to sell it to the people.

Pity.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Misinterpretation?

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          I for one had taken the position that Jamaica was a failed state years ago, but sorry Historian, I seriously have to disagree with the IMF comment. What is wrong with going into a borrowing relationship with the IMF? They've admitted to their mistakes and have changed their approach. What the gov't must be knocked for is taking this long to draw down funds from the IMF, but seeing your post of panic, maybe Sass and others are right ... the gov't have to sell it to the people.

Pity.
          Lazie, I didn’t make my position clear in my first reply above. There is nothing wrong with the IMF today, and for precisely the reason you’ve given! What I meant was that when a country is forced to turn to the IMF, as Jamaica seemingly is once again, then there can be no greater sign of failure of local economic management than that! Countries do not turn to the IMF, which dispenses long-term loans for balance of payment problems, etc. (as opposed to the World Bank, which provides short-term loans for developmental purposes) because they just “need some money”! The IMF represents, as it were, the final frontier for a truly desperate country. That is the context in which my statement was made.

Also, and again there is obvious misinterpretation, my post is not one of panic! (Maybe you were simply being deliberately cynical?) I simply asked a question about our readiness for entry into the “Failed State” arena, and then stated several reasons why we might be ready to be so classified.

Comment

Lazie, I didn’t make my position clear in my first reply above. There is nothing wrong with the IMF today, and for precisely the reason you’ve given! What I meant was that when a country is forced to turn to the IMF, as Jamaica seemingly is once again, then there can be no greater sign of failure of local economic management than that! Countries do not turn to the IMF, which dispenses long-term loans for balance of payment problems, etc. (as opposed to the World Bank, which provides short-term loans for developmental purposes) because they just “need some money”! The IMF represents, as it were, the final frontier for a truly desperate country. That is the context in which my statement was made.

Also, and again there is obvious misinterpretation, my post is not one of panic! (Maybe you were simply being deliberately cynical?) I simply asked a question about our readiness for entry into the “Failed State” arena, and then stated several reasons why we might be ready to be so classified.
            Well I will admit I misinterpreted your post as a panic post. Apologies! However, as a proponent of sourcing funds from these various agencies the gov't was way too slow to make this move. Various revenues such as bauxite have declined, tax collections are going to decrease therefore this move should have been made from long time.

Comment

Jamaica is far from being a failed state. Those who believe that are alarmists.

Jamaica is a functioning democracy ... but one with severe systemic problems.

In Jamaica:

1. Elections determine the government of the day and are universally accepted

2. A professional (though inefficient and subject to corruption) civil service administers public affairs

3. People are free to associate and express views

4. The press is very free & vibrant if somewhat limited

5. Police and military services are available though unsatisfactory

6. The judiciary is impartial though underfunded.

7. Social mobility is possible through education

8. Plus #1 ....Man have nuff gyal an gyal ina bungle, cyar an cellie

It's nonsensical to speak of a failed state in the case of Jamaica... but it does get those proponents of that nonsense some attention.

For failed states look to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Myanmar, Somalia etc.
              Last edited by Don1; June 23, 2009, 06:03 PM.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Jamaica safe man.

Wi all beat Trinidad in the Failed State index..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_States_Index

LOL !! WHOEE !!

Trindad demanding a RECOUNT !!

LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                  Jamaica safe man.

Wi all beat Trinidad in the Failed State index..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_States_Index

LOL !! WHOEE !!

Trindad demanding a RECOUNT !!

LOL !
                  Betta dan FIFA rankings

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Countries do not turn to the IMF, which dispenses long-term loans for balance of payment problems, etc. (as opposed to the World Bank, which provides short-term loans for developmental purposes)

I believe you have the terms of the financing provided by these 2 institutions reversed.

Comment

I agree. The basic components of the society are functioning, though they are far from acceptable.

If Jamaica is a failed state then the bar would be set high enough to include at least 30% of the nations in the world in that category.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I tek Pakistan off that list, and dem is not a failed state (not yet). One ting fi sure, numerous Jakan gov't have FAILED to protect the average citizen from crime.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          I tek Pakistan off that list, and dem is not a failed state (not yet). One ting fi sure, numerous Jakan gov't have FAILED to protect the average citizen from crime.
                          Pakistan is #9 on the index posted by Maudib.... after my guesstimate was posted.

Comment

They didnt "fail" in the T20 WCup though. LoL

Comment

The list old. Iceland and Belgium get big score, yet we know that Iceland Hedge fund get lick and Belgium's debt dwarf their GDP.

Comment

Working...
                              X