RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pogue’s Productivity Secrets Revealed -for the techno savvy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pogue’s Productivity Secrets Revealed -for the techno savvy!

By DAVID POGUE

"Dear David," wrote a reader recently. "When will you share your productivity tips with us? Not everyone can write five books a year, file two columns a week, churn out a daily blog, speak 40 times a year and film a video every Thursday. What are your secrets?"
    Well, I don't know how secret they are. But here goes.
    * I work at home. That's two, three or four hours more work time each day that I don't spend commuting.
    Continue reading...
    * I use typing-expansion software. You can read more about the software here, but the point is that I type only the first couple letters of many common words, and the software expands the rest. Since so much of my writing is technology-related, a lot of these words come up often--and they tend to be long ones.
    * I use dictation software. When I have long-form writing to do, like a book, I dictate into Dragon NaturallySpeaking. My wife once clocked me at 120 words a minute, and that's including making corrections. It's just insanely fast (providing, of course, you know what you want to say).
    * I know where everything is. Years ago, I started using an address-book program that's now called iData 3. It's a freeform database, meaning that the "cards" in this database don't have separate fields for Name, Street, City and so on; instead, you can type or paste whatever you want into each freeform card.
    This program doesn't play well with field-based contact managers like Google's or the iPhone's, but the beauty is that it holds whatever you want: recipes, brainstorms, article fragments, driving directions, lists, Web addresses and so on. And you can find anything in a fraction of a second. (Actually, iData now lets you create field-based databases as well, but my freeform database has been growing since about 1988 and I'm not about to convert it.)
    * The other database I use is my e-mail program. I'm not a believer in the "empty your Inbox every day" philosophy; in fact, my Inbox is my To Do list, which works great. When I've dealt with something, I delete or file it. When I haven't, its presence in that list reminds me that it needs doing. (I have a lot of e-mail folders. I also have a lot of "message rules" that file incoming mail automatically into appropriate folders.)
    * I use macro software. I can't understand why "press a key to launch a program" features aren't standard in Mac OS X and Windows. (Yeah, I know, Windows has a limited version of this, involving shortcut icons. But I want to make up my own keyboard shortcuts, and as many as I want.)
    So I use Shift-Control-W to open Microsoft Word, Shift-Control-C for my calendar program, and so on. The less I have to use the mouse, the faster I fly.
    * I have a great calendar program. It's Now Up-to-Date, a very old but very brilliant networkable, cross-platform calendar program. I can edit appointments on my laptop while on a trip; when I return, my changes get merged into my wife's and kids' computers automatically.
    * I don't waste time. I travel a lot for speaking engagements--so much that the $60 a month I have to pay for my tiny Sprint USB cellular modem stick seems like a bargain. It means I can be online in a car, in the X-ray line at the airport, on a plane stuck on the runway, and so on.
    My 3-pound laptop is my main machine, by the way, for the same reason--so that I can be productive during any little blob of downtime.
    * Finally, I enjoy two luxuries that not everyone will be able to replicate. First, I'm just the sort of person who kind of knows what he wants to say; I can't remember ever staring at the blank screen, trying to think of what to write. And I'm lucky enough that I don't spend time on bills, taxes, travel arrangements, kid-activity scheduling, and so on; my sainted wife takes care of all that administrative overhead.
    There, now you know my secrets. Steal this document, with my compliments.

How well does the voice to text software tools work. Does it have a problem with non-US accents? Anybody ever used Dragon NaturallySpeaking?
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
    X