Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a blast from the past....dulcimina, her life in town

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifes...DULCIMINA_.asp

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Nice dig up Gamma. I remember listening to Duliminia as a child. I didn't have much of a choice because back then the radio was one of the main forms of home entertainment. My granny and aunts never missed an episode. Life was so simple back then ~sigh~
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yuh si how dulcimina brown? .....

karate georgie, the one footed martial arts expert was my favourite character!

there was a comic strip in the daily news with a character call "the tuffist"..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Breddrin you are absolutely correct. Everything seemed less complicated back then. Weren't the characters Pressa Foot (the bad bwoy), Brother Emmanuel (the obeahman), and Melva from the series as well?

Comment

big up miss lou...her contribution to jamaica is immeasurable and a something for which we could NEVER repay her.

a very special lady, VERY special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjI2MH6UEI

Comment

Nice gamma. Nearly figget bout Life in Hopeful Village. Today, we really need the "Hopeful Village"
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

I wonder if the tapes of these radio programs were preserved. ie Dulciminia, Flora Lee, etc. I don't know why I have a bad feeling that they were now. We have a poor record with that kind of thing.

I remember hearing Tony Cozier talk about the guy in Barbados who scratched the only tape of Yagga Rowes 302. Why? well because he needed a tape.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Damn - I figget Flora Lee, but remember Portia Faces Life.

It seems the Dulcimina photos were switched in the Observer:

A young Joan Walter during her days as Dulcimina

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yeah i noticed that,

She was and still is a beautiful woman.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Hold on... how old was she when she started on the programme? if she's 58/59 now and the show debuted in the mid-60's then she was just a teenager when she started? assuming she was there from day 1...
                    Peter R

Comment

mi neva did like maths suh stap hat up mi brain!

Comment

Then there was "Prescott" on TV with the farrin Jamaican lady with the worst twang in the world. Dont forget "the FORTUNES of FLORA-LEE" either.

There were the Aussie soaps like "Belinda Barry- the lady with the face of an angel and the HEAT of a Devil!"

Finally who recalls the comic book called National Gas???

Life was not simple back then as we romanticize...Jamaica was under a lot of stress back then and things were changing faster than now.

Comment

national gas was the BEST...i called one of the originaors about 012 years ago and they were trying to launch something but it neve seem to take off...national gas was a riot!!!

Comment

Yeah, we need something like this again.

That was comedic talent at its best.

Comment

Lime Tree Lane?
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X