X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbados PM defends controversial immigration policy

CMC

Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:27 PM

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados - Prime Minister David Thompson has spoken out strongly against Caribbean governments that have commented publicly on his administration’s new immigration policy, saying their reaction was hurting the regional integration process more that the policy itself.

“There seems to be a mad rush now for everybody to say something new. I have announced a domestic immigration policy, that is not a matter for other Caribbean prime ministers to comment on,” Thompson said, referring to a six-month amnesty offered to Caricom nationals living in Barbados illegally to regularise their status or face deportation.

Guyana’s President Bharrat Jagdeo has expressed concern about the treatment meted out to his nationals in Barbados, many of whom claim they have been roughed up by immigration authorities and deported.

St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves is another regional leader to raise concern about Bridgetown’s policy, saying it flies in the face of the spirit of Caricom.

But Thompson said it was a matter that Barbados has a right to pursue.

“It is a sovereign matter which our Parliament and our policy directives base the objectives on,” he said, adding “therefore, to have scenario where everybody is seeking to say something seems to me to be doing more to damage the objectives of Caricom than anything else”.

Despite the Barbados leader’s latest pronouncement, the issue is sure to stir up debate when Thompson sits at the table with his regional counterparts at the Caricom Heads of Government Summit in Guyana from July 2-4.

Last weekend, Opposition Leader Mia Mottley called on the government to “correct the unfortunate reputation that Barbados is rapidly developing” as a result of its new immigration policy.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

The Bajan PM is an ass for his statements.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh soon gwine need Visa fi guh Trelawny if yuh come fram Kingston.. stay deh..

Comment

Hmmm,

seems like we need to pull out of this Caricom rubbish as well.

It nah wuk and we need to admit it and move on. No cohesion and people nuh really want it.

Upside would be that we can charge duty pon di imports and GOJ can earn some revenue to fund education and general development in Jamaica.

Bruk pocket Jamaica cant carry dis thing pon we back much longer. One less talk shop for taxpayers to fund as well.

Comment

An Interesting Day...

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Hmmm,

seems like we need to pull out of this Caricom rubbish as well.

It nah wuk and we need to admit it and move on. No cohesion and people nuh really want it.

Upside would be that we can charge duty pon di imports and GOJ can earn some revenue to fund education and general development in Jamaica.

Bruk pocket Jamaica cant carry dis thing pon we back much longer. One less talk shop for taxpayers to fund as well.
          Why on earth does it seem like I’m agreeing with Willi on everything today? But the truth is that I’m 100-percent (in fact, maybe 110-percent) in agreement with his comments on the Commonwealth, and then now on CARICOM!

As far as that increasingly irrelevant organization CARICOM is concerned, some posters here might recall my consistent views in the past that Jamaica does not need to stay with this organization! One of my favorite posters, Islandman (someone whom I’ve come to respect very, very highly) will probably remember some of my rather crude viewpoints, crude maybe not in words, but probably in the way those ideas were expressed.

And like Mosiah says, Barbados’ Prime Minister David Thompson, one of the new “kids” on the CARICOM block, is “an ass for his statements”!! The supreme irony is that this certified ass replaced the single most outstanding advocate of Caribbean unity of all the regional leaders, Owen Arthur!! This is so ironic that it should be noted in any history of the modern Caribbean!

Jamaica needs to somehow, impossible as it may seem right now, get rid of this stupid PNP versus JLP (and vice versa) attitude and work towards building what I honestly regard is the greatest island in this region! We were there once, and we can get there again, albeit with immense work and sacrifice!

Comment

But Maudib and Lazie nuh want dat. Tribalism forever!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              But Maudib and Lazie nuh want dat. Tribalism forever!
              Yeah .. blame Lazie and Maudib! Since the current gov't has been in office certain elements have all they can to be a hurdle to the gov't. Hypocrites are quick to overlook that.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You should know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jamaica needs to somehow, impossible as it may seem right now, get rid of this stupid PNP versus JLP (and vice versa) attitude and work towards building what I honestly regard is the greatest island in this region! We were there once, and we can get there again, albeit with immense work and sacrifice

TRU DAT!!!
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Huh ?

Get yuh party straightened out.. den wi can talk.

Comment

True! Portia gots to go!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We cannot get there with only one good parent.

PNP need to go to good parent training so that when they eventually get power they dont EFF UP the country.. why you people mek dis ting look like Rocket Science ?

The PNP have bungled atrociously the affairs of the country EVERY TIME they have assumed power starting in 1972.

The graph is clear as day.. the peaks and valleys line up perfectly..

Why the denial ?

If the PNP was as good as responsibly managing the economy of the country as the JLP, Jamaica would be sitting pretty..

It takes cash to care.

Connect the dots.

Comment

Working...
                        X