PNP candidate accused JLP of pork barrel politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNP candidate accused JLP of pork barrel politics

People's National Party candidate Granville Valentine has blasted the ruling Jamaica Labour Party following his defeat in Tuesday's by-election.

Mr. Valentine is expressing bitterness (seems to be the norm) at what he says was the JLP's unfair use of state funds to attract votes in the lead up to the election.

Following the counting of ballots on Tuesday night Mr. Valentine received 3,136 votes to the JLP's Gregory Mair who was declared the winner with 5,892 votes.

Mr. Valentine says he was placed at a disadvantage in the polls due to his late entry as a candidate, a lack of campaign funds, a low voter turnout and the JLP's spending spree to entice extra votes.

Speaking with our news centre on Tuesday night, the PNP candidate poured scorn on the JLP for what he claimed was its improper conduct during the three weeks of campaigning.

"We need to look at the corruption in election as it relates in this instance the state funds that were dumped in North East St. Catherine, the wagga-wagga so to speak. We need to look at what will happen immediately after now. Is it that they are going to stop fixing all these roads and materials are going to stay on the side what is going to happen to these people's lives," he said.

In the meantime, Mr. Valentine says he's not discouraged by his loss and intends to stay on as the PNP caretaker for North East St. Catherine.

"I will continue to stay with the people of North East St. Catherine as long as they want me. There are many persons who wept and asked me to stay on with them, not to leave them but I have no intent to do that I am here for the long haul. I will continue to work with people from North East St. Catherine,"

"I am still the chairman of North East St. Catherine and I intend to work in that capacity. We are looking at the Local Government election sometime next year, we need to immediately go on the ground and see how best we can win that one," Mr. Valentine said.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/18954/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mi notice since he was named the candidate there wasn't any industrial action .... now him lose ... what should we expect?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

PNP silent on second by-election defeat

The opposition People's National Party (PNP) is maintaining a stony silence after the Party's failed bid to wrest the North East St. Catherine seat from the Jamaica Labour Party in Tuesday's by-election.

RJR News understands that a special meeting is to be held with senior officials of the Party to assess the election defeat.

When contacted on Tuesday night PNP Chairman Robert Pickersgill confirmed that the meeting is being arranged.

Mr. Pickersgill said there would be no official comment from the Party until the talks are held.

It is expected that the Party's leadership will be placed under the spotlight in coming days following its second by-election defeat in two months.

The West Portland loss in March and the Tuesday's failed bid for North East St. Catherine resulted from PNP court challenges against sitting JLP Members of Parliament who held dual citizenship.

Two more by-elections are expected in constituencies controlled by JLP MP's who reportedly have dual citizenship.

They are North West Clarendon, which is controlled by Michael Stern and North East St. Ann, which is led by Shahini Robinson.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/18955/26/

Comment

How it nevah wuk fi Azan... ?

LOL !!

I hope dem choke pon dem hypocritical bitterness.. choke and dead..

Comment

Let me see, Mair get 265 more votes than last time. Valentine get more than 1,000 votes LESS than Phyllis got in 2007?

Mi tek man fi fool??

He would have likely lost anyway, but the buss ass was because previous PNP votes shied away from the by-election!!!!!

Ah how dem allow all kinda ignoramus run as candidate. No wonder JA caan prosper.

Comment

A house divided cant stand.

Perhaps the delegates got it wrong last September???

Comment

Have you seen their delegates ?

Comment

Willi;170177]A house divided cant stand.

An appropriate metaphor for Jamaica
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Stand ?.. under the PNP wi on wi belly..

Comment

Dats why we shaky.

Its been a long time since creme rise to the top of Jakan politics. Thus, we get what the duck get.

Comment

typo

should read

Im tek man fi fool??

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                        Dats why we shaky.

Its been a long time since creme rise to the top of Jakan politics. Thus, we get what the duck get.
                        tru dat
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It look like seh yuh nuh rate Bruce Golding...

Mine yuh get what the PNP get for comitting the same error...

Comment

Best of a bad lot. At best competent at governance, but shrewd as a politician.

Comment

Working...
                            X