• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LETTER OF THE DAY - Wounded posturing

LETTER OF THE DAY - Wounded posturing

Published: Tuesday | June 16, 2009

The Editor, Sir:
    I read with deep concern Tyrone Reid's article in The Sunday Gleaner headlined 'Trade transgressions'. May I draw your attention to a number of facts.
    For over 10 years (from 1992) I tried to purchase two 40-ft containers of oranges each week for a major importer of fruit and vegetables in Barbados. I contacted the Jamaica Citrus Growers and could never get access or approval for these oranges. In the meantime, the Bajan importer was importing oranges from Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Florida, California and Chile.

For the last eight to nine years I have been trying to get Jablum to export Blue Mountain Coffee to Barbados where hotels and restaurants were importing and serving processed coffee from Germany. I have been totally ignored.

For the last 10 years I have also been trying on behalf of clients in Barbados who wanted to import two 20-ft containers of Jamaican patties a week. I was told by one manufacturer that they could not because their manufacturing plant did not meet the international standards required.
    These three efforts are among many made by Barbadian business houses to purchase products from Jamaica. They were ignored by most Jamaican manufacturers in the past who had no interest in the rest of the Caribbean. Apparently Jamaica businessmen have just awakened from their slumber since bauxite, bananas and sugar are no longer available.

Let me ask you some questions. Have you seen Barbadian, Trinidadian or Guyanese rum in any supermarket in Jamaica? Have you ever seen Carib or Banks Beer on any supermarket shelf in Jamaica? Have you ever seen the music

of the Eastern Caribbean on sale in Jamaican record shops? I used to supply radio stations and DJs with Bajan music free of cost until the shift from LPs to CDs took place. I had to stop because of the amount of duty that I was then charged although the music still qualified under CARICOM as a Caribbean product.

Global protocols
    You quote Samuda as saying "You go to Barbados and they want to know how long you are staying, and you are not allowed to stay beyond a certain time." Is this unusual? The US, the UK and Jamaica do it.
    I have responded briefly to these comments because it seems to me that the comments by Minister Samuda, among others are symptomatic of the level of ignorance that exists among politicians in the Caribbean about each other.

Former Barbadian Prime Minister Erskine Sandiford proposed several years ago that there should be regular meetings of Caribbean parliamentarians to keep them abreast of various issues related to Caribbean integration. This is a costly exercise, but is a necessity to avoid this high level of political ignorance and wounded posturing.
    I am, etc.,
    ELOMBE
    elombe@cwjamaica.com Gordon Town
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Why the hell we have Caricom passport for, if we gonna get treated like Farriners in the Caribbean?

This is a speciaous argumentation any way. The furore is that Jakan products are being PREVENTED from being exported there. That is quite a differnet case of Jakan exporters not WANTING to export there. You cant force a seller to supply a market, but you can pressure a free trade market to accept goods for sale on an equal footing. The foemer is private business and the latter, Govt trade policies.

Again I say, dem people keep mekking these arguments as if dem tek big man fi fool!

Comment

the facts of what he has stated are probably true but if he has been having this problem for the last 10 years would describe samuda's position as wounded posturing. it however still does not explain the problem they had with trinidad and how quickly that was resolved.

elombe's wife is a former pnp mp and/or senator and maybe that has tinged his outrage.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thats Elombe Mottley right? Bajan married to the former Donna Scott?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

said one.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Still it is a misdirected argument.

Getting Jakans to supply is ONE problem. Getting free markets to remain open is quite another and they are not particularly related.

Comment

whose? mine or his?

Comment

His, of course!

Comment

Working...
                X