Historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian

have you ever hear of the legend of robert johnson, the blues guitarist?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Belated Reply

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
    have you ever hear of the legend of robert johnson, the blues guitarist?
    Gamma, I saw your question about thirty minutes ago after typing and submitting my last tourism comment and then reading the other afternoon posts on this forum. I had to dash off immediately, however, as I was late for a chore. I just got back a couple of minutes ago.

To answer your question, of course I have heard of the rather mysterious blues guitarist Robert Johnson! In fact, during the early 1980s when I was back home and bought “Guitar Player” magazine every month (along with “Bass Player” and “Keyboard Player” magazines, without exception each month), I occasionally came across this blues guitar character from the deep south. His entire life (including that alleged deal with the devil) was discussed in more than one blues section of Guitar Player magazine.

I have never paid a great deal of interest in Robert Johnson, however, as I’ve never been fascinated by Deep South blues guitarists! Their styles, including that of even a modernist like Robert Cray (I have a CD here by the Robert Cray Band entitled, “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark”) and regulars like B.B. King and others, are a bit boring. I will say more, if necessary, tomorrow morning . i will check for a reply tomorrow morning.

Comment

i will admit that i woudl not be considered a blues fan but i have been intrigued by how well blues guitarists have adapted to reggae. eric clapton considers himself a blues guitarist and he was one of the first to play reggae, same thing with sting (almost) he lent a jazz feel to his work but i would love to have your input.

robert johnson's story intrigues me on a different level, the alleged deal with the devil, his posoning and then to listen to some of his work...it has a haunting feel to it.

btw harold and leslie butler played this weekend in JA....heard it was off the chains!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I have about 3 CD by Robert Cray...Ithink he is fantastic. My favorite CD is "Some rainy Morning".

Love me some John Lee Hooker too!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Blues Guitarist

i will admit that i woudl not be considered a blues fan but i have been intrigued by how well blues guitarists have adapted to reggae. eric clapton considers himself a blues guitarist and he was one of the first to play reggae, same thing with sting (almost) he lent a jazz feel to his work but i would love to have your input.

robert johnson's story intrigues me on a different level, the alleged deal with the devil, his posoning and then to listen to some of his work...it has a haunting feel to it.

btw harold and leslie butler played this weekend in JA....heard it was off the chains!
          Sorry to get back to you so late, Gamma.

I was a bit hard on blues players in my previous comment. My problem with most blues players has to do with the limitations of the twelve bar blues, that is, the type played by traditional blues guitarists like Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, etc. This traditional type of blues is rather predictable and repetitive.

In the case of Eric Clapton, he’s a bona fide blues guitarist, and one who has made a huge impact as far as popularizing the blues is concerned. The most recent Bob Marley recording released (released sometime in either 2005 or 2006), “Slogans,” features Clapton on lead guitar throughout. What I like about Clapton’s guitar style is the tastefulness and smoothness of his playing. Just plain beautiful.

The fact is that some of the great rock guitarists have their roots in the blues. We mentioned Clapton, but others like Jimi Hendrix, and Roy Buchanan immediately come to mind. My all-time favorite blues guitarist, without question is the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, closely followed by the late Roy Buchanan.

Believe it or not, the jazz-fusion group of the 1960s and 1970s, “Blood, Sweat and Tears” recorded blues occasionally, and it’s obvious that their lead singer, David Clayton Thomas, was a lover of the blues. Blood, Sweat and Tears is most known for their hits “Spinning Wheel” and “You Made Me So Very Happen,” but they occasionally dabbled in the blues.

Regarding Robert Johnson, I don’t know much about him except that he lived in the early 20 century and he influenced virtually evey early blues guitarist, including those in the 1960s.

Comment

i would categorise the 12 chord blues as the "missisippi delta blues" (howlin wolf, bb king, john lee hooker etc) clapton, cray et al play a different style of blues.

would you consider van morrison as blues?

Comment

Agreed

i would categorise the 12 chord blues as the "missisippi delta blues" (howlin wolf, bb king, john lee hooker etc) clapton, cray et al play a different style of blues.

would you consider van morrison as blues?
              I fully agree with your comment on the twelve-bar blues, Gamma.

Also, I was by no means suggesting that Clapton plays twelve bar blues, because like you correctly stated, he plays a different type of blues. Robert Cray is from what I call the new wave of blues players (or what we can probably regard as the modernists).

I’m not sure about Van Morrison, as I honestly cannot remember his music. The only Morrison I can remember is the crazy one, Jim Morrison (the Doors late lead singer).

Comment

Harold and Leslie

Gamma, I forgot to comment on Leslie and his younger brother Harold Butler. That concert must surely have been something worth attending!

Incidentally, I have never been a Leslie Butler fan, as I always considered him a rather ordinary organist. Some people might not agree with me, but I think Leslie’s claim to fame was his radio program of organ music during the 1970s (on either RJR or JBC at night).

I’ve never seen him in the same class as Harold, by no means!

Comment

someof his songs brown eyed girl, moondance, it's all in the game (rendition)... he is from nothern ireland.

Comment

Working...
                  X