No piped water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No piped water?

Tracey Lee is 37 years old and has never seen piped water in her Williamsfield, St Catherine community, where she has lived since age seven.

While pouring water from a drum in front of her house last week, Lee, a voter in the North East St Catherine constituency, told The Gleaner there was need for change. The drum was one of many set up at homes, along pothole-filled roadways in Williamsfield, to catch water for use by residents.

"I am here since 1979 and I have never seen pipe water in this area. We need this to change. The road condition is also very bad," she told The Gleaner.

In other communities in the constituency, such as Gobay, the generally poor road conditions was the main complaint of residents.

Roads affecting education

The roads are so bad that teachers and students going to the Berry Hill Primary School have to walk over a rickety makeshift bridge with planks of cedar serving as a footpath.

Residents claim that work on a replacement bridge should have started last Monday, but was yet to happen.

Gobay resident Alphanso Brown, while breaking stones he said were to be used in the construction of a retaining wall in the area, cried out for a community centre, football field and other recreational areas to be built in order to engage unemployed youths in positive activities.

Other residents decried the general lack of employment and pleaded for factories to be built so youths who want to work can get jobs.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead3.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

that is why someone who can bring water in will be a hero....simple. it makes no sense talking about that should not be the case...water is life.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mek them gwaan talk. Some man pon the forum never carry water pon them head and then and the Katta drop off the pan start squeese them head.

The never carry water fi a mile and then buck them toe. Them nuh understand the plight, water inna them pipe most of the time.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And that's why it should not be a carrot for votes. Too important for that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well somebody have to give them.
          The PNP promise to do that how long ago saying "water is life" and how them a go get pipe water years ago.

You think many forget? No if a JLP man come up with the water as Gamma say him a hero.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And why dem getting it now when everything is at stake? It never important over the last 2 years?

Your answer will only emphasize my point dat politicians must stop tek people fi eediat! Sick of it now!

Important basics like this must be part of a national plan, regardless of who is in power. Force the politicians to think a little and bring other things to the table like jobs and better schools. Di friggah dem a get it too easy - every election dem a promise people tings dat is dere's! Dem fi go s...rahtid, nuh lunch time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

!sigh!

mosiah whether it is the intention or not, any rep who gets them water is a hero, PERIOD!

they should have had water but they didn't and so if they get ut under tom strokes, tome strokes is the man!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What Mo nuh realise is that the national plan is not to give people water. Giving people water is the EXCEPTION.

The Water Commission still a charge people fi air inna them pipe so part of the mark of a representative is producing for his constituency and it is proven that MOST can't deliver.

Comment

and you are both RIGHT!

Of course if yuh give people water you are a hero, and it's because...yawn...we've been thru this before.

Next topic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the fact is I am not saying your view are wrong but we have been put in this situation where we had a better water supply, a better water development plan 35 years ago, why?

So until ..............

Comment

Working...
                    X