RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big ups to NNN! Now others ago start worry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big ups to NNN! Now others ago start worry!

10-year licence brings joy to Nationwide

Monday, June 15, 2009

Nationwide News Network (NNN) last Friday evening received a 10-year Public Service Sound Commercial Broadcasting Radio Licence, setting off spontaneous staff celebration at the Cliff Hughes-led entity that had faced opposition to the bid.

Hughes... we want to say to our thousands of loyal listeners, thanks for believing in us, and the work has just started.
    The licence was delivered to Hughes at the station's Mannings Hill Road offices shortly before 6:00 pm while NNN's flagship news and current affairs programme, Nationwide@5, was being aired.

"We want to say to our thousands of loyal listeners, thanks for believing in us, and the work has just started," Hughes told the Observer by phone above the celebratory noises in the background. "To the rest of the industry, we wish them well," he added.

Hughes explained that the licence requires Nationwide to provide a range of programming to the Public Broadcasting Corporation of Jamaica, including children's and regional issues, matters of public concern and programmes that are distinctly Jamaican.

The Opposition People's National Party and the Media Association of Jamaica had questioned test broadcasting being done by Nationwide within the FM 90 frequency after the Broadcasting Commission recommended that the station be granted the licence.

But last week, Daryl Vaz, the minister without portfolio with responsibility for information, telecommunications and special projects in the Office of the Prime Minister, defended the Government's decision to allow Nationwide to start test transmissions.

"In consideration of the entity's commitments to its staff, the company's advertising and other contractual obligations and also the expectations of the listening audience, a decision was taken in all the circumstances to allow the testing exercises to be carried out, maintaining the news and current affairs features, which are central to the services offered and which is supported by advertising revenue," Vaz said in a statement.

He said that the information gathered during the test period would be reviewed by the Spectrum Management Authority against set criteria in keeping with customary practices.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

why are others going to worry?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      why are others going to worry?
      I find that NNN breaks alot of news. I recall Fae Ellington saying that RJR simply followed NNN and reported the incident at the airport and a flight from Cuba.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Quick question

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        I find that NNN breaks alot of news. I recall Fae Ellington saying that RJR simply followed NNN and reported the incident at the airport and a flight from Cuba.
        I know virtually nothing about Nationwide News network. Is this media house’s style “tabloid journalism” in the sense of what type of news dissemination it practices (sensationalism, poorly researched and unbalanced news reports, etc.)?

It is a genuine question, as I know nothing about NNN.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          I know virtually nothing about Nationwide News network. Is this media house’s style “tabloid journalism” in the sense of what type of news dissemination it practices (sensationalism, poorly researched and unbalanced news reports, etc.)?

It is a genuine question, as I know nothing about NNN.

Wow! Why would you assume (since you admit knowing nothing about NNN) that they practice "tabloid journalism"?

The answer is NO!!!

Comment

I listen sometimes in the evenings and while sometimes a little bias, it is refreshing to hear the analysts discuss different topics. Not the normal talk show settings. Check it out sometimes at nationwidenewsnetwork.com.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No they are a legitmate news source. Cliff Hughes is a respected journalist in the profession. They do seem to go after the more controversial and dramatic news stories in more detail more than say RJR would (the Olint fiasco is one example) but they are not over the top in thier reporting from what I have heard. Granted I do not listen to them on a daily basis like Lazie sounds like he does.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Mi hear seh Cliff Hughes all win Emmy Award...

Emily Crooks is quality and not bad on the eyes..

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Wow! Why would you assume (since you admit knowing nothing about NNN) that they practice "tabloid journalism"?

The answer is NO!!!
                  Lazie, I can assure you that I was not assuming one way or the other. The communications media is my life, which is the only reason I asked. This is a question I often asked whenever I have to do anything connected with media houses that I know little about. I genuinely know virtually nothing about NNN.

Originally posted by Islandman
                  No they are a legitmate news source. Cliff Hughes is a respected journalist in the profession. They do seem to go after the more controversial and dramatic news stories in more detail more than say RJR would (the Olint fiasco is one example) but they are not over the top in thier reporting from what I have heard. Granted I do not listen to them on a daily basis like Lazie sounds like he does.
                  Thanks for the explanation, Islandman. I’ve never listened to NNN, but I also realize that Lazie listens to this news station a lot.

Comment

sound like yuh have Lazie off as a tabloid journalism junkie...

Everywhere yuh turn makka juk yuh !

LOL !

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      sound like yuh have Lazie off as a tabloid journalism junkie...

Everywhere yuh turn makka juk yuh !

LOL !
                      Not really, Maudib. I know that Lazie takes the news seriously .

But like you say, boss, “Everywhere (I) turn makka juk” me !

Comment

Working...
                      X