• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Payola mashing up the business,' Wayne Marshall

'Payola mashing up the business,' Wayne Marshall

By Steven Jackson
    Friday, June 12, 2009
    Dancehall artiste Wayne Marshall has voiced the opinion that payola (pay for play) spans 80 per cent of the industry and silences talented artistes whilst supporting Chris Blackwell's view that Jamaica's golden era of music is finished.
    "Payola is very prevalent part of the business now," said Marshall who is in the Alliance group of artistes headed by Bounty Killer. "Money is all over the place on the charts, the radio stations ... payola is all over and that contributes to the stagnant nature of the business."
    Payola had the effect of supporting the claim of Blackwell, who founded Island Records and was responsible for marketing reggae icon Bob Marley to the world.
    "A foolish record will get played and pushed if a man has money behind it. So that is the record you will hear everyday, so Chris Blackwell will be thinking, What the hell (happened) to this music, man? The golden age is gone because the new number one record would be off-key in certain parts, the content has nothing significant," he said.
    Interestingly, 54 of the Top 100 Jamaican songs from 1962 are songs made in the 70s. The list was released in April by a panel of musicians and cultural officials led by the University of the West Indies.
    The reggae-centric chart was dismissed by some, as it contained less than five dancehall songs. Others charged it reflected the declining quality of music.
    Payola has long existed in the industry, but there isn't any way to test the prevalence of this clandestine activity. Marhsall estimated that "80 per cent of the industry" operates on it. His evidence is the "stagnant" quality of popular music along with his insider knowledge. He said that songs may get airplay without pay in sections of the media but not others.
    "A great song can get pushed by 60 per cent of the media without any money. Then the other 40 per cent is thinking...that the reason that it was played was due to money," he said at the ongoing 34th Annual Conference of the Caribbean Studies Association in Jamaica. "Payola is so prevalent, they are thinking that (others) are getting paid to play it and say, 'me nah go play it unless me get money', and then a good record suffers."
    Marshall added that the industry is about money, "it's not about talent again".
    He said that good artistes get pushed to the bottom of charts and excluded from prime time radio. "You have a lot of artistes out there that buss dem brain with good content, songs, melodies but never get the light of day because they don't have the juice to even burn 5,000 CDs to put out."
    He added: "But if you do the research you find that this man has a big drugs man behind his career and him pay people and get plenty favours. If you aren't talented it wont last but then if the money can last then (he will)."
    His caveat was that artistes must support media in various ways outside of payola in order to influence play. Instead of pay for play utilise other models.
    "I am not saying artistes should not support media. Because TV and radio play an important role in getting us out there. So if I feel like for all the work the media have done for me, I will give you a Christmas show or a gift, okay."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The More Things Change....

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    Dancehall artiste Wayne Marshall has voiced the opinion that payola (pay for play) spans 80 per cent of the industry and silences talented artistes whilst supporting Chris Blackwell's view that Jamaica's golden era of music is finished.
    "Payola is very prevalent part of the business now," said Marshall who is in the Alliance group of artistes headed by Bounty Killer. "Money is all over the place on the charts, the radio stations ... payola is all over and that contributes to the stagnant nature of the business."
    The nineteenth century Frenchman Alphonse Karr’s famous philosophical statement, “The more things change, the more they remain the same” is certainly applicable to not only every thing Jamaican (or so it seems), but in particular to this decades-old problem of payola.

Take, for example, the following news report which was published in The Daily Gleaner more than a year ago!

'Dunn' with payola! - Broadcasting Commission aims to stop pervasive pay-for-play
    published: Monday | March 3, 2008

Krista Henry, Staff Reporter

Chaka Demus advocates a clean start at some radio stations. - Contributed

The pay-for-play system of operating in broadcast media, especially radio, has been as constant as the music industry itself. Now the Broadcasting Commission is doing its part to crack down on the problem by putting in place new and revised regulations.
    Payola is a criminal offence that has been practised in Jamaica for many years, where airplay is 'bought' by producers, artistes and record companies. According to www.elr.lls.edu, "payola refers to the music industry practice of exchanging money or other valuable consideration for increased exposure or promotion of a particular piece of music".

Radio is a powerful medium through which artistes can expose their music to the public, outside of dances and the actual copies of their CDs. Often airplay makes listeners more interested in an artiste and his or her music.
    However, every day the airwaves are bombarded by songs which are not played based on quality, but because the airtime was bought in cash or kind. At the same time, quality songs are stifled by lack of or minimal airplay.

According to a release sent by the Jamaica Information Service (JIS), the Jamaica Broadcasting Commission is doing its best to eliminate payola. The commission is attempting to implement regulations that would require broadcast media houses to keep and have ready for inspection formal music sheets and music logs and to also have a music or programme coordinator.

Better management, monitoring These measures, according to chairman of the Broadcasting Commission, Dr Hopeton Dunn, will provide for better management and monitoring of what goes on air. "There appears to be insufficient monitoring and management of the music output or the gate-keeping function and so these regulations will help to encourage the sector to increase the monitoring, management and documentation as a measure against this question of payola," Dr Dunn said.

Dr Dunn said that since the offence falls under the umbrella of other sectors, there are some issues relating to the problem that the commission is not capable of addressing by itself. "It is a pervasive problem in the music industry and it is impacting on the broadcasting industry and has done so for a very long time. It is just now that we are determined to join forces with many people in the broadcasting houses, in the music industry and in the public policy arena who want to do something about it," he said.

However, the process of getting regulations in place could take a while to get through the public system.

In a recent story in THE STAR titled 'Another DJ threatened', producer Patrick 'Roache' Samuels allegedly threatened Zip Jock Liquid for not playing his songs. Roache claimed to have done no such thing; however, the issue of payola was highlighted by the incident. In the story, Roache urged disc jocks to stop taking money to play songs. He claimed that there were at least nine producers working on the radio who were pushing their own rhythms and songs and that should stop. Roache claimed that disc jocks should play the songs they receive and allow the public to decide what is good, instead of playing what they feel the public should hear.

Comment

Look who a talk bout payola after APPLIANCE pay di whole a di selector dem not to play Beenie and Kartel. Marshall is just a gimmick artist.

Comment

There's Hope Yet

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        Look who a talk bout payola after APPLIANCE pay di whole a di selector dem not to play Beenie and Kartel. Marshall is just a gimmick artist.
        Of course Wayne Marshall is nothing more than a “gimmick artist” (lol). You’re getting there, boss, and soon you’ll realize that Vybz Kartel is a gimmick artist as well. There is yet hope for you .

The obviously much more talented Beenie Man has made immense contributions to reggae’s and dancehall’s development and growth in popularity, and I hesitate to lump him in the same category as useless people like Marshall, Kartel and Bounty Killer. However, of late, as I’m sure you will admit, Beenie has not exactly been doing anything musically that is worth talking about aside from his apparent on-and-off-and-on tongue-wagging relationship with the admittedly beautiful D’Angel (she is genuine “model material,” and overall looks much more beautiful and sexy than many haters care to admit) and his antics with Barbee and other lovely women.

Comment

Bounty have talent but is lazy.

Beenie Man is a professional and I don't know if even though he is recording often he has become more of a touring artist, racking up shows and making some money.

Leaving shocking vibes may have also mean leaving some of his writers behind.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good try historian. Gimmick artists doesn't last in Jamaica as long as Kartel has.

Mad Anju, Zebra, Predator, Goofy etc are there for everyone to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              Of course Wayne Marshall is nothing more than a “gimmick artist” (lol). You’re getting there, boss, and soon you’ll realize that Vybz Kartel is a gimmick artist as well. There is yet hope for you .

The obviously much more talented Beenie Man has made immense contributions to reggae’s and dancehall’s development and growth in popularity, and I hesitate to lump him in the same category as useless people like Marshall, Kartel and Bounty Killer. However, of late, as I’m sure you will admit, Beenie has not exactly been doing anything musically that is worth talking about aside from his apparent on-and-off-and-on tongue-wagging relationship with the admittedly beautiful D’Angel (she is genuine “model material,” and overall looks much more beautiful and sexy than many haters care to admit) and his antics with Barbee and other lovely women.
              No Historian. You're completely wrong with the Vybz part.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

On another note....

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                No Historian. You're completely wrong with the Vybz part.
                Originally posted by Me
                Good try historian. Gimmick artists doesn't last in Jamaica as long as Kartel has.

Mad Anju, Zebra, Predator, Goofy etc are there for everyone to see
                This is going off the topic, gentlemen, but seriously, how do you feel about D’Angel as a woman, personality, artist and model? (Her beautiful, teasing eyes remind me very much of that 1980s rock-pop star, Cyndi Lauper.)

D’Angel has so much going for her – height, undeniable beauty, stage persona, and charisma. I am never tired of seeing this beauty, and I guess being the playboy (read “pimp”) that Beenie Man is, losing a woman like that is no big deal. Sometimes I feel that living in a small island nation like Jamaica has probably limited people like D’Angel, although this statement of mine doesn’t make much sense when one considers that it is easier to get “lost in the crowd” in a large society like that of the USA.

I’m getting sentimental here (lol). By the way, one of my all-time favorite Beenie Man videos is the video for “Money In My Pocket,” by George Nooks and Beenie Man. Those Jamaican female dancers are so fine!! It’s a pity that the director/producer had to include those (stereotyped) white-merino-clad guys at the end. At least there were no dogs walking the streets in this one .

Comment

historian,

as attractive as Angel may be, her voice is pretty substandard. Some of her tunes are decent and have good story lines.

Comment

It’s a pity that the director/producer had to include those (stereotyped) white-merino-clad guys at the end. At least there were no dogs walking the streets in this one .
                    Dis bredda to rhattid

Comment

For the genre of music she sings what makes a success is a COMPLETE package; I understand Historian's adoration for the woman. She's the very antithesis of a Susan Boyle...so Historian, she break up wid Beenie? ah wonda if she would like a short red man?
                      Peter R

Comment

This is going off the topic, gentlemen, but seriously, how do you feel about D’Angel as a woman, personality, artist and model? (Her beautiful, teasing eyes remind me very much of that 1980s rock-pop star, Cyndi Lauper.)

D’Angel has so much going for her – height, undeniable beauty, stage persona, and charisma. I am never tired of seeing this beauty, and I guess being the playboy (read “pimp”) that Beenie Man is, losing a woman like that is no big deal. Sometimes I feel that living in a small island nation like Jamaica has probably limited people like D’Angel, although this statement of mine doesn’t make much sense when one considers that it is easier to get “lost in the crowd” in a large society like that of the USA.

I’m getting sentimental here (lol). By the way, one of my all-time favorite Beenie Man videos is the video for “Money In My Pocket,” by George Nooks and Beenie Man. Those Jamaican female dancers are so fine!! It’s a pity that the director/producer had to include those (stereotyped) white-merino-clad guys at the end. At least there were no dogs walking the streets in this one .
                        Historian, keeping it real ... D'Angel's claim to fame is who she was married to. I don't rate her as a singer nor a DJ.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

where you get that from

Comment

she is awful if you ask me..

Comment

Working...
                            X