Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Dependence on Remittances

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    So prepare/train enough that there is both healthy (to relieve social pressures and increase remittances i.e. remittances of money & goods and of ideas & creation of new businesses that shall impact policy and the way we go about doing business) migration and healthy (adequate) retention to satisfy our demand for same as we grow.
    Karl, I understand what you’re saying. However, I’m forced to add here that this over-reliance on remittances can be a very risky thing, which is why I tend to get nervous every time I see statistics highlighting the importance of this activity to Jamaica’s economic growth! Look at what happens to this economic activity (sending back remittances) whenever there is a time of prolonged economic crisis in the (so-called) developed world!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Karl, I understand what you’re saying. However, I’m forced to add here that this over-reliance on remittances can be a very risky thing, which is why I tend to get nervous every time I see statistics highlighting the importance of this activity to Jamaica’s economic growth! Look at what happens to this economic activity (sending back remittances) whenever there is a time of prolonged economic crisis in the (so-called) developed world!
      Understand where you are coming from...but we have to face the reality of an increasing population on an island with vast hordes of unemployed and underemployed and the fact of (particularly) 'new emigrants' having greatest ties to the island and thus likely to (proven to) have family ties (families) and other interests (assets) that demand remittances. ...and that the remittances, as fact, are extremely important to the island.

btw -
      Look at what happens to this economic activity (sending back remittances) whenever there is a time of prolonged economic crisis in the (so-called) developed world
      Look at what happens to all economic activity whenever there is a time of prolonged economic crisis in the (so-called) developed world?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X