Boy triumphs in GSAT not knowing his father had been killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy triumphs in GSAT not knowing his father had been killed

A mother's secret - Boy triumphs in GSAT not knowing his father had been killed

Published: Thursday | June 11, 2009

Sheena Gayle, Gleaner Writer

Rema Brown, a grade-six teacher, gets a kiss from her student, Demoy Kerr. - Photo by Noel Thompson
    Western Bureau:

"My father was killed a week before my exams, but I did not know," reflected 11-year-old student Demoy Kerr from Montego Bay, who was placed at Cornwall College following his success in the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT).

Kerr, who attends the Barracks Road Primary School, yesterday remembered how his father's death was, in his best interest, kept a secret from him until after the examinations.

"My father worked in Virginia in the United States of America where he got a promotion," Kerr told The Gleaner on a visit to his school.

"But another employee did not like the fact that he was promoted and so my father and his boss (who promoted him) were shot and killed by this employee, who is now on the run."

The murder occurred on March 21, almost a week before GSAT. It was not until the exams were finished that the news of his father's death was revealed.

"I remembered my mother taking me to church after the exams but I didn't think it was strange for her to do that, but when I got there she took my to the pastor who, in the presence of mother, told me a story and then told me that my father was killed."

Kerr said he was shocked, saddened and speechless on hearing the news, which meant his father would not be able to share in the moment of his son's GSAT success.

It has now been more than two months since the incident occurred, and he says he cries and feels sad at times when he remembers his father.

Support of his family
    Luckily, however, he has had the support of his mother, teachers and friends who offer comfort during those moments.

Kerr said he believes his father would be proud of his achievements and is with him always.
    "I know that, even as the teacher was reading the results, he (father) is with me and is smiling with me for what I did. I told him that I would be going to Cornwall College when I talked to him, long before he died. And to know that I did, I am happy," the proud boy said.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

let me tell unnuh something.....mothers have something in them that allow them to make some very tough decisions in the interest of their children in all kinda circumstances!

repect to the mothers who are mothers not just in name but in deed!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well said - couldn't say it any better!
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

so very sad,and i don't even now what to say,but my youth just keep your head up and be strong
        out of many one people

Comment

This article refers to the shooting death of the youth's dad

Sunday March 22, 2009
          Worker sought in killings at The Homestead resort

Police say man shot supervisors in hotel kitchen while guests ate dinner in dining room
          by <b><span style="color:#333333"><span...an></span></b>

HOT SPRINGS, Va. - Authorities in Virginia were searching Sunday for a resort employee suspected of shooting and killing two of his supervisors in the hotel kitchen while guests ate dinner in a nearby dining room.

Two kitchen workers were shot and killed around 8 p.m. Saturday at The Homestead luxury resort in the Allegheny Mountains near the West Virginia state line, Bath County Sheriff Larry Norfleet said. No one else was injured, and hotel spokeswoman Carol Stratford said no guests were present at the scene of the shooting. She said she didn't think guests heard the shots because a band was playing during dinner.

Suspect Beacher Ferrel Hackney fled the scene after the shootings, and authorities were using tracking dogs, a helicopter and road checkpoints in their hunt, the sheriff's office said.

Hackney was supervised by victims Ronnie Stinnett and Dwight Kerr, and all three worked in a department responsible for washing dishes, picking up trash and cleaning the kitchen. Stinnett and Kerr were shot with a semiautomatic handgun, Norfleet said.

Hackney has been charged with murder in the deaths, said Sheriff H.R. Lightner, of neighboring Highland County, who is part of the search team. Norfleet said he didn't know what might have caused the shooting though officials believe it was a planned act. Norfleet described the suspect as "a loner'' who had worked at the hotel since 2003. "He didn't associate with his co-workers,'' the sheriff said.

Damien Maiquez, a 29-year-old kitchen worker, described the victims as outgoing and friendly. Maiquez, a cook at the resort for 12 years, said he didn't know much about the suspect and wasn't on duty when the killings happened. But he described the kitchen as a large, open area full of workers during the dinner service, making it likely that other employees saw the shooting.

Ex-wife Misty Kerr described Kerr as a "awesome person'' who was originally from Jamaica and had worked at the Homestead since 2000. "He would have done anything for anybody,'' she said from her home in Ronceverte, W.Va.

Hotel Spokeswoman Carol Stratford declined to say whether Hackney had any discipline problems or release further personal information on him or the victims. She wasn't aware of any other violent crimes at the hotel.
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
            A mother's secret - Boy triumphs in GSAT not knowing his father had been killed

Published: Thursday | June 11, 2009

Sheena Gayle, Gleaner Writer

Rema Brown, a grade-six teacher, gets a kiss from her student, Demoy Kerr. - Photo by Noel Thompson
            Western Bureau:

"My father was killed a week before my exams, but I did not know," reflected 11-year-old student Demoy Kerr from Montego Bay, who was placed at Cornwall College following his success in the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT).

Kerr, who attends the Barracks Road Primary School, yesterday remembered how his father's death was, in his best interest, kept a secret from him until after the examinations.

"My father worked in Virginia in the United States of America where he got a promotion," Kerr told The Gleaner on a visit to his school.

"But another employee did not like the fact that he was promoted and so my father and his boss (who promoted him) were shot and killed by this employee, who is now on the run."

The murder occurred on March 21, almost a week before GSAT. It was not until the exams were finished that the news of his father's death was revealed.

"I remembered my mother taking me to church after the exams but I didn't think it was strange for her to do that, but when I got there she took my to the pastor who, in the presence of mother, told me a story and then told me that my father was killed."

Kerr said he was shocked, saddened and speechless on hearing the news, which meant his father would not be able to share in the moment of his son's GSAT success.

It has now been more than two months since the incident occurred, and he says he cries and feels sad at times when he remembers his father.

Support of his family
            Luckily, however, he has had the support of his mother, teachers and friends who offer comfort during those moments.

Kerr said he believes his father would be proud of his achievements and is with him always.
            "I know that, even as the teacher was reading the results, he (father) is with me and is smiling with me for what I did. I told him that I would be going to Cornwall College when I talked to him, long before he died. And to know that I did, I am happy," the proud boy said.
            Quick thinking by his mother. Keep strong my youth.
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

the thinking quick but the fortitude to go through with it and to carry that burden for such an extended period...... RESPECT to her!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So True....

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                let me tell unnuh something.....mothers have something in them that allow them to make some very tough decisions in the interest of their children in all kinda circumstances!

repect to the mothers who are mothers not just in name but in deed!
                Originally posted by MdmeX
                Well said - couldn't say it any better!
                Gamma, both you and MdmeX have hit the nail squarely on the head! Well said, and I love your comments!

In my day-to-day environment, I often get in arguments because of my tendency to always defend women. It’s because of reasons like this why I am proud to do so, as mothers throughout our world, in most cases, play such a pivotal role in our lives! Big-up to all women, and in particular those dedicated mothers who we have everywhere around us!

Comment

This story touches me down to a very deep level as I can relate to it personally. I was a bit more fortunate, but it could have been very similar for me.

Nothing like wonderful parents, hats off to them all and my deepest respect.

Comment

Working...
                  X