• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica masters Telemarketing.. a growth industry

JOLT to tackle lotto schemes

Published: Thursday | May 28, 2009

Andrew Wildes, Gleaner Writer
    Commissioner of Police Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin (right) and Scott Hottfield of Custom Enforcement speak to members of the media during a press conference held yesterday at the Hilton in New Kingston.

Jamaican authorities have joined forces with United States law-enforcement agencies in an effort to crush the multibillion-dollar lottery scam industry now proliferating in sections of the Jamaican landscape with incredibly deleterious effects.

The Jamaican Operations Linked to Telemarketing (JOLT) task force, which has been in the pipeline since January 2008, was finally launched by the heads of the collaborating agencies at the Hilton Kingston hotel in New Kingston yesterday.

The task force, which has already commenced operations in Jamaica, is comprised of the Immigration Custom Enforcement (ICE) division of the United States Homeland Security Department, the United States Embassy in Jamaica and individuals from a number of national authorities, including the Jamaica Constabulary Force, the Customs, Passport and Immigration departments, the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court and the Financial Investigation Division of the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service.

ICE has already sent a special team of agents to Jamaica, experienced in both financial and fraud investigations, which will remain in Jamaica for a year at the expense of ICE. The ICE agents and analysts will be working alongside Jamaican authorities "to facilitate the identification, investigation and prosecution of criminal organisations involved in telemarketing crimes".
    There will also be a major thrust towards the recovery and return of victims' monies.

The task force is already claiming some success.
    "Since its inception a few months ago, JOLT has already conducted 23 arrests and has repatriated more than US$100,000 to victims," said James Heg, charge d'affaires at the United States Embassy in Kingston.
    That, however, is only the tip of the iceberg.
    According to Scott Hatfield, ICE unit chief for the Caribbean and Canada, the number of US citizens being victimised by Jamaican telemarketing scams has so substantially increased that the US had to take action.

5,000 complaints
    The point was further bolstered by Steve Baker, head of the Midwest Region of the US Federal Trade Commission, the main consumer protection agency in the US.

Baker noted that, just last year alone, his department received some 5,000 complaints about Jamaica, an extremely distressing figure in light of the fact that only an estimated eight per cent of victims ever complain.
    Police Commissioner Hardley Lewin, in thanking the US officials, declared his great support for the task force, which he said he hopes will combat what is "a very big problem" in Jamaica.

"What we have embarked upon is a joint operation to tackle a joint problem that affects both citizens of the United States and citizens of Jamaica," Lewin said.
    "We have associated, in the last five years or so, roughly 200 homicides or so connected to the lotto scam when deals go bad, or other activities. Not only that, but we have seen the corrupting influence on our own law-enforcement officers."

Jamaicans are being directed to report to the police any phone call they receive that they suspect might have been from a lottery scam artist.
    "If somebody calls you and says you have won $25,000, tell them to send $24,500 and take their $500 out of it," Lewin also advised.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

I dont understand what is this lotto scam.

Is this like spam emails where they tell you you win and you have to send bank details?

If so, how that catch any sensible person?

Comment

30 Million!!! it seems the once noble chiron formerly sagest of all centaurs was right after all....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Many of the folks are old & frail and appear to be easily deceived by get rich schemes. If dem call 100 people, maybe one or two could be tricked and then the crooks have access to their bank accounts.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

If you have elderly relatives, you may want to get involved and see how they are managing their financial affairs. We should not assume reasonably intelligent elderly folks can not be tricked. Also, many tend to be highly medicated on a whole host of drugs, and that may impair their judgment.

Criminals are targeting retirement homes these days, and dem haffi be on the lookout.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I am sure that is a drop in the bucket compared to what the Nigerians are pulling in. Them have call centers full of people doing this kind of "customer service" work !

The other thing that surprised me recently was a story I heard on NPR about the Somali pirate operation. Is a really organized thing with hundreds of thousands invested in training, capital equipment, etc. Not no patty shop business!
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

well the good book says "what is hidden
              from the wise and prudent is revealed to......"

Boss Ja is in dire need of KNOWLEDGE.

Comment

Elderly US couple fleeced of J$26.7m

Elderly US couple fleeced of J$26.7m

Published: Friday | May 29, 2009

Adrian Frater, News Editor WESTERN BUREAU:
                Faced with the stunning realisation that her ageing parents had been conned out of their US$300,000 (approximately J$26.7 million) life savings by Jamaican lottery-scam artists, a South Florida nurse is now in shock and distress.
                "They really conned my mom," said the nurse, whose 84-year-old father and 73-year-old mother live in the state of Illinois.
                "I found out about it in the second week of March, but it had been going on since the end of December 2008."
                According to the nurse, in just over one year since her parents fell prey to the Jamaican scammers - who used the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]trademark[/COLOR][/COLOR] ruse that they had won a Jamaican lottery and needed to pay a processing fee - the savings they had accumulated have all but disappeared.
                "When I found out, I filed a complaint with the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations) in Illinois and [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Attorney [COLOR=orange ! important]General's [/COLOR][COLOR=orange ! important]Office[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to help me get back the money that was sent through [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Western [COLOR=orange ! important]Union[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and MoneyGram," said the nurse, who has been unsuccessful in her bid to get the money returned.
                Jamaican law enforcement has confirmed the case, but asked that the nurse's identity not be revealed as it is an ongoing investigation.
                Fearful that the scammers will continue to target her parents, she said she has acquired the services of an [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]attorney[/COLOR][/COLOR] and is now seeking to get temporary guardianship of her parents, which would give her control over the remainder of their savings.
                "I live in Florida and it's really been hard for me since I am now alone in this mess and not sure what else to do," the distraught nurse told The Gleaner. "I wish the law, whether here in the United States or [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR], had a way of catching up with these cheats."
                Accounts frozen
                As a result of her intervention through the court, her parents' bank accounts have been frozen, making it temporarily off-limits to the scammers. However, she is worried that the scammers might now try to scare them with threats.
                The dilemma that has befallen the nurse's ageing parents mirrors many similar situations involving other US citizens, who have been fleeced by Jamaican scammers. Last year, Assistant Commissioner of Police Denver Frater told The Gleaner that some of the monies generated were fuelling criminal activities.
                "If you look at the calibre weapons that are recovered by the police, the number of rounds, ammunition being expended and recovered at crime-scene investigations point to the lottery scam," Frater said. "It is clear that billions of dollars are in circulation, coming from this scheme."

Comment

Seriously; no one really didn't know this
                  lotto scam was a threat to US national security? What will be the effects on the already fragile tourist industry? The local businesses should have cried for this to be shut down. The feds shouldn't have to do it. One thing about the states; insurance and other corps. have interest in seeing that there are proper roads, law and order etc. Why? it's in their business interest.

In Ja when it (crisis) happens everyone then reacts. The above could have serious consequences for the island (depending on how much damage is done) In Ja there is a tendency to "big up" short term results. ie;nice car, big house (regardless of how these things are acquired). Hard work isn't the mantra of Ja anymore. Shortcuts are en vogue.

Comment

Jamaica Lottery Scam In Milwaukee.

Greendale Man Loses Thousands To Scammers

POSTED: 8:08 pm CST February 23, 2009
                    UPDATED: 3:56 pm CST February 25, 2009

GREENDALE, Wis. -- A Greendale family is under siege after losing thousands to international scammers, promising big prize money for a small processing fee.
                    Greendale Man, Police Warn Of International Scammers

Police said they busted one player in the scam, but emails and calls to the victim continue non-stop. WISN 12 News is only using the victim’s first name so that he is not a target for others.

There appears to be a hotline from Jamaica to Sam's home. On the other end of the line are ongoing promises of prize money.

Sam said he fell for the scam last month and wired $3,500 in hopes of collecting $1.8 million in prize money. He went to police after the calls for cash continued.

Police followed the wire to a Georgia man named Mark Martin, who used his own identification to pick up the cash. Martin is in custody, a suspect in several such hustles. Police said he told them he was a middleman for a group out of Jamaica.

Despite the Georgia arrest, the calls keep coming. Monday morning, a caller promised a check would arrive at Sam’s home this afternoon.
                    “He said stay where you are, we're either at or reaching the airport now to deliver the check,” Sam said.

But another call announced a problem at customs -- nothing a little more money couldn't resolve.

Sam's daughter said she's repeatedly confronted the callers but they won't stop.

Not even word the news was watching deterred them.
                    “This is legal and legitimate, 100% legitimate,” the caller said, when 12 News Colleen Henry spoke to them.

Sam wants to warn others that these scam artists are persuasive and persistent.

“You could be a victim of theirs, and the reason that I’m coming public with it is to protect others in our state, in case, I know they're in many states and if they haven't got a good foothold in Wisconsin, at least we'll be able to keep some of this activity out of our clean state,” Sam said.
                    Sam believes he will have to change his phone number to make the calls stop. It’s unlikely he will get his money back. Georgia police said unless Martin can lead them to his Jamaican contacts, Sam’s $3,500 is gone for good.

Police warn that no legitimate prize will require you to pay fees up front to collect.
                    Copyright 2009 by WISN.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comment

Jamaica Lottery Scam In Milwaukee, Part 2

GREENDALE, Wis. -- Police in Greendale say they’ve arrested a key player in a Jamaican lottery scam.

Suspect Arrested In Jamaican Scam

Detectives said the group behind the plan has swindled thousands from people across the nation.

A Greendale man said that he lost thousands after getting a call from the crooks.

The group is described as a Jamaican organized crime ring. The man police arrested is being held in the state of Georgia.

Officers said he’s a mule for the group and a middle man in the con to separate elderly Americans from their savings.

The Greendale victim agreed to talk to 12 News about the incident. His name is being protected for security reasons.

“Sam” said that the calls he received from Jamaica promised prize money for a small processing fee.

"They make it sound very legitimate, and they've got documentation to prove it and everything else," Sam said.

He wired the group $3,500 in hopes of collecting $1.8 million. Sam said he went to police after requests for more cash kept coming.

"I have to go where? Go right back to Moneygram so they can receive it? Why do I always have to go to Moneygram?" Sam said.

The lottery scam has made international headlines and according to the Jamaican media, has fueled competitive and violent organized gangs.

Homicides in Jamaica exceeded 1,200 last year alone. Jamaican authorities said that torture and beheadings are rising due to turf wars over the scheme, as well.

The group targets elderly Americans who've proved a fertile market for fraud and their impact is devastating.

A New Jersey woman committed suicide after she learned she'd lost her life savings -- $248,000.

Though Jamaican police identified her scammer, they dropped the charges because the woman couldn't testify.

Greendale's police chief said crossing international borders makes these cases tough to crack.

"The authority the U.S. has in these things, going out to other countries, is very limited. As far as subpoenaing records, getting bank records, and even trying to extradite them back from these other countries," Chief Robert Dams said.

Greendale police located the alleged bagman who collected Sam's cash in North Georgia.

Investigators said he told them that he gets a cut, then sends the rest of the money to Jamaica.

Greendale plans to prosecute him but officials said they doubt they'll ever find the Jamaican masterminds who continue to solicit Sam.

Previous Stories:

Copyright 2009 by WISN.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        I am sure that is a drop in the bucket compared to what the Nigerians are pulling in. Them have call centers full of people doing this kind of "customer service" work !

The other thing that surprised me recently was a story I heard on NPR about the Somali pirate operation. Is a really organized thing with hundreds of thousands invested in training, capital equipment, etc. Not no patty shop business!
                        Around the corner from my house, in a store front, a building marked "Nigerian Community Center". I wonder if a scam is operating from there.

This is not to be confused with the Jamaican church, with the best BBQ cookout in Milwaukee, which is located three miles down the street from my house.

Comment

Working...
                        X