Donald Sangster -- Food For Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Sangster -- Food For Thought

“Hugh Shearer became Prime Minister of Jamaica in 1967 amidst speculation and intrigue:

“When Donald Sangster died there was a great deal of rumour that he was in fact killed. He was rushed off the island in a great deal of secrecy for an operation on his brain. But it was thought he was poisoned. Ken Jones, a member of the Cabinet, also died. It was said that he walked during his sleep and fell off a balcony, breaking his neck. People felt that he was thrown, punched or pushed from the balcony in a fight with the ruthless Clement Tavares. Bustamante personally intervened and made it clear that he did not want Clement Tavares to succeed as Prime Minister.” (Quoted in Clarke, Sebastian: Jah Music; Heinemann Educational Books Ltd., 1980, page 85)

The Ken Jones story is pretty well known. Most people I know from Portland are convinced he was killed.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Re: The Ken Jones story is pretty well known

Originally posted by Exile
      For you youngsters, Shearer became a Statesman and a gentleman in his later years…early-on, he was a rabble-rouser, loudmouthed individual…lucky to be PM….

Actually, Islandman, there is no mystery behind this seemingly-unrelated-to-anything thread I started here. The truth is that I was in an oblique way simply adding some support Exile’s comment above about Hugh Shearer (but had no interest in joining that already overlong thread). In other words, Shearer got the post almost by default and he was indeed “lucky to be PM”.

And I agree that the Ken Jones story is pretty well known, and in other areas aside from Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        The Ken Jones story is pretty well known. Most people I know from Portland are convinced he was killed.
        Ken Jones was definitely MURDERED!! Talk about a loss!! Everytime I go to Happy Grove, I go pay my respect at his gravesite!!

I'm a beneficiary of Daddy Jones and all the Jones clan
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
        X