X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islandman , mi know mi can reason

wid yuh: Too much is in the Shearer thread so
    I start a fresh.

Boss isn't there something wrong if our nation is posting double digits in its GNP but yet 55% of the populace is illiterate and sparodic riaots breaking
    out based on wages and labour disputes? Poor analysis on Chang's part.

One thing that we seem to forget is
    that Ja benefitted from the Cuban revolution immensely (the embargo diverted all of Cuba's tourist dollars here). Please remember that Cuba was thriving in tourism than JA. Please do not say Ja did not benefit from the Cuban revolution, please look at this simple anology: If two stores are on the same block selling the same product and one goes out of business, it's obvious that the other store that is still in operation will gain a good amount of those customers.

Now guess what? the next store is about to reopen with a more highly educated workforce: this means most things they can fix, and do for themselves (hence keeping cost at minimum).

In shearer period the cold war was heating up; the island was mine for bauxite (these facts are must in discussing Ja's figures, to leave them out is foolhardy).

Comment

Well, thats basically what i was trying to explain to Lazie, there were a lot of problems that did not show in the figures.

My older relatives used to tell me about how you unless you were light skinned foget about getting even an entry level bank job in those days. Not that I am not blaming Shearer for any of that, it existed before him.

When I saw this article the other day by John Rapley about Peru, it shows that this kind of situation is not that uncommon:

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...cleisure2.html

This environment is what allowed Michael Manley to capture the imagination of the people in a way that Jamaica has not seen before or since. If only he had not got himself surrounded by the far left extremists, things may have been different.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I have relatives who adored Manley, and some who are labourties for life. I have never heard a kind word from the labourities about Shearer, and most of dem say he was a poor leader who could not manage fi run the country and so had to step aside fi Seaga.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

And how do you correct that ???

How were other countries in the region able to correct his and yet surpass us in the growth numbers since then ?

Relative to the rest of the region what were our non-growth numbers like ?

You make it seem that Jamaica was an anomaly amoung 3rd World/Developing countries at the time when it came to education and other social statistics..

Were they ?

Comment

how many of them were cold war battlefields?

Comment

Ah whofa fault dat ?

Comment

Norman Manleys development work in the 1950s was more of a factor.

Comment

We Had No Ringcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Well, thats basically what i was trying to explain to Lazie, there were a lot of problems that did not show in the figures.

My older relatives used to tell me about how you unless you were light skinned foget about getting even an entry level bank job in those days. Not that I am not blaming Shearer for any of that, it existed before him.

When I saw this article the other day by John Rapley about Peru, it shows that this kind of situation is not that uncommon:

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...cleisure2.html

This environment is what allowed Michael Manley to capture the imagination of the people in a way that Jamaica has not seen before or since. If only he had not got himself surrounded by the far left extremists, things may have been different.
                    Every administration encountered and will encounter problems. The FACT is under Shearer we had double digit growth, something yet to be repeated. People can continue with their mythical stance ... the numbers don't lie.

The numbers also show that under Manley our economy depreciated by 25%.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                      I have relatives who adored Manley, and some who are labourties for life. I have never heard a kind word from the labourities about Shearer, and most of dem say he was a poor leader who could not manage fi run the country and so had to step aside fi Seaga.
                      Most Jamaicans never know good leadership if it hit them in their face. Shearer had our economy growing, Manley wreaked the economy ... yet he is the one that is adored?
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The FACT also is that in the 1820s we had zero unemployment and very low crime. Sugar was king and earning lots of money.

It must have been a great time and place, with great leaders in charge. The numbers don't lie!
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yes boss, I said the same of Joshua
                          too. We are still without certain knowledge: the knowledge to avoid regional powers and still be able to trade with them. It's amazing that with all the facts on this site, most still cannot put the jigzaw together. Ja should be a thriving nation free of crime and poverty but we tend to make the same mistake over and over again.

Ja's anthem says: "give us wisdom lest, we perish"; we need that wisdom
                          and knowledge. Ja's main mistake was to use their social network or brotherhood to get in the drug trade (this in term gave a few wealth and degraded the island). If we had used it to pursue knowledge; our island would be at peace and prosperity. We like short term instead of long term.
                          Norman et al were fooled into the illusion of independence; you guys must research and dig,then the TRUTH will jump out at you. Ja was guided into
                          "independence" for a reason. Ja still thinks if you are a Rhodes Scholar you have all the answers. Did you guys know that Brasil and Chile's economic turnaround came from MIT? Trust me and dig.

It's now up to the young to redirect the island to peace and prosperity.

Comment

Boss it's high time you stop this nonsense;
                            it's getting ridiculous now. Your own party people are telling you that the stats don't tell the real story and you continue with the nonsense.

If one should follow your logic: The island should have remained 55% illiterate and our figures would still be in double digits. Boss there is a time for everything. Cease the nonsense and be objective.

Comment

yeah continue in your sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X