X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Greatest" speaks...

..... and makes my point at the end.
    Seaga points to hotel trouble
    Says small properties facing extinction due to lower rates offered by Spanish chains

Monday, May 25, 2009

NEGRIL, Westmoreland - Former prime minister Edward Seaga says small hotels are faced with extinction if swift action is not taken by the authorities to secure their market in the face of overpowering competition from Spanish hotel chains which can afford to offer low rates.
    Former prime minister Edward Seaga addressing the Negril Chamber of Commerce annual grand gala dinner Saturday night. Seaga said that competition from Spanish hotels, which are able to offer lower rates, will wipe out small hotels if the problem is not dealt with quickly. (Photo: Horace Hines)
    ".They (Spanish hotels) are always running 90 per cent plus and even 100 per cent at times," Seaga told guests attending the Negril Chamber of Commerce annual grand gala dinner in this resort town Saturday night. "When we have a hotel running at that level of occupancy, it means that the price can be lowered."
    According to Seaga, who once owned a hotel in Ocho Rios, the low rates being offered by the Spanish chains allow them to compete with small, struggling hotels.

"We are looking at a problem that is going to be very difficult and a possible wipe-out at sometime in the future," Seaga argued.
    He said that the Spanish hotels own "hundreds of travel agencies that feed into their network and that is why they are always running 90 per cent plus and even 100 per cent at times".

"It is very difficult to compete with the Spanish hotel groups because they have an entirely different marketing structure to all the other marketing structures in the world," said Seaga. "Everyone of these Spanish groups - and I think there are seven of them now - own several hundred travel agencies and they have established hotels throughout several countries in the world. So that a Spanish traveller, when he goes to make preparations for his vacation and he goes into a travel agency, has to book into one of the hotels to which that travel agency is affiliated."

Seaga also argued that financial problems relating to the global economic crisis are not the worst problems with which we are now confronted. He said that it has always been an uphill task for small hotels to realise rates that will make them successful. That problem, he recommended, needs to be tackled "today, along with the other crisis in due course".

"We are misreading the occasion if we believe that the crisis in which we are passing is the worst problem that we have. It is not," said Seaga, who served as prime minister and minister of finance from 1980 to 1989. "That crisis has come and that crisis will go, but after it is gone, the problems that we had before will still be there. So that if we do not use the opportunity in dealing with this crisis and deal with the ones we had before and clean it up, then we are going to miss a glorious opportunity and we will end up back where we were before the crisis."
    - Horace Hines

Sorry Eddie... the glorious opportunity WILL be missed because Jamaicans are more interested in recrimination, playing political games and promoting their favourite party ahead of the national interest.
    It's a national psychosis.

Seaga's sentiment is identical to my post "Jamaica: This crisis is too good to waste"

Eddie has found religion at, of all places.... the "Intellectual Ghetto"
    Last edited by Don1; May 25, 2009, 08:14 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Seaga mek some good points. When yuh book a flight from overseas from one of the internet travel agencies, it is unlikely yuh a go link up with a small independent hotel. Maybe dem haffi go pool dem resources and work on sumtin thru the JTB. Mi stay a one a dem independent hotels a few years ago and it was not easy fi get info, especially if you a come from overseas and yuh nuh know bout dem quality of service etc.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Under Seaga was the best time for small hoteliers. The JTB actually pool small hotels togather and went on promotional tours accross the states. The hotels paid a small price of the cost and government eat some.

This was reversed when the PNP came to power and you could see the results. The government has been more concerned with helping the bigger hotelliers and giving them all the breaks in the book.

What Seaga didn't say is that small hotels can live with the small hotel but they have to be smart and cut cost in anyway possible and have target market.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Under Seaga was the best time for small hoteliers. The JTB actually pool small hotels togather and went on promotional tours accross the states. The hotels paid a small price of the cost and government eat some.

This was reversed when the PNP came to power and you could see the results. The government has been more concerned with helping the bigger hotelliers and giving them all the breaks in the book.

What Seaga didn't say is that small hotels can live with the small hotel but they have to be smart and cut cost in anyway possible and have target market.
        That may be so but I am addressing a much wider point than tourism.... national survival and prosperity.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Well everybody have fi do their little bit fi survive.

It is easier if each industry have a plan and work in their best interest which will in tern be in the national interest. If Tourism succeed then it can drive other industries as well.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

so seaga, having said all that... what is a solution... was any solution offered...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

A man tell yuh seh di road yuh on tek yuh ovah a precipice.. Yuh gwine cuss him because him nuh give yuh directions back to the highway ? suppose him nuh know di way ?

Comment

is any solution ever offered?

Comment

maudib... i am not cussing seaga for his offering... i am merely asking if he or anyone offered a solution...

i would think that if a seaga with his experiencce can take the time to identify and articulate the problem, the least he could do is offer a solution - even if its not the correct one...

i am not saying what seaga has outlined isn't true and warrants concern... i would have much appreciated an effort at outlining a solution or a framework for a solution...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Seaga doesn't seem willing to help Orrett out of a bad situation.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Suppose he has not identified one yet.. Should he remain quiet till can figure one out ?

Comment

Interesting take...

Comment

Working...
                        X