RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Assasin, Comment and I were saying!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Assasin, Comment and I were saying!!

Because of several distractions yesterday, I didn’t get a chance to do the research I wanted to do on CARICOM’s barriers to Jamaican products (in support of the thread I started). I got up this morning with the intention of doing so, and lo and behold, to my immense surprise it turned out to be the topic of today’s Sunday Gleaner editorial.

This editorial, hopefully, will illustrate what posters Comment, Assasin and Historian were saying yesterday.

What the PM must tell Caricom

Published: Sunday | May 24, 2009

In the mid-1980s, Jamaica and Canada nearly came to blows, figuratively that is, over patties, or more specifically, when a patty is, or is not, a patty.

According to the Canadians, a Jamaican patty, a light baked crust with a meat-filled centre, was really a pie. So, Jamaicans in Canada who made a business of baking and selling the iconic Jamaican patty could not call it such, they were told. A pie, perhaps!

The matter was settled in a quietly jovial "summit" between the then Jamaican prime minister, Edward Seaga and his Canadian counterpart, Brian Mulroney, in the margins of a Canada-Caribbean Community (Caricom) summit in Kingston - the same one at which Mr Mulroney unveiled his plan for the CaribCan trade agreement. Nearly a quarter of a century on, shingles abound across Canada of bakeries producing and selling Jamaican patties.

Unlike that 1986 incident, which was treated as a light-hearted side issue that generated a few laughs, the matter confronting Jamaica's current prime minister and Mr Seaga's immediate successor as leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) is deadly serious. And we hope that Prime Minister Bruce Golding will declare it pellucidly so to his Caricom counterparts, especially Trinidad and Tobago's Patrick Manning, when they meet in Port-of-Spain today.

As this newspaper noted in this space and elsewhere in last Friday's edition, Jamaican patty producers have found it difficult both to export their products and, or, establish operations in Trinidad and Tobago. But the problem encountered by the patty is really merely a metaphor for the larger barriers being confronted by Jamaican exports generally in Caricom markets.

Oversight arrangements
    Jamaican meats, for instance, have met resistance in Trinidad and Tobago as well as in the Organisation of East Caribbean States, over spurious concerns about sanitary and phyto-sanitary regulations in Jamaica, which has the best oversight arrangements in the region. Belize uses non-tariff barriers to block the import of Jamaican beer and spirits. At one time, the problem was getting soft drinks and plastic products into Barbados.

Notwithstanding the report of progress on these matters at the recent meeting of Caricom's Council on Trade and Economic Development, we insist that it is relevant for Mr Golding to force Jamaica's concerns at today's caucus of leaders.

The discussions in Port-of-Spain are primarily about identifying a new trade negotiator for the community and reviewing the parameters for negotiating a pact to succeed CaribCan. The leaders will also look at how the region's new trade agreement with the European Union is working.
    But it seems to us that all of that will grow irrelevant if Caricom cannot adhere to the spirit and the law of its internal trading rules, which would make a mockery of its intent to transform into a single market and economy - a project, which makes intellectual and economic sense.

Pertinent facts
    Mr Golding, as we have noted before, must take to Port-of-Spain a few pertinent facts, including the one that last year Jamaica imported more than US$1.68 billion from Caricom and exported a mere US$66 million. Trinidad and Tobago is the biggest beneficiary of Jamaica playing by the rules.

The PM, however, must warn Mr Manning and the others that, in the absence of traction, Kingston is ready to get tough.

The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.

I hope they better understand. I am for free trade in the caribbean but Trinidad and a few others put every roadblock they can to keep Ja product out of the hands of their consumers.

There are a few progressive companies in Ja and they shouldn't have to suffer that faith because of unfair policies. By growing these companies can be more effient, productive and enjoy a better economy of scales.

Mr. Golding take your que from Karl Samuda on this one.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin;166352]By growing these companies can be more effient, productive and enjoy a better economy of scales.
      Are you speaking here of our fish producers?
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

No regardless of how unproductive we are there are a few companies that has risen and have taken advantage of maketplace to grow and they deserve a shot.

Trinidad has been putting up blocks in any which way they can, time to stop.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ignore Don1 This Time

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Are you speaking here of our fish producers?
          Assasin, no need to explain, as Don1 was merely toying with you over your typo, “economy of scales” (without the typo it should have been “economy of scale”) .

That’s just Don1 revealing his humorous side .

Comment

sorry Don, I missed it. Just busy watching these youths and typing and reading too damn fast.

Funny fi real

Comment

I've been in Trinidad 12 years and over that time I've seen resistance to the entry of Jamaican products; it could be called protecting market share by the companies involved...however, the notable companies who were run out of town so to speak were Air Jamaica and Craven A (well not REALLY Jamaican but...). Grace products are on the shelf. The one product that many appreciated and sold well here was Walkerswood Jerk seasonings... are they back on track?
              Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                sorry Don, I missed it. Just busy watching these youths and typing and reading too damn fast.

Funny fi real
                nuh worry yuhself
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                X