• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LETTER OF THE DAY - Go after SLB guarantors

LETTER OF THE DAY - Go after SLB guarantors

Published: Friday | May 22, 2009

The Editor, Sir:

I'm so disheartened having read in The Sunday Gleaner of May 17 the article, 'We are in trouble - SLB owed $760 million' which stated in part, that "the delinquents number 7,127, and are mainly graduates of the University of the West Indies, Mona campus, and the University of Technology (UTech)".

I am astounded that these graduates could be so uncaring in not making any attempts to settle their loans and I have no doubt that some of these delinquents are working. In fact, I know of a situation where a graduate from one of these universities, who is working, was nonchalantly told by a parent not to repay the loan, hoping that the SLB would write it off.

Loan guarantors
    Why am I disheartened? This amount owed could "fund nearly half of the more than 9,610 persons who have so far applied for loans to pursue advanced studies this year", again, according to said article.

These delinquents, probably more than likely, would not have been able to pursue their studies, had it not been for the SLB. So I ask the SLB, what happened to the loan guarantors? Are they not held responsible for delinquents?

I suggest that the SLB continues the process of publishing in the print media, the names, photos, amounts owed and period for which payment is outstanding. Consider using the electronic media and consider publishing online too.

Publishing online
    Some of these delinquents might be overseas, so publishing online may assist the process. In this instance, invite persons to call from overseas, who may recognise a delinquent and know of his/her whereabouts. You may wish to consider a toll free number. Sometimes you have to spend some, to get some.

There should be some system in place, however, that allows employers of delinquents who are working to deduct automatically a specified amount from their salary until the sum is fully repaid, and forward to the SLB. Yes, it needs to be compulsory. SLB should work closely with the attorney general, or the powers that be, to find such a clause, or implement one, for the delinquency rate is a shame.

I am, etc.,
    ANDREA LAWRENCE
    Bridgeport P O St Catherine
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X