Don1 I must agreee with you about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don1 I must agreee with you about

the role the idustrial revolution has in the dismantling of slavery. The sad part is that even at the tertiary level in Ja, it's being taught that it's due to the atrocities of slavery and the kindness of the men in England that got the abolitionist started (please, I read this argument from some UWI prof. in the gleaner).

Every freshman that does history 101 here in the US., understands that it's the industrial age that ended slavery. Why JA's academic circle is pushing the argument about kindness of heart and dislike of atrocities by the abolitionists, is a mystery to me.

Every intelligent person knows that groups and organizations are formed with an agenda. Whether the real intentions or agenda is revealed to the general public is another debate.

Done talk.

Don't do wi suh bad. There are teachers here who teach the truth. Maybe not enuff since ah doubt if Marcus Mosiah is on the curriculum.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A wonder how many freshmen in the states take history 101?

It is interesting that more than half of the population in the states can't identify 5 states on a map.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It's now apparent why some serious changes
        has to be made in our education system. Sad part is that those who say they are working to bring chasnge will send their kids abroad to school.

Ja should look at what India did with their school system. We wil not survive without quality education in this info age; plain and simple.

Comment

that's geography, I'm talking about history.

BTW did you know that it was the Industrial age that wa responsible for the end of slavery?

Comment

I can bet you most American have no idea that info age played any part in the ending of slavery but instead they think it was either George or Jawge Washington, that great president.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What exactly is the truth though? Is the truth that abolitionists had absolutely no role?

Yes the advance of technology was making slavery obsolete, but we should remember that many slaveholders were willing to keep slavery going even if it was a less efficient means of production. This was because having slaves was also a status symbol on those days.

A lot of people, particularly in the US, dedicated thier lives to the fight against slavery. And they were not all white clergymen. As a matter of fact the abolitionist who was most responsible for the start of the US Civil war was a radical named John Brown who was executed for trying to get the slaves in the south to revolt though violent means. He saw clearly that the South would never willingly end slavery, industrial revolution or no industrial revolution.

I don't subscribe to the theory that abolitionists were more a figment of historians imagination than anything else. While some revision of the books is necessary. these people should not be written out of history.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I think most of them would know enough to repeat the simple one-liner

"Lincoln freed the slaves"

without knowing or caring much about all that was involved in that happening. And that includes the African Americans.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  that's geography, I'm talking about history.

BTW did you know that it was the Industrial age that wa responsible for the end of slavery?
                  easy teacha!
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    I can bet you most American have no idea that info age played any part in the ending of slavery but instead they think it was either George or Jawge Washington, that great president.
                    the info age? yuh mek Jawge get to yuh!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Boss, this statement is powerful;
                      "groups and organizations are formed with an agenda. Whether the real intentions or agenda is revealed to the general public is another debate."

Do some research on these abolitionists; their affiliations (charters and societies), families and fundings. There is a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Comment

Maybe I should have said at the
                        tertiary level to make my point more clear: "Every freshman that does history 101 here in the US., "

Comment

OK Jawge, not one abolitonist was doing it simply because it was the right thing to do. They all had a hidden agenda.

Comment

Okay one or two

Comment

And you think that at the teritiary level in the Caribbean they are teaching that the English clergy ended slavery?

What nonsense. They don't even teach that in A Level history. One of the most used books in that course is Capitalism and Slavery by Eric Williams and it does not subscribe to that view.

Unoo must stop making statements about things unoo don't know much about.

Comment

Working...
                              X