'It should've been Bob'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'It should've been Bob'

Cultural stakeholders agree that Marley's image should have been on new $5000 note
    By Steven Jackson
    Friday, May 15, 2009
    Cultural stakeholders say that musical icon, Bob Marley, should have been on the new $5,000 bill and not former prime minister Hugh Shearer, whose impact wanes in comparison to that of the reggae legend.
    Hugh Shearer
    Instead, some see the khaki-coloured note as a political counteraction to the $1,000 bill which bears the image of Michael Manley, former prime minister and PNP politician.
    "I can't understand why someone who has done so much for his country has been side-tracked," Cleveland Brownie, chairman of the Recording Industry Association of Jamaica told Splash in reference to Marley. "If we were to measure the impact of all politicians and other cultural icons, I think that Bob Marley would exceed all the others."
    Brownie regards Marley as a hero for placing "Jamaica on the map as a cultural destination" and for enhancing Jamaica's culture.
    Shearer never had such a global appeal as Marley or even that of humanitarian Mary Seacole, stated Institute of Jamaica executive director Vivian Crawford, who spoke in a personal capacity.
    "Bob Marley or Mary Seacole are the persons who I would want to see on (the note), and with due respect Honourable Hugh Shearer is an outstanding Jamaican but for this, I went international in determining my opinion."
    Bob Marley
    "The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) declared One Love, song of the century and Time magazine called Exodus album of the millennium. I need not say more," stated Crawford about classic Marley releases. Regarding the lesser known Mary Seacole, viewed as Jamaica's Mother Teressa, Crawford said that England will unveil a statue to her memory.
    "I would honestly say as a poet, Bob Marley should have been on the $5,000 bill," said Poetry Society of Jamaica host and director Daniel 'Maa' Brooks. "I think even Seaga over Hugh Shearer."
    Brooks added that Marley had done so much for "us" financially and culturally, that to not deify him in money would be disingenuous.
    Head of Edna Manley School of Drama Eugene Williams went against popular opinion and chose Louise Bennett-Coverly over Marley. He said Shearer could never compare with either. Williams reasoned that during the current crisis Jamaica needs to emulate heroes that focus on education and culture, "and I can't think of a better person than Louise Bennett".
    "If you say Marley, you join the crowd and can't go wrong internationally and locally. He is the most well known cultural hero," said Williams. "But I would choose Louise Bennett-Coverly because of what her work is about. It's about language which is a critical issue with development and education," he said.
    Louise Bennett-Coverly
    Shearer served Jamaica as prime minister from 1967-72. He led Jamaica during its most prosperous period of economic growth since independence - growing at some six per cent a year versus the anaemic one per cent during the last 20 years.
    Yesterday, the Planning Institute of Jamaica told Splash that the new notes would not trigger inflation, "because old notes would be retired". That position was agreed on by financial analyst John Jackson: "It would not affect inflation because you will substitute new notes with old ones. It's not an increase in money supply."
    Asked whether retailers would bump up prices in an attempt to get more for items close to but under $5,000: "I don't see that happening because it could have happened with one thousand bill. Also currently money is so tight that people don't have that option."
    On the upside, Jackson said the new note would save BOJ printing costs: "It is going to cut the cost of BOJ to print notes because it costs the same to print one, but currently they have to print five instead of one."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...BEEN_BOB__.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I wouldn't have a problem if Bob or Ms. Lou was chosen. However, who nuh know that Shearer is our best PM todate better ask somebody. "He led Jamaica during its most prosperous period of economic growth since independence - growing at some six per cent a year versus the anaemic one per cent during the last 20 years."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No, it was Sangster.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I would not like to see Bobs image on any monies .Its irks me as selling his soul or cheapening his image.

No sah !
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Bob woulda cause inflation and a run on the bank

Everybody woulda want the 5000 dollar bill.

Butl it mighta earn us some foriegn exchange as I can see tourist coming off the boat and buying a Bob to take back home with them.

Maybe Barlett need fi talk to BOJ.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"Its irks me as selling his soul or cheapening his image."

Figet bout Bob imageit is now a theme park in Orlando and resort in Bahamas and now that Rita gave access to it watch how many others it is going to appear on.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Unuh leff me and my Shearer

Guh deh Hugh Lawson Shearer!!
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

I feel the same way.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But hold on, the way the Jakan dollar falling like a rock stone dem soon need fi print a $10,000 bill. Put Bob pon the $10,000 bill next year.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    I feel the same way.
                    Does it cheapen Nanny's image? Bob drove a BMW not a handcart

Comment

Yuh mad.

The Govt silly.

With Bob on that Bill, all those global reggae fans would rush to collect some and KEEP them. All that increase in money supply to the GOJ would be without any inflationary impact! Coulda use some of that money as stimulus in this time.

Not too late to create a $2,500 bill or $10K bill with Bob on it!

Comment

Yuhseeeiiiittttt?

Comment

No inflation, as the bill would be out of circulation as a collectors item. Win, win all the way.

Same thing America has done with their souvenir commemorative coins!

Comment

Excellent point! Fans around the world would rush to purchase the Marley bill, and dem not thinking at all.

Looks like dem figet that the Marley coins were a hot seller.

Jamaica issues Bob Marley coins

The coin's face value is 50 Jamaican dollars

The Bank Of Jamaica has issued 1,000 gold and silver coins to celebrate late reggae star Bob Marley.
                            The commemorative coins bearing the star's dreadlocked likeness are being sold for $100 (£55) each.
                            Made by the British Royal Mint, they were intended to mark the 60th anniversary of Marley's birth in 2005 - but have only been issued now.
                            "We've received quite a bit of interest already," said bank spokeswoman Jacqueline Morgan.
                            There was no explanation given for the delay in issuing the coins.
                            It is the second time the Bank of Jamaica has issued coins bearing Marley's likeness in his homeland.
                            "The coins to commemorate his 50th birthday have totally sold out," Morgan said.
                            Marley, who died of cancer in 1981, was one of the most iconic figures in music, and arguably one of the most famous Jamaican in history.
                            He shot to fame in the 1970s with hits such as No Woman No Cry and I Shot The Sheriff.
                            In February it was announced that his home in Jamaica was to be declared a national monument, 25 years after his death.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Hope you not serious.

Shearer was a HORRIBLE Prime Minister. As Mosiah states, the economic growth was for all practial purposes under Sangsters leadership as Bustamante was mostly a figurehead after independence. Shearer merely inherited it after Sangsters death.

Shearers legacy is basically banning any books that had anything to do with the black power movement (it is rumoured that "Black Beauty" was also banned but I have never confirmed this), deporting the great Caribbean intellectual Walter Rodney due to his black nationalist views, and not recognizing the great inequalities, both economic and social, in Jamaican society that had not been addressed in the post independece era. Also he was the biggest dunce we had as PM until Portia came around to challenge him.

Lazie, raw figures do not tell the whole story. There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X