• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov't cautious about Trelawny stadium bids

Gov't cautious about Trelawny stadium bids

Published: Friday | May 8, 2009
    Tyrone Reid, Staff Reporter

Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium - File

A proposal from the University of Technology (UTech) to transform the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium into its western campus is facing stiff competition from the interests of United States-based professional teams from the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball.

Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture, revealed that overseas sporting associations were showing a lot of interest in Jamaica and the Trelawny facility, which was built for Cricket World Cup in 2007.

If the interests being expressed by these sporting associations do not get lost in translation and evolve into something tangible, Grange believes it would prove to be a significant source of foreign exchange for the country.

The prospects are ripe, but the Government is cautious.

"It has to be looked at carefully (because) there are other considerations. There are other proposals from overseas and (other) local interests," she told The Gleaner in an exclusive interview on Wednesday night.

Among other things, Grange said the professional basketball and baseball teams were interested in using the facility for training camps, clinics and special retreats.

Grange explained that a sports medicine doctor, who is closely linked to US-based baseball and basketball teams, visited the island recently and had discussions with the ministry regarding the use of the facility.

Right option or best combination

Faced with the pressure of choosing the right option or best combination of options from the several opportunities on the ministry's table, Grange said the Government would make a decision on the future of the stadium within the next seven months.

"Before year end, we will be able to flesh out a position," she said.

Grange said several meetings, involving the ministry and other stakeholders, have been held regarding the university's pitch. "We have to look at the feasibility and all the technical angles. Suffice it to say, (the proposal) is being actively looked at within the context of an overall policy position and what would be the implications," she explained.

Whichever route is taken, Grange said the way forward would require upgrading the facility's current infrastructure. Currently, there is no facility for basketball there.

"It would have to be extensively modified to accommodate classes or additional facilities would have to be built."

The good news for the university is that its proposal is not incompatible with the ministry's desire to promote sports tourism.

The sports minister also said that aligning the university to the facility does not necessarily mean handing it over to the school.

"It still can be a joint approach (but) it may not be exactly how they want," she said.

Meanwhile, Professor Errol Morrison, president of the UTech, was reluctant to say much until the Government rules on the school's bid.

However, he explained that the university's proposition entails keeping the stadium and developing the property around it into the university's western campus.

Morrison added that the stadium would be a focal point for sports, entertainment and cultural activities.

He argued that UTech's intention was not novel, as many universities in North America have massive stadia on their campuses.

On another note, Grange pointed out that the Government had "drastically reduced" the stadium's maintenance cost.

She said the local cricket association was currently responsible for the upkeep.

tyrone.reid@gleanerjm.com
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Faced with the pressure of choosing the right option or best combination of options from the several opportunities on the ministry's table, Grange said the Government would make a decision on the future of the stadium within the next seven months.
    What a slow gov't and it could take Babsy Grange seven months to make a decision! Dem so slow, it is beyond pathetic!
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I wonder what is the cost of maintaining an idle facility for 7 months?
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well you never know what the propasal are and it seems some are incomplete. If waiting means a better deal so be it.

I get the feelings they don't want to give it to Utech so they holding out for a better deal.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Seven months is way too long, and its shows a terrible lack of efficiency. If the proposals are inadequate, they should be rejected, and a new request for proposals should be advertised by the Gov't.

Comment

yeah but them nuh want loose the bird in hand but at the same time them a try go offa big fish. UTech will be a last resort.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              I wonder what is the cost of maintaining an idle facility for 7 months?
              True... but what's the opportunity cost of making a less than optimal decision before all the facts are available?
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

good question

Comment

I guess this is where transparency would make a difference. Why not tell us the current cost of maintaining the facility instead of saying it is "drastically reduced" ?

Notice how detailed and public the US bank "stress tests" were? People may disagree about the parameters used, but at least the parameters were all made public for everyone to see and analyze.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    I guess this is where transparency would make a difference. Why not tell us the current cost of maintaining the facility instead of saying it is "drastically reduced" ?

Notice how detailed and public the US bank "stress tests" were? People may disagree about the parameters used, but at least the parameters were all made public for everyone to see and analyze.
                    In Jamaica only the so called "bigger heads" are privy to such basic information.... and our weak journalism is complicit in that.
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X