Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tuesday! - Portia launches protest against tax package

Published: Monday | April 27, 2009

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller yesterday announced that the People's National Party (PNP) would be leading an islandwide protest against the Government's $18-billion tax package unveiled last Thursday.
    Simpson Miller urged Jamaicans to wear something black tomorrow, to honk their horns or to keep their headlights on to register their disapproval of what she calls the most burdensome tax package ever.
    "We are not about blocking (the roads)," she said. "Anytime I am going to have a protest, I will let you know, and if you want to send the police and the army for me, send them for me. I come from a bloodline that does not matter or doesn't care at all, as long as it is in the interest of the country."
    Simpson Miller was addressing the PNP's National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Montego Bay, St James.
    Hall meetings coming soon
    The opposition leader also put the Government on notice that the PNP would intensify its protest with a vigil to be announced soon, as well as a series of public town-hall meetings to explain the full impact of the tax package, which takes effect today.
    She also scolded the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) administration for its delay in providing the complete list of items which will now be taxed, having previously been exempt from general consumption tax (GCT).
    On the weekend, reports from the Government indicated that the list of items to be taxed would be released today.
    Making reference to former Prime Minister Edward Seaga's famous speech about the haves and the have-nots, Simpson Miller said the administration of his JLP successor, Bruce Golding, has transformed the country into 'the taxed' and 'the tax-nots'. She insisted the already most burdened Jamaicans would be most significantly affected by the additional $8.75-consumption tax on fuel and the removal of GCT from several items. "If the Government continues like this, the walls of the dam will break because the backs of the working and middle classes can take no more."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Portia Simpson: Anytime I am going to have a protest, I will let you know, and if you want to send the police and the army for me, send them for me.
    Where is Renato Adams when you need him.
    Last edited by Hortical; April 27, 2009, 08:50 AM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post

Published: Monday | April 27, 2009

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller yesterday announced that the People's National Party (PNP) would be leading an islandwide protest against the Government's $18-billion tax package unveiled last Thursday.
      Simpson Miller urged Jamaicans to wear something black tomorrow, to honk their horns or to keep their headlights on to register their disapproval of what she calls the most burdensome tax package ever.
      "We are not about blocking (the roads)," she said. "Anytime I am going to have a protest, I will let you know, and if you want to send the police and the army for me, send them for me. I come from a bloodline that does not matter or doesn't care at all, as long as it is in the interest of the country."
      Simpson Miller was addressing the PNP's National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Montego Bay, St James.
      Hall meetings coming soon
      The opposition leader also put the Government on notice that the PNP would intensify its protest with a vigil to be announced soon, as well as a series of public town-hall meetings to explain the full impact of the tax package, which takes effect today.
      She also scolded the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) administration for its delay in providing the complete list of items which will now be taxed, having previously been exempt from general consumption tax (GCT).
      On the weekend, reports from the Government indicated that the list of items to be taxed would be released today.
      Making reference to former Prime Minister Edward Seaga's famous speech about the haves and the have-nots, Simpson Miller said the administration of his JLP successor, Bruce Golding, has transformed the country into 'the taxed' and 'the tax-nots'. She insisted the already most burdened Jamaicans would be most significantly affected by the additional $8.75-consumption tax on fuel and the removal of GCT from several items. "If the Government continues like this, the walls of the dam will break because the backs of the working and middle classes can take no more."
      Black for the people??
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

So the PNP change them mind now?

Where is all th maturity I hear about?

It come like a two PNP.

Anyway I support protest as long as it peaceful.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The Matalon report was submitted from about 4 years ago. Portia was a member and the leader of a government that was afraid to implement the key recommendations from that report .... so she can talk.

This is how she expect fi solve our problems?

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            So the PNP change them mind now?

Where is all th maturity I hear about?

It come like a two PNP.

Anyway I support protest as long as it peaceful.
            One has to see what they do first.

The danger is whatever the PNP supporters do, even if purely symbolic like wearing black, keeping headlights on etc... rabble rousers can jump on the bandwagon and create mayhem.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

But the words from the former PM is not in the peaceful mode, is it?

It sound like when I heard her in the 1970s
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yes...there is a risk of losing credibility capital.....but portia must know.

remember both parties have a hstory of starting stuff so the pnp people could be there peacefully demonstrating and some jlp supporters start something in the same way you could have some rogue pnp supporters who go too far!

i think, the pnp is using this as a litmus test to see how much support they have out there....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Or for hardships past and in the future (sic).

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

oh, this is the same as bunning tyre. ah see!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what is this about?

Normally with disobedience come the buring of the tire and blocking the road, am I not right?

By the way them apologise to Mckenzie yet?

Comment

you tell me, Sass!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I can only tell you my interpretation.

What is yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            yes...there is a risk of losing credibility capital.....but portia must know.

remember both parties have a hstory of starting stuff so the pnp people could be there peacefully demonstrating and some jlp supporters start something in the same way you could have some rogue pnp supporters who go too far!

i think, the pnp is using this as a litmus test to see how much support they have out there....
                            you're on the money.... politricks at work.

Comment

I need for you to point out where she said she gwine bun tire and pull ole car into di street. Yuh see anytin bout dat?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X