the more i think about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the more i think about it

the more i believe that the opposition must have had significant role in avoiding what could have been a really tene and potentially vilent situation with the whole gas tax thing..... and respect is in order.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
    the more i believe that the opposition must have had significant role in avoiding what could have been a really tene and potentially vilent situation with the whole gas tax thing..... and respect is in order.
    ... and thinking about it, what caused you to come to that conclusion? Is it possible that the address to the nation by the PM may have played a role? Just asking.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yes but in the past that as ever enough....the truth is that if the pnp had pushed, it could have gotten ugly......some say it is a naturing of jamaica ..... perhaps, but it is still on a razor's edge

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Kiddos go to the PNP but a lot of things go into the consideration in my part.

1) Gas was more expensive last year.
        2) The JLP admission months ago that this is going to be the hardest budget they have ever put togather.
        3) The Prime Minister addressing the nation at least twice in the last few weeks and telling them the dire status, (people even expected worst).
        4) The PAYE giveback
        5) Shaw address was surprisingly good
        6) The PNP taking a mature stance.
        7) and most import People realising the status the world economy is in.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Gleaner EDITORIAL - The Budget in a time of cris

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

2) The JLP admission months ago that this is going to be the hardest budget they have ever put togather.
          3) The Prime Minister addressing the nation at least twice in the last few weeks and telling them the dire status, (people even expected worst).
          4) The PAYE giveback
          EDITORIAL - The Budget in a time of crisis

Published: Sunday | April 26, 2009

Hopefully, the observation is not premature. But among the most important developments, so far, from the tax package announced last week by Finance Minister Audley Shaw, is the relative calm with which it was greeted, especially, the sharp hike in the tax on petrol.

In that regard, congratulations are, perhaps, in order to the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) for not displaying the hubris which might otherwise have recreated the circumstance of a decade ago, when it formed the Government and had to retreat from a petrol tax. Then, there were violent protests.

Read More...

...so Gamma is on to something?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

can't imagine giving the pnp credit, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Very Good Post!

4) The PAYE giveback

Actually, you have made a good, well thought out post, Assasin.

Karl, I read that Sunday Observer editorial early this morning, and while the writer of that editorial gives props to the opposition, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the editorial writer is correct in that view. For all we know he/she may be walking the narrow line here on behalf of the newspaper.

After that embarrassing defeat in (what I’ll call) the Daryl Vaz by election, I’m not sure the leadership of the PNP wants to draw a great deal of attention, especially the disruptive kind, at this time.

Comment

You saw my post from last week, no?

I give political kudos to the PNP for being smart on this one. Leading a protest would have been politically disadvantageous to themselves, I am glad they realized that and it seems to indicate that they are getting smarter politically.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  can't imagine giving the pnp credit, huh?
                  Giving credit for what? An assumption by Gamma and Sass? I haven't seen, read, nor heard anything that confirms the opposition suppressed any potential riot. If unuh have evidence ... show mi nuh?
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Not supress...they mean they didnt actively try to jump on it and roll with that idea.

Comment

was that so obscure? damn!!!!

thanks willi...

Comment

Heh, heh...

Yuh tink the PNP stupid.. dem tek dem poll and survey and weigh the pros and cons..

It have nutting tuh do with dem 'maturing'..

"We ALWAYS believe we are best for the country, so ANYTHING..."

Comment

4) The PAYE giveback
                          That's all good but... Jamaicans love excitement. Don't be so naive ... some JLP speech or placation prevented this from happening?

If the PNP wished to create high profile mayhem on a few streets they have more than enough garrisons and idlers to do that without much effort.

As recently as 3 or so years ago we witnessed what the JLP did when Chavez was visiting.. in order to embarrass the sitting government.... incidentally when he took office he cynically reaffirmed the Venezuela policy established by the PNP that they were protesting and is unable to stem the deterioration in the cost and quality of living..

The PNP clearly doesn't see the political advantage to being linked to that type of disruption or... gasp!.... there is a small chance that the leadership might see that Jamaica's interest is paramount.

I prefer the former opinion.
                          Last edited by Don1; April 26, 2009, 03:44 PM.
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                            Actually, you have made a good, well thought out post, Assasin.

Karl, I read that Sunday Observer editorial early this morning, and while the writer of that editorial gives props to the opposition, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the editorial writer is correct in that view. For all we know he/she may be walking the narrow line here on behalf of the newspaper.

After that embarrassing defeat in (what I’ll call) the Daryl Vaz by election, I’m not sure the leadership of the PNP wants to draw a great deal of attention, especially the disruptive kind, at this time.
                            mmmm?
                            You could be right on the state of mind of 'the writer' or 'editorial board'...but I thought it was just about bang-on.

...and I see nothing embarrassing in the defeat of the PNP. This election is afterall is said, shortly into the JLP's new term at the helm. If the JLP had lost that would be discomforting for the 'new rulers'.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              You saw my post from last week, no?

I give political kudos to the PNP for being smart on this one. Leading a protest would have been politically disadvantageous to themselves, I am glad they realized that and it seems to indicate that they are getting smarter politically.
                              Well fi yuh tuh!
                              Good call by both yuh an gamma!

Comment

Working...
                              X