The hijacker's name is a very well known MoBay Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hijacker's name is a very well known MoBay Family

According to the NY Times his name is Steven Fray, That's a well know family in Montego Bay back in the day, I wonder if there is a relation.

Nuff respect to J'can security forces for resolving the situation without even firing a single shot.

This is not the norm in plane hijacking's, specially outside of the US.

Hostage Standoff Ends in Jamaica
    Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press, via Associated Press
    Soldiers stood near the hijacked Canjet 737 on the tarmac at the airport in Montego Bay on Monday.

function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1397966400&en=76b1004d268da85a&ei=5124';}funct ion getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/world/americas/21jamaica.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('Hostage Standoff Ends in Jamaica');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('The Jamaican police said Monday that they had custody of an armed man who had held a Canadian airliner and its crew hostage.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Airlines and Airplanes,Jamaica (NYC)');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('world');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('International / Americas');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('americas');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By IAN AUSTEN');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('April 21, 2009');} writePost();

By IAN AUSTEN
    Published: April 20, 2009
    OTTAWA — The Jamaican police said Monday that they had custody of an armed man who had held a Canadian airliner and its crew hostage in Montego Bay, Jamaica on Monday, ending a 8-hour standoff in which no one was injured.
    The gunman, described as a “mentally challenged youngster” of about 20 years old, had demanded to be taken to Cuba, the scheduled next stop of the flight, Daryl Vaz, the Jamaican information minister said.
    “We were getting nowhere with the negotiations,” Mr. Vaz told The Associated Press. “Police and military went on the plane and captured him.”
    The gunman stormed the parked airliner, CanJet Airlines Flight 918, at 10 p.m. local time Sunday, forcing his way past security checkpoints as the jet waited on the tarmac. Jamaican authorities said 159 passengers and eight crew members were aboard the jet at the time.
    The passengers and two crew members were released quickly, but six crew members were held hostage until 6:40 a.m. Monday, when members of the Jamaica Defense Force Counter Terrorism Operations Group entered the cabin, the government said in a statement.
    The charter flight, operated by Transat Tours, a large package holiday firm based in Montreal, had taken off from Halifax, Nova Scotia and was making a scheduled stop in Jamaica on its way to Cuba.
    Relatives of passengers in Canada said that at least one shot was heard around the time the man — identified by authorities as Stephen Fray of Montego Bay — stormed the airplane, a Boeing 737-800. Several relatives of the gunman were brought to the airport to negotiate with him, authorities said.
    The father of one passenger suggested in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that the man’s motives may have included robbery.
    “Passengers were asked to give out all their money,” Alphonse Gosselin, whose son Christian was on board, told the broadcaster from his home in Tracadie-Sheila, New Brunswick. Mr. Gosselin said that the passengers complied but many hid their passports and credit cards.
    Stephen Harper, the prime minister of Canada, is in Jamaica on an official visit, but there was no indication that there was any link between the hostage incident and his trip.
    Mr. Harper called Prime Minister Bruce Golding of Jamaica after the standoff ended and “congratulated him for the successful resolution,” his spokesman Dimitri Soudas said, news services reported.

any relation to bobby fray?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Good question, I knew Bill, worked with him when I lived

in Miami back in the 80's now is Bobby a former Campion yout ? may have graduated in the early to mid 80's ?

Comment

no..i think bobby fray is either wolmerian or fortis

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bobby Fray went to JC, I believe.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well if is the same yout then my brother know him very well

I am not sure if he is related to the same Fray family in MoBay, If I remember that family was in the furniture business, could be wrong on that part though.

Comment

Who is Steven Fray ?

http://go-jamaica.com/iphoto2/index....stephen-frayae

Comment

Comments (4)
                CYNTHIA says:
                Mon 20 Apr 2009 12:39:32 PM EDT, Mon 20 Apr 2009 12:39:32 PM EDT
                These are the things that happens to children of wealthy people because, they have no parental guidance..........all they seek is money and more money while helpers care for their children's welbeing.......WOW. THIS IS WHY THE WORLD IS THE WAY IT IS TODAY
                Shanik says:
                Mon 20 Apr 2009 02:13:48 PM EDT, Mon 20 Apr 2009 02:13:48 PM EDT
                The Ignorance of the Arrogant..Listen CYNTHIA it has nothing to do with wealth or the lack of guidance, Stephen Fray is an awesome person, warm jovial sensitive and has good heart, Life is rough and sometimes people have problems that lead to situation. People assume that because you have money life is good... but the wealthy among us are just as troubled as the less fortunate. Not all of us are built with the fortitude to handle life's stresses. SO Unless you are in the situation, DO NOT JUDGE.
                Nuff Love Stephen
                Germaine says:
                Mon 20 Apr 2009 02:56:45 PM EDT, Mon 20 Apr 2009 02:56:45 PM EDT
                Shanik, it is ghastly that you seem to be condoning what this dude did. The stresses of life should not be an excuse to break the law, yet alone allow your situation to affect others.

He may be a good guy, but evidently needs professional help.
                Barbara says:
                Mon 20 Apr 2009 03:09:30 PM EDT, Mon 20 Apr 2009 03:09:30 PM EDT
                Barbara Says:

I am not going to condone Stephens action but it is very unfortunate as it is going to have great implication on our Nation.But let us not seek to further destroy the youth but to pray for him and his Family and those that suffered in this ordeal.

Give thanks to the father no life has been lost.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When poor people pickney a shoot up di place, do we become psychiatrists then too?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If anything, I would question his schooling.

Heh heh! Jawge is likkle joke.

What a gwaan, Shatta Cleve?

Westman, yuh chillin'?

Learn or Leave!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is natural to question out of character behavior.

Comment

True!

But all this analysis about "that's what rich people pickney do"...please! I don't see you, Maudib, hijacking anything more dan people post!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What yuh don't know can't hurt you...

Comment

Working...
                          X