RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard Vybes Cartel for the first time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernie Smith, Pluto Shervington, Third World, Morgan Heritage, LKJ, Buju, Barrington Levy, Peter Tosh, Capleton, a certain Bob Marley... want me to continue?
    Peter R

Comment

you not even started yet.

Berres Hammond, Wayne Hammond, Lovindeer, Donovan Germaine, Bob Andy, Bunny Wailer, Junior Reid, Harold Butler, Joseph Hill, InIkimoze, Leroy Sibbles, Steven Marley just to mention a few.

As mi say writing Nursery rhimes a him thing.

Me a joke bigtime.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Junior Reid, Ini Kamoze and Lovindeer. LOL.

Better unu just say you can't appreciate the type of tunes that him do.

Comment

Again Vibez Cartel is far from been one of Jamaica' best lyricist. There are many more who can be called.

INI early days were filled with well written songs. Vibez cartel can't think of penning a song like Lovindeer. Lovindeer can write on any topic, any subject and can write nusery rhimes as well so you couldn't even think of putting Kartel in class with Lovindeer, One Blood by Junior Reid is a very good written song until today anytime Kartel can pen a song like that let me know. Just listen to the words in One Blood and a few other Junor Reid songs.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Those guys are nowhere in Kartel's class. Good try.

Lovindeer LOL

Comment

The fact is Kartel is not in the TOP 30 Jamaican lyricists. Not even close so you can take down that statement.

Comment

LOL FACT. I guess the lyrics association made a list.

Lovindeer LOL

Comment

Ini Kamoze is perhaps one of the best lyricists in the modern era of Jamaican popular music, but it seemed the internationally acclaimed singer appeared match rusty and was also tolerated by the audience.

taken from
                  http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifes...AT__REBEL_.asp

How ironic.

Comment

LOL. Who that, the fact scientist for lyrics.

Ini Kamoze and Lovindeer . LOL

Junior Reid. LOL

This is beyond hilarious.

Comment

A Reggae Star Forged in the Dancehall Furnace

By KELEFA SANNEH
                      One of the season's most entertaining new hip-hop albums has just been released. Although, strictly speaking, it's not really hip-hop at all. Or new. Or an album.
                      It's called "J.M.T.," which stands for "Jamaica Mean Time," and it's a collection of new-ish tracks from Vybz Kartel, a wicked and witty rhymer who has spent the last four years near the top of Jamaica's dancehall reggae heap. He rushes through 20 songs in less than an hour, sometimes rattling off his smutty puns so quickly that the words disappear into a blur of clickety-clack consonants. Keeping up is hard work, especially for any listener not fluent in Jamaican patois. But it's worth it.
                      Even as the American recording industry searches for new ways to make a buck, full-length albums still drive the market. But in the singles-driven world of dancehall reggae, the full-length album is less a product than a byproduct. An album is what happens while you're busy making other recordings.
                      That helps explain how "J.M.T." sneaked into record shops so silently, despite Vybz's reputation. (He has recently appeared on CD's by Missy Elliott and Rihanna.) Reached by phone in Jamaica, where he was — where else? — back in the studio, Vybz said that Greensleeves, his label, hadn't done enough promotion. But he also suggested that it didn't really matter. "In dancehall music, it's not really based on an album per se," he said. "You just need to have a lot of songs — a lot of hits."
                      Few of the songs on this album have more than two verses, since no D.J. would let a song play longer than that. For Vybz, the real money is not in album sales but in live shows, and in dubplates: customized versions of singles, each one personalized with a salute to the D.J. who commissioned it. He often charges $500 to $1,500 for dubplates (though some important D.J.'s get them cheaply or even free), and he might record more than a hundred dubplates of a big hit.
                      His biggest recent hit wasn't even really his. A verse from his song called "Gun Session" (which is on the album) was on an unauthorized remix of the hip-hop song "Soul Survivor." "The remix was a surprise to me," Vybz said. "I heard it in a dance, and it tore the dance up." Soon requests for "Soul Survivor" dubplates came pouring in, making it one of Vybz's most lucrative records ever, even though it may never be officially released. (He says he has recorded about 200 versions.).
                      Vybz's has been making Jamaican hits since 2002, when he established himself as one of dancehall's deftest lyricists. In one popular song, "Tekk," he addressed a woman who had taken his time and money, slyly inviting — or commanding — her to help herself to his body, as well: "Yuh tekk mi things and tekk mi money, too/ So tekk buddy, too." In the verses, he enumerated specific ways she could pay him back; you can't imagine what he charges for a refrigerator.
                      In 2003 he released his impressive debut album, "Up 2 Di Time" (also on Greensleeves; it was updated and reissued the next year). Since then, Vybz has found himself in a tricky position. There has been a resurgence in the more earnest, more old-fashioned sound of roots reggae. For a time, the Jamaican pop charts were full of high-minded love songs and tributes to the Rastafarian faith. The futuristic beats and dirty jokes of Vybz Kartel sounded somewhat out of place next to I-Wayne's antipromiscuity parable "Can't Satisfy Her," or Jah Cure's aching ballad, "Longing For."
                      Needless to say, Vybz professes not to be bothered. "It's conscious music on one side, Vybz Kartel on the next side," he said, proudly. In fact, he's happy to take credit for the revival of Rastafarian reggae. "Ain't no artist in secular dancehall can even compare to Vybz Kartel," he said, starting to sound a bit like that outspoken fellow on the records. "So all these Rasta artists come up."
                      "J.M.T." doesn't quite sound like unconscious music. (Though that description does sound appealing.) But there's nothing rootsy about it. Propelled forward by skeletal electronic beats (known in reggae as riddims), Vybz nimbly holds forth on matters momentous and frivolous, with a decided emphasis on the latter.
                      The CD starts with his hit "U Nuh Have a Phone (Hello Moto)," a frantic elaboration on the simple observation that men without cellular service have a hard time attracting women. "Car Man" makes the same point about automobiles, using a reworked version of the evergreen instrumental "Axel F." ("No vehicle? No romance/ Di taxi driver stand a better chance.") And in the current Jamaican hit "Bad Man Party 2", also known as "Got Funds," part of the fun is hearing Vybz rush to keep pace with the frenetic riddim.
                      The new CD also includes about half a dozen new songs. One of the best is "Vybsy Versa Love," which is built on a sped-up sample of Barrington Levy. It's an unusually sentimental track, and Vybz's lyrics plead for a better world. He rhymes globally: "To Uncle Sam, now/ Pull out di troops from Afghanistan, now." He rhymes locally: "Rude boy, stop war with a youth you know from Grade 1, now/ Stop gwan like you want fi be di man, now." And he finds time to rhyme frivolously, too: "Gal, if you a chickenhead, go inna di coop, now."
                      Yet for anyone intent on keeping up with Vybz, the 20 tracks on "J.M.T." won't be nearly enough. To hear his indispensable recent dubplates and remixes you'll need a mixtape, like "Return of the Crime Minister," a great 44-track CD compiled last year by the Soul Controllers (available from your local street vendor, or from sites like mixunit.com). And if you want to hear his fierce new single, "Gunshot," based on a stark riddim called "Redbull & Guinness," then you'll have to buy the "Redbull & Guinness" compilation CD (Greensleeves), which compiles nearly two dozen new songs based on the same riddim.
                      Maybe "Gunshot" will be included on Vybz's third album. Or maybe it will be appended to the next iteration of this one. In any case, there's something seductive about the knowledge that no Vybz Kartel CD will ever be definitive. Even more than most albums, this one is a happily hopeless attempt to capture something that just won't stay still.

Comment

your best lyricist songs on the album is all rhymes with no more than two verses.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          your best lyricist songs on the album is all rhymes with no more than two verses.
                          What are you saying here or what point are you trying to make?

Comment

Man post commentary from man who not even too understand dancehall. LOL

Lovindeer. LOL

Comment

you nuh have fi know dancehall to know the composition of a song.

Comment

as usual mi start one place and you gone all over.
                                Read my original statements after you done listen wild gilbert.

Comment

Working...
                                X