Arnett's quiet... what should we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnett's quiet... what should we do?

.... time to move into the area with some balanced education initiative/community development... undercutting the dons.

But no doubt Jamaica will just continue the neglect... wait until people start dead like flies... then move in with an anti crime plan.

Pathetic, sick country.

Wounds heal; guns silent in Arnett Gardens

KARYL WALKER, Crime/court co-ordinator walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, March 19, 2009

AFTER years of violence and bloodletting, which saw more than 350 persons being murdered and scores of others shot and injured, residents of the often embattled enclave of Arnett Gardens are now able to move freely throughout their community.

Just last year rival factions supporting two powerful area leaders based in different sections of Arnett Gardens, popularly called 'Concrete Jungle', were still engaged in bloody battles and had residents from various sections of the community living under the gun. Attendance at the four schools located in the community fell significantly and educators traversed the treacherous roads to school in fear for their lives.
    But for more than six months, the wounds of gang warfare have started to heal.

"The people have just decided that enough is enough and everybody is moving freely from one community to the next," Head of the Kingston West Police Division, Superintendent Delroy Hewitt, told the Observer.
    Hewitt's view was endorsed by a female resident of the community, who gave her name as 'Lushus'.
    "Things cool and everything criss. No more war because is mostly innocent people dead and we need to get on with our lives," Lushus said.
    The internal conflict started on Good Friday 2004, when gunmen pounced on Anthony 'Chuncie' Folkes, as he sat on a motorbike overseeing the distribution of Easter buns.
    Police said Folkes was a top aide of Arnett Gardens strongman George Phang, against whom sections of Arnett Gardens rose up in rebellion for political spoils and contracts.

The war raged for almost three more years as gunmen drove fear into the hearts of residents. The ruthless criminals slaughtered women, children and hundreds of men during the conflict which engulfed the Mexico, Top Jungle, Angola, Zimbabwe, Pegasus, Jones Town and Craig Town areas.
    The violence cooled somewhat after Phang, his brother Andrew and his rival Patrick Roberts were collared by Deputy Commissioner Mark Shields on Boxing Day 2005 and locked up at the New Horizon Remand Centre. Shields said the three were suspected of conspiracy to murder and of fuelling the gang violence.

The flood of murders and shootings caused the police many headaches and Hewitt, who is known as a 'lead from the front' divisional commander, was kept busy.
    According to Hewitt, the peace in the community has lifted a burdensome weight off the shoulders of the security forces.
    About six months ago, a team of police officers and soldiers, who were strategically placed at the intersection of Ninth Street and Collie Smith Drive as a buffer between the warring factions, was dismantled.
    "It has made life easier for everybody. People who had to find alternate routes to go about their business can now move through former 'no go zones' without fear," Hewitt said.

However, the tough cop warned that despite the absence of violence the security forces would be maintaining their presence in the area.
    "They had better hold the peace or we will force them to hold it," Hewitt said.

Deputy Superintendent Arthur Brown, the crime officer for the police division, said many of the gang members who were responsible for the crimes were no longer around.
    "Some have migrated, others have fled the area while other have met their demise. This does not mean that there are not still dangerous criminals in the area, but things are much quieter now," Brown said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

We can consult with Omar...

Maybe get some input from UWI...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
      We can consult with Omar...

Maybe get some input from UWI...
      Sounds good!

Start with the UWI graduates in the Cabinet.

Maudib is not in the Cabinet... just in the closet.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Is Jungle always quiet when the JLP is in power?

I remember visiting Jungle in the lead up to the 1980 election as a young youth and the only thing I can remember been told is "if shot start fire hit the ground". I was hurried through, there were nothing but cars blocking the road at every turn and lanes, not to mention the entrance from Lyndurst Road.

After that election I went there a few times well and the place was peaceful with no cars blocking and no ongoing turf wars. Now it seems like the same thing is happening again. I have to wonder if it is a trend.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Call USAID! There was a project on working with innercity ornamental fish farmers...there were about 3 in Arnett...project ended though just when the youths were ready to buss! If you need info...check me.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Call USAID! There was a project on working with innercity ornamental fish farmers...there were about 3 in Arnett...project ended though just when the youths were ready to buss! If you need info...check me.
            USAID can always assist but Jamaica has to come up with the correct solutions.... the people in the area must have an input in designing the solutions for them to be most effective.... imho.

Comment

I know....was just being sarcastic since our friend thinks the solution lies in the US. Seriously though, once we upgrade communities...facilities...clean up and give people a sense of hope and reality and facilitate small business development then the hand-outs from politicos and druggist wouldn't become so important....will it happen...or is it all a part of the big picture?

Comment

I know....was just being sarcastic since our friend thinks the solution lies in the US. Seriously though, once we upgrade communities...facilities...clean up and give people a sense of hope and reality and facilitate small business development then the hand-outs from politicos and druggist wouldn't become so important....will it happen...or is it all a part of the big picture?
                Those are the big questions..... who has the answers?

Comment

Buss? BUSS?!?! No you graduate from a thirdiary institution?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And if the answer is yes, why do you think that happens?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I see you no longer appreciate the vernacular. Yu a hang wit too much tourists?

Comment

can be few thing well.

The fight for spoilt not as big.
                        the fear of invasion taking in consideration that political component of the justice system and police controls.

Whatever it is, they should find it out and make sure it don't get as bad as it was a few years ago.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X