X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcasting Commission regulations hit carnival

TVJ will not broadcast road march live

Tuesday, March 10, 2009
    Television Jamaica (TVJ) will not air the carnival road march live, for the first time in over a decade, whilst rival CVM TV will make its decision this week, amidst fears
    of violating Broadcast Commission directives.
    Osborne. general manager TVJ
    This soca sacrifice will cost the stations a lot of advertising revenue but avoid costly penalties and public criticism.
    "We have considered all the implications to us and the most important priority is that we are in compliance with the rules," Kay Osborne general manager TVJ told the Observer. "All things considered we felt this is the best decision to make."
    CVM TV will by Friday decide whether to air the march live. "We are in serious discussions at the moment about whether we can have a live broadcast of the road march because the Broadcasting Commission has made it clear and we have to be careful about body gyrations," noted Ronnie Sutherland CVM marketing manager. "We might not be able to run it based on the guidelines."
    Traditionally, several hours would be slotted for the march, but this year TVJ will show a one hour edited version on the same day (April 19) at 9 pm.
    The cut in air time will mean less slots for advertising. Already major sponsor Digicel has begun renegotiating its contract with TVJ. It has sponsored the live broadcast of carnival on TVJ for a number of years.
    "Given the situation this year, we are currently in discussions with TVJ to establish what our options are," noted Wayne Miller, head of marketing for Digicel Jamaica. "Clearly however, we would not want to deprive the Jamaican public from enjoying what is a spectacular event."
    Other sponsors such as Wray & Nephew did not respond up to print time.
    Within the annual march, the sights and sounds of 'daggering' are everywhere; in which soca lyrics instruct bikini clad revellers to thrust and pivot under the lubrication of the sun.
    The stations are "not prevented from broadcasting the event", rather it is "an internal policy decision made by TVJ," clarified Nicole Morrision head of public relations at the Broadcasting Commission. But the criteria of compliance has changed.
    Under new guidelines issued last month stations must "halt ... the transmission of any live presentation, audio recording or music video from the soca, hip hop or any other music genre, which promotes, contains references to, or is otherwise suggestive of, 'daggering' or which publicly displays, simulates or instructs about explicit sexual activities or positions..."
    The Commission included soca music in its ban on the prohibition of lewd dancehall songs. The soca ban followed public cries of hypocrisy in ignoring similar activities in other musical forms.
    The carnival march is run by Jamaica Carnival and Bacchanal. Thus far, the Bacchanal group which has been the only visible group and it declined to comment up to print time.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mi think a only daggering them a clamp down pon.

So a nuh only ghetto man them a clamp down pon?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mr Uptown Brown will not stand for this. Expect to see a "compromise" between the parties involved

Comment

Well carnival is nat the problem, dancehall is problematic with its raunchy dancing. People just a have fun at carnival, and it is a great place fi tek children.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Mi think a only daggering them a clamp down pon.

So a nuh only ghetto man them a clamp down pon?
          They were forced into it. There intention was to lock off di ghetto dances but den dem realise they were getting hit with charges of classism so they had to expand the reach. Soca and carnival received collateral damage

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            They were forced into it. There intention was to lock off di ghetto dances but den dem realise they were getting hit with charges of classism so they had to expand the reach. Soca and carnival received collateral damage
            Really? How you get to that conclusion? Where did the BC say anything about dances?
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Really? How you get to that conclusion? Where did the BC say anything about dances?
              Sorry, ban the "airing" of ghetto dances

Comment

Sorry, ban the "airing" of ghetto dances
                See thats the thing about the engish language ... one or two words could change the message completely. Is daggering the only form of ghetto dances? Taking a step to clean up the filth on the airwaves is an attack on the ghetto? Why unuh always give the impression that any and everything that is bad comes from the ghetto?

Comment

See thats the thing about the engish language ... one or two words could change the message completely. Is daggering the only form of ghetto dances? Taking a step to clean up the filth on the airwaves is an attack on the ghetto? Why unuh always give the impression that any and everything that is bad comes from the ghetto?
                  Are you saying that before daggering society didn't have a problem with the dancehall? It's always a problem. If it's not lyrics or dressing or vulgar dancing it's night noise and blah blah blah blah blah. The broadcast commission specifically targeted daggering by name before being charged with classism by the larger public. Only at this time did they switch and broaden their net. Did i give the impression that everything is bad that comes from the ghetto? I thought I was giving the impression that the more educated folks in society seek to demonize dancehall and it's culture

Comment

Are you saying that before daggering society didn't have a problem with the dancehall? It's always a problem. If it's not lyrics or dressing or vulgar dancing it's night noise and blah blah blah blah blah. The broadcast commission specifically targeted daggering by name before being charged with classism by the larger public. Only at this time did they switch and broaden their net. Did i give the impression that everything is bad that comes from the ghetto? I thought I was giving the impression that the more educated folks in society seek to demonize dancehall and it's culture
                    Bricktop, its a ridiculous claim if someone criticizes dancehall, it means they don't like dancehall. If I'm in my bed I want to sleep in peace, not hear the sound a play "Yuh @@@@ deserve a beatn" 4:30 in the morning. Suh nuh bother wid the foolishness bout night noise!

What is wrong with wanting the lyrical content of dancehall music improved? I've been saying it all along now see it deh. Who cyaan hear ... Idiots time and again are always quick to point at soca music when dancehall lyrics are questioned. The other day I heard a song by Fab 5 bout eating Julie mango and I had to shake my head because most if not all dancehall artistes would certainly go over the line. Oh ... and that Fab 5 song is certainly fit for airplay. Beenie Man had a song that sounded like the ad for a repairman "Yuh want a proper fix ...call me!" That was clever, but being the follower he is, he had to follow the others into the filth.

Vulgar dancing? It simple ... daggering needs to go.

Comment

I hope this signals the end of Carnival in Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        As the CIA use to say: Welcome to the law of unintended consequences. I tried to warn the carnival apologists but unuh wouldnt listen. This was never about slackness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Why? If you read the article you'd see that cutting the airing of carnival id going to affect TVJ's revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                            As the CIA use to say: Welcome to the law of unintended consequences. I tried to warn the carnival apologists but unuh wouldnt listen. This was never about slackness.
                            Again I ask ... is soca music slack? How many of them need editing? The problem was never soca music, its the idiots that pointed finger at it instead of dealing with the problem.

Comment

Why? If you read the article you'd see that cutting the airing of carnival id going to affect TVJ's revenue.
                              So yuh willing to allow slackness on the airwaves as long as the price is right?

Comment

Working...
                              X