I saw "Gangs" last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw "Gangs" last night

'Twas a 1-hour documentary (I believe on NTGEO) about gangs in Kingston, Jamaica. The main foucus was actually on Craig Town and the "Craigists" and Don of that area. Inspector Hewitt of the Denham Town police station was interviewed for the story, and they talked about a wanted man who went by the name of "Cheez Trix." Of course, this documentary was filmed sometime in 2006 and hence Cheez Trix has since been killed by the police.

The film directors wanted to interview a Don in order to add some zing/punch to their story. Interestingly, the only person who could come forward to put them in touch with some Shottas was Sarah Manley (of the famous Manley Clan). Manley made the contacts and received the go-ahead to take the camera crew et al into the heart of Craig Town to interview a few Shottas. An interesting interview followed, and the film crew received further Carte Blanche to speak with the Don who wore disguise.

Even though I spent many of my pre-teen years in West Kingston, I still cannot recall where Craig Town is in relation to Jungle, Tivoli, Denham Town, Rema or even Hannah Town. (Anyone knows?). Having last visited those areas around 1975, I just cannot relate to what the place has become. It's also quite interesting that an uptowner like Sarah Manley looks quite at home driving through those areas! Makes me go hhmmnnn!
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Uptowners frequent those places all the while.

Craig Town is near Arnett Gardens, just to the east.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

1975?
      ...yuh wudda laassss henny-weh yuh guh innah JA!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is this the one where the gang is on one street surrounded by 3 other PNP clans and 1 JLP clan and they are feuding with their fellow PNP gangs and can only go out to the outside world via the JLP connecting street?

I thought this was the weirdest and saddest thing imaginable.

Comment

If it's to the east, then I'm mapping it within the borders of Rosseau Rd, Eight St and Lincoln Rd and probably Gem Rd.....if memory serves me correctly!

Scratch the above....if it's to the east of Jungle then I might be a bit lost, though I'm picturing it somewhere behind the old Carib cinema and just east of the ancient Calvary cemetry!
          Last edited by Farmah; March 4, 2009, 05:52 PM.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Yep, haven't trod through those 'hoods since about '75. However, I still think I could find my way through them if safety would permit.

Comment

Same one Willi. One 'hood, one street and certain man cannot cross certain borders within that small confines. Is turf war ah run di cut!

Comment

And many of them are COUSINS. So sad.

Comment

Working...
                X