Rowe vows to break Vaz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowe vows to break Vaz

KENNETH ROWE, the People's National Party's (PNP) candidate for West Portland, has vowed to take the fight to Daryl Vaz in the March 23 by-election in the constituency.

"We are going to pound the concrete, we are going to go to the hills and the valleys, we are going to take the fight to him and there is going to be a surprise," Rowe told journalists at a press conference at the PNP headquarters on Old Hope Road yesterday.
    Rowe, a former Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) member, was selected to represent the PNP in the seat following a historic ruling by the courts which held that Vaz, who was elected in the September 2007 general election, was not qualified to sit in the House of Representatives.

Dual nationality
    Vaz, at the time of being elected, was an American citizen. The Constitution prohibits anyone who pledges allegiance to a foreign power from being elected to the House.

Rowe, meanwhile, holds dual nationality. He possesses a Jamaican and a Canadian passport. However, he is qualified under the Constitution to sit in the House as Canada is a Commonwealth nation.
    "I am a Jamaican. I have qualified under our Constitution to be elected appropriately and to represent the People's National Party," Rowe said.
    Rowe had contested the West Portland seat for the JLP in 2002 and chopped Errol Ennis' 2,153 winning margin which he recorded in 1997 to 281 votes in 2002.

Ennis said Rowe was "an excellent choice".
    "When he came to West Portland, he was virtually unknown and with a bit of luck he would have beaten me," Ennis said.
    As for the Rowe-Vaz matchup, Ennis said, "I expect him to do very well and if he wins, it would not be a surprise."
    Meanwhile, reflecting on the 2002 election, Rowe said he would have won the seat if he had the experience he has now garnered.
    "It was my first election, I was naive and I was out there on my own working that seat. I have learnt some lessons. I learnt the strategies, I have learnt the numbers game and how to do this thing properly and how to do it right.

"I am now nine years older, nine years wiser, and surprisingly I am also nine years stronger. Therefore, with that mix, on the 23rd, you are going to get that lovely surprise," Rowe said.

Philosophical differences
    Rowe contends that leaving the JLP was a result of philosophical differences and said he was PNP to the core, adding that he admired PNP President Portia Simpson Miller.
    The PNP has expressed con-fidence that the party can win the seat despite losing by 944 votes in 2007.
    "There is a lot of enthusiasm. All our soundings indicate that it is a seat that we can win," Julian Robinson, the PNP's deputy general secretary, said.
    Rejecting claims that Vaz is perceived as a hard-working MP, Rowe said that the perception is being fuelled by "public relations and showboating".

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news1.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"Rowe, meanwhile, holds dual nationality. He possesses a Jamaican and a Canadian passport. However, he is qualified under the Constitution to sit in the House as Canada is a Commonwealth nation.
    "I am a Jamaican. I have qualified under our Constitution to be elected appropriately and to represent the People's National Party," Rowe said."

Wait ... not a word from the so called Anti Dual Citizenship Soljahs pon the fact that this man have dual citizenship? Oh .. yeah .... Commonweath nation?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

How did the PNP heirarchy allow this selection????

PR disaster.

Comment

This is Jamaica isnt it? contradictions and hypocracy are lost on our so-called leaders. Besides he is a citizen of Canada s technically he is OK. Did you think this was about technicalities or principle.

Comment

Not at all. He is breaking no law.

However, I still think this is foolishness and should be amended in the constitution. Gone are the days when we all were one big Commonwealth family. That organization serves only one purpose, and that is to host a second level sports festival every 4 years.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is a PR minefield and very impolitic.

Legal or not, do you want dual citizens in YOUR parliament?

Comment

When dem drop visa requirement, then we can talk about Faumbilly!

LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                It is a PR minefield and very impolitic.

Legal or not, do you want dual citizens in YOUR parliament?
                Well, obviously it depends which side dem deh pon!

Comment

yuhseeit...we stay like eediat..wi need Visa fi guh Canada but a citizen of Canada can run fi election yah suh..

Constitutional Vestige needs to be rationalized... unfortunately that requires the ability to think rationally...

Oh well..

Comment

Working...
                  X