Bono and U2's Reggae Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono and U2's Reggae Project

This might be the shot in the arm that reggae needs in order to boost sales. We’ve had precious little Number 1 hits on Billboard’s popular music charts over the decades that reggae has existed. Hopefully, Bono and his group U2 will enable the music to reach an even wider audience.

On the other hand, similar ventures have seemingly vanished into thin air. Hollywood actor Steven Seagall’s reggae venture immediately comes to mind, as does other efforts like Willie Nelson’s foray into reggae, Kenny Chestney’s work with the Wailers, and so on.
    Reggae on the horizon for U2

Published: Tuesday | March 3, 2009

U2 front man Bono. - AP

IRISH SUPERGROUP U2 have reportedly recorded a reggae/dub album that is scheduled to be released in early 2010. The band recorded songs for the set while working on their latest album, No Line On The Horizon.

Britain's News Of The World newspaper reported that U2's chief songwriters (vocalist Bono and guitarist The Edge) came up with the concept and began recording the reggae songs last year.
    "It's just like how Bono and The Edge released the experimental Zooropa album soon after Achtung Baby," read the News story.
    U2 are one of pop music's greatest bands. The quartet have been making hit records since the early 1980s, when they released powerful songs like New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, which dealt with unrest in their country.
    The band broke big with Island Records, the record company that launched Bob Marley internationally during the 1970s. Bono inducted Marley into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

Reggae needs to get back to its foundation by having a Ska night at this so called Air Jamaica Jazz Blues /Ska fest and all these stage shows .

The youths need to know the value of instruments , both playing and listening to them.Until then the computer riddims will rule.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Bono has long been a big fan of Reggae and Bob Marley and he actually volunteered to read Bob's induction into the Pop Music Hall of fame..I had it on tape but have no idea what i did with it...powerful piece.

But I recall some years ago that one of the people who were in the reggae inner-circles, it could be Neville garrick but I cant be certain had hit out against groups such as Police and U2 'stealing' reggae music.

That was years ago maybe 15 or more but it shocked me then as to the lack of vision in that statement even then as the person failed to see the potential that these groups had in taking reggae to a brand new audience and people who bought albums.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        This might be the shot in the arm that reggae needs in order to boost sales. We’ve had precious little Number 1 hits on Billboard’s popular music charts over the decades that reggae has existed. Hopefully, Bono and his group U2 will enable the music to reach an even wider audience.

On the other hand, similar ventures have seemingly vanished into thin air. Hollywood actor Steven Seagall’s reggae venture immediately comes to mind, as does other efforts like Willie Nelson’s foray into reggae, Kenny Chestney’s work with the Wailers, and so on.
        Reggae on the horizon for U2

Published: Tuesday | March 3, 2009

U2 front man Bono. - AP

IRISH SUPERGROUP U2 have reportedly recorded a reggae/dub album that is scheduled to be released in early 2010. The band recorded songs for the set while working on their latest album, No Line On The Horizon.

Britain's News Of The World newspaper reported that U2's chief songwriters (vocalist Bono and guitarist The Edge) came up with the concept and began recording the reggae songs last year.
        "It's just like how Bono and The Edge released the experimental Zooropa album soon after Achtung Baby," read the News story.
        U2 are one of pop music's greatest bands. The quartet have been making hit records since the early 1980s, when they released powerful songs like New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, which dealt with unrest in their country.
        The band broke big with Island Records, the record company that launched Bob Marley internationally during the 1970s. Bono inducted Marley into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.
        This might boost Bono's sales but I fail to see how this apparently one off project has much relevance for boosting authentic reggae.

Perhaps if he had collaborations with reggae artists, tours and promos with them that might have some impact.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Wrong This Time

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          This might boost Bono's sales but I fail to see how this apparently one off project has much relevance for boosting authentic reggae.

Perhaps if he had collaborations with reggae artists, tours and promos with them that might have some impact.
          On the contrary, Don1, I doubt very, very much if this experiment will boost U2’s record sales above what they have already achieved! In fact, I’m going to go on record now to say that it will NOT result in any increased sales whatsoever for this internationally acclaimed Irish group.

The fact is that U2’s audience and record buying public has been much larger than that of any reggae artist, including Bob Marley! (Bob’s “Legend” album achieved the immense success it did after many years of sales.) So, simply put, Bono and U2 do not need any accompanying artist to boost in any way the sales of their products. If, for example, they did pure country music tomorrow, they would NOT need a country artist to put any form of input in.

This “apparently one off project” (to use your words) has all the relevance in the world in boosting reggae’s sales! This is because it will expose a whole new audience to a music form that they had hitherto not paid much attention to, Jamaica’s reggae music. And in case you’re wondering about my suggestion here, the answer is simple: U2 has been bigger than reggae. In fact, always has been much bigger!

There are several examples of music genres that have benefitted from the input of an artist from “somewhere else,” but one example will do at this time. Remember Eric Clapton’s recording of “I Shot the Sheriff”? Well, the role of that single recording in immensely boosting Bob Marley’s record sales might not be something that Jamaica’s music journalists refer to often, but Clapton’s recording actually played a pivotal role in Bob Marley’s worldwide success!

Comment

Can't say you are right either. If Bono has a hit song on it then true. So many recent reggae projects have not really pan out into hit songs. Nowadays you have so many reggae remix that hasn't really done much including Madonna, Britney Spears, Alecia Keys etc. Remember there has been a few projects that has not generate any real interest including Sineod Oconner. The Irish enjoy traditional reggae as people like Jimmy Cliff and Burning Spear draw huge crowd.

hope the project go well but there is no gurantee it will generate the interest that we want.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              On the contrary, Don1, I doubt very, very much if this experiment will boost U2’s record sales above what they have already achieved! In fact, I’m going to go on record now to say that it will NOT result in any increased sales whatsoever for this internationally acclaimed Irish group.

The fact is that U2’s audience and record buying public has been much larger than that of any reggae artist, including Bob Marley! (Bob’s “Legend” album achieved the immense success it did after many years of sales.) So, simply put, Bono and U2 do not need any accompanying artist to boost in any way the sales of their products. If, for example, they did pure country music tomorrow, they would NOT need a country artist to put any form of input in.

This “apparently one off project” (to use your words) has all the relevance in the world in boosting reggae’s sales! This is because it will expose a whole new audience to a music form that they had hitherto not paid much attention to, Jamaica’s reggae music. And in case you’re wondering about my suggestion here, the answer is simple: U2 has been bigger than reggae. In fact, always has been much bigger!

There are several examples of music genres that have benefitted from the input of an artist from “somewhere else,” but one example will do at this time. Remember Eric Clapton’s recording of “I Shot the Sheriff”? Well, the role of that single recording in immensely boosting Bob Marley’s record sales might not be something that Jamaica’s music journalists refer to often, but Clapton’s recording actually played a pivotal role in Bob Marley’s worldwide success!
              I don't believe that U2 would be recording reggae as a social project or favor to the genre.... they want to sell records and/or open new artistic horizons for themselves.

Time will tell, but I personally don't believe this is of much significance for the music in terms of any lasting impact. We've seen these forays before by so called stars... much ado about nothing... for us.

U2 sells more records than Bob but their impact on people and society worldwide is a fraction of Bob's.

Bob is not a star in the traditional U2/Bono mega record sales sense... he's much bigger than that.... transcending music to the point of being iconic. Just as Ali transcends boxing.... but others have made much more money than he did.

You are dead wrong. U2 is not bigger than reggae... they are not even bigger than Bob... music is not just about record sales... it's about profound and lasting (positive) cultural influence.
              Even when it comes to record sales.. no one has any idea of what Bob's impact was or could have been... he's probably the most pirated artist in history.

Long after Bono is dust Bob Marley will be alive and well in every corner of the earth.

Dem a guh tiyad fi..
              Last edited by Don1; March 3, 2009, 08:58 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

You don't think Bono has that influence? Been UN ambassador and all?

Not to belittle Bobs influence but Bono have a lot of followers and his charity work has made him real influencial even though his music might not have the message as Bob. Many people look up to Bono(Not necessarily U2).
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

Not to belittle Bobs influence but Bono have a lot of followers and his charity work has made him real influencial even though his music might not have the message as Bob. Many people look up to Bono(Not necessarily U2).
                  Not saying Bono has no influence.. he does. His influence outside music comes from politics and politicians... that will surely fade.

Bob's impact rises from the grass roots.. it's a people's movement... which won't be stopped by him not being named to a political post or talking to world leaders about policy... (respect to him though).

Go to any continent and you will see Bob's image on T shirts, in hairstyle, movies, religion, electronic media etc..... truly global.

For example the Maori of New Zealand and the Hopi tribe of SW USA... among other native people... regard him as a prophet and a demi-god.

Bono vs Bob? That's chalk and cheese.... not fair to Bono.

Comment

Bono's influence is difference than that of Bob. Bono have gotten a lot of middle class people to donate to causes around the world and he is also influencial in the eyes of his fellow artists.

That also transend into selling records and airplay. I had no idea U2 was so big until when I was a student in college and seeing the young white girls screaming for them and wanting to go to their concerts.

Comment

If you dont know anything about U2 or dont care for their music just say so but dont spout arrant nonsense like you posted above, it really diminishes you.

U2 is not about record sales any fool knows that...just go to UTube or anywhere you want info and learn some thing.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Don1 rep gone long time, ask Ben J if you think a lie

Comment

Bob is huge!

Example: The influence Bob has had on the consciousness of man...love to and for each other...the attitude of never giving up...

The influence Bob has had and is still having on African leaders and African people is immense! ...and the wider world has 'sat up and taken notice' of his sayings and his role in...influence on...comments about...world matters such the suppression in Africa...and on peace...etc...

...that endures.

His popularity world-wide has firmly placed him in ' one of the world's most well known and most easily recognised persons'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            Bob is huge!

Example: The influence Bob has had on the consciousness of man...love to and for each other...the attitude of never giving up...

The influence Bob has had and is still having on African leaders and African people is immense! ...and the wider world has 'sat up and taken notice' of his sayings and his role in...influence on...comments about...world matters such the suppression in Africa...and on peace...etc...

...that endures.

His popularity world-wide has firmly placed him in ' one of the world's most well known and most easily recognised persons'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley
                            It seems many Jamaicans don't know Bob's impact... they just see him as a great musician.

A prophet is usually not recognized in his own land I guess.

Comment

Don1 rep gone long time, ask Ben J if you think a lie
                              If you and Sickko are lining up yourselves with the JFLAGist in opposition to me... I definitely know I'm on the right track.

Comment

Working...
                              X