Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sass, historian, lazie...check out patrice bart-williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuz3...eature=related

check out ayo too if you get a chance incidentally they are husband and wife

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Not a Favourite

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuz3...eature=related

check out ayo too if you get a chance incidentally they are husband and wife
    Gamma, I just saw your post. In fact, I’m listening to Patrice’s “Jah Jah Deh Deh” and “Babylon Is Against Me” on YouTube as I type this reply.

I don’t know what to say about this dude Patrice, as there’s absolutely nothing that sets him apart from any other roots (or roots reggae) singer, in my opinion. He sounds to me like just another regular foreigner who has been influenced by Jamaica’s Rastafarian culture. Certainly he’s not in the same league as, for example, Morgan Heritage’s Peter Morgan or Gramps, or any other number of other Jamaican roots singers.

Likewise, in my opinion he’s certainly not in the same class as foreigners like South Africa’s Lucky Dube or the USA’s Matishyahu.

Patrice’s whining can be downright annoying at times.

Comment

sorry I never saw this but it is good lyrics and the harmony is ok but the lead seems a bit nasal.

I haven't heard of him before. Sorry Gamma but I don't have access to youtube at work so I didn't take a look before now.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i think you are right about the vocals....the lyrics and the music are good and like them.

a larger point for me is the interest shown by foreigners in leaning patois.

i am seeing more and more f"oreigners" playing conscious reggae or roots music and less and less jamaicans i wonder why that is?.

btw you pobably didn't like ayo either huh? i actually like her music...sounds lauryn hillish..and good/.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Interesting Points

a larger point for me is the interest shown by foreigners in leaning patois.

i am seeing more and more f"oreigners" playing conscious reggae or roots music and less and less jamaicans i wonder why that is?
          Gamma, you’ve actually raised two discussion questions here:

1. Is there actually an interest being shown by foreigners in learning patois?

2. While there is no question that “less and less” Jamaicans are playing conscious reggae music, are “more and more foreigners” actually playing it today when compared with the 1970s and 1980s?

These are genuine questions I’m asking, questions for which I do not have any definite answers.

Comment

Not Really

btw you pobably didn't like ayo either huh? i actually like her music...sounds lauryn hillish..and good/.
            I watched “Down On My Knees” by Ayo on YouTube, and I was not sure what to say, so I elected to say nothing in my first reply post. She has given me no reason to want to listen to her voice (nice, but unremarkable) or that rather simplistic song a second time. Certainly I find no reason to want to purchase her CD.

By the way, Gamma, I truly hope that neither Patrice nor Ayo is a relative of yours!! I’m sure you would be highly offended at my rather caustic comments if any of these two singers was a relative.

Comment

den di trut' nuh di trut'?!! no they are not relatives!

Comment

When I lived in Mobay a bredda use to tell me how good him was. He use to spend night and day and spend him money on studio time. I said if you are that good gimme a record and I can line up a brethren and see if he likes it.

When I got the record it was the biggest embarrassment in my life, I had to tell the man him how poor he was, I tried to hide for a while but then I had to be diplomatic and tell him.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  When I lived in Mobay a bredda use to tell me how good him was. He use to spend night and day and spend him money on studio time. I said if you are that good gimme a record and I can line up a brethren and see if he likes it.

When I got the record it was the biggest embarrassment in my life, I had to tell the man him how poor he was, I tried to hide for a while but then I had to be diplomatic and tell him.
                  LOL, that is darn funny! Was it worse than “What a Bam Bam” by Kojak and Mumma Liza? That has to be among the most embarrassing product to ever escape out of a Jamaican studio!! Why any producer would want to associate his name with such an off-key product is beyond me!

Comment

iron balloon em call it...cya'an buss!!

Comment

unnu want hear the opening note pon the tune

Trust me Kojak and Lisa "bam bam" deh pon Key to dat one.

Comment

Working...
                      X