• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain crash Victims are Papa Michigan relatives

Michigan remains positive - Loss of family members will not derail career
    Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter
    Papa Michigan - File
    He lost four of his family members in a plane crash, but that will not prevent Papa Michigan from releasing his third solo album.
    Papa Michigan, whose real name is Anthony Fairclough, lost members of his family in a tragic plane crash in Buffalo, New York, last week. Forty-nine people aboard a Continental flight and one person on the ground lost their lives after the plane crashed into a house and burst into flames.
    Among the victims were Jamaicans Danny Massop (42), Dawn Massop (43), their 13-year-old son, Shawn, and Dawn's sister, Ferris Reid, all relatives of Michigan.
    He said it has been hard to cope with the tragic loss, but it will be used as a form of motivation in his music.
    "Mi need something fi help tek mi mind off certain things. Music is therapy. It (the tragedy) can only enhance it (music) 'cause we have to use everything in a positive way. We cannot look on anything as being negative," Michigan told THE STAR.
    This has also fuelled his interest in doing a song as a tribute to them.
    "You know, it came to mind and it's highly possible. I was feeling a vibe (on Sunday) but I didn't really pencil anything," said the singer who is part of the duo Michigan and Smiley, with Erroll 'General Smiley' Bennett.
    Reschedule
    Although he was pushing to release his solo album in March, it is no longer possible.
    "The Father knows best. I thought it would have been out March, but obviously it won't, due to the circumstances. So I guess I will have to reschedule a next date in a few months," he told THE STAR.
    Over the years, during his 30-year musical partnership with Smiley, they have turned out several albums. Among them are Rub-A-Dub Style, Downpression, Step by Step, Reality Must Roll Again, Back In The Biz and Uptown/Downtown.
    Now, he is doing another solo album, having done two others, Michigan and It's All Good. This newest one, he believes, has a lot to offer.
    Different genres of music
    Although it has not been named, the album was produced on his label Rashanco Music. For this project, he will be using the name Baddingo, but the name is not the only difference the album offers.
    "There is love, a touch of rap and many different genres of music. Music is universal, so we have to keep it universal," he said.
    The two years he took to complete the material will only make the project better. "You wanna have different sounds and elements and if you push it, people are gonna realise that you are writing one way, so you have to give it a break," said Michigan, about his album which will have songs like Barack Obama and Independent Ladies, which features Dineiro.
    Luckily, Michigan's loss will not put a halt on his career. He has shows from March until summer in the United States, Bermuda and Hawaii.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X