Sass, yuh recall a few months back where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sass, yuh recall a few months back where

the CG and Shaw were at odds because Cabinet gave certain bodies the go ahead to conduct certain business without having to follow the procurement guidelines?

Well, the Agri Ministry was told that their next order of imported fertilizer will have to go through the bidding process and as a result there is going to be a delay in bringing in the next shipment.

See, its not an attack on the CG .. he has been doing a stand up job ... but there should be instances where common sense should come into play. Now depending on the length of the delay and how much is currently in stock locally, the farmers may have to go back to the more expensive fertilizer, which may in turn drive up the price of agricultural produce.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

can't attack the CG about that, there should be a process that facilitate critical needs but you can't everybody bypassing the CG as Kern also stated the light bulb had to be done immediately so that was one of the reason he was in a mess.

Well shouldn't the Minister know the rules and acted before now?
    If he has a problem there are ways it can be solved by pressuring the CG, go public with his grouse and get the farmers support(that I don't think is hard to get).

Things need to be given out to bid to get best value for the people of Jamaica.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      can't attack the CG about that, there should be a process that facilitate critical needs but you can't everybody bypassing the CG as Kern also stated the light bulb had to be done immediately so that was one of the reason he was in a mess.

Well shouldn't the Minister know the rules and acted before now?
      If he has a problem there are ways it can be solved by pressuring the CG, go public with his grouse and get the farmers support(that I don't think is hard to get).

Things need to be given out to bid to get best value for the people of Jamaica.
      "there should be a process that facilitate critical needs "

Ahhhh .... suh yuh finally saying it. That what cabinet did and he objected, causing a fire storm from people like Betty Ann Blaine.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yes there must be a reason he objected. Put the pressure on him.

I rather it go through his hand more than these 'well thinking politicans' who think it is their duty to do whatever they want with the money.

Look at the sugar farmer fertiziler, if it went through the proper process and vetted there would be no such disappearance of funds. You can't role the dice Lazie.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yes there must be a reason he objected. Put the pressure on him.

I rather it go through his hand more than these 'well thinking politicans' who think it is their duty to do whatever they want with the money.

Look at the sugar farmer fertiziler, if it went through the proper process and vetted there would be no such disappearance of funds. You can't role the dice Lazie.
          That incident is different. Thats a private matter, nothing to do with taxpayer money. He was told time and again he is welcome to review what has taken place. Secondly it doesn't pass through his hand Sass.

The fact is if the product is priced at U$100 today, the lenghty procurement procedure upon completion may cause them to buy at a higher price.

Comment

when the price a go higher? in today's environment.

Lazie you can't have ministers spending willi-nilli in the "best interest of the Jamaican people" it has to be approved, not just look into it afterwards.

Without a bid process how do we know we are getting the best deal? because the minister say so?

Comment

when the price a go higher? in today's environment.

Lazie you can't have ministers spending willi-nilli in the "best interest of the Jamaican people" it has to be approved, not just look into it afterwards.

Without a bid process how do we know we are getting the best deal? because the minister say so?
              As mi say, there is a time when common sense should come into play. But .. I guess its not so common.

Comment

if you leave it up to common sense, too many ministers a go have 'common sense" and that a my problem based on their track record.

Comment

Contractor-General slams Tufton
                  Jamaica Observer
                  Posted: 2/19/2009 2:44:04 PM
                  THE Office of the Contractor-General has described as false a quote from Minister of Agriculture Chris Tufton carried in the media yesterday that an OCG directive delayed fertiliser imports.

A statement form the OCG today said that Tufton had agreed to publicly apologise to Contractor General Greg Christie following discussions on the issue.

"The OCG wishes to categorically state that the assertions of the minister are false and are entirely without merit and foundation. No officer of the OCG has had any communication or discussion whatsoever with any officer, official or minister of the Government of Jamaica regarding the procurement of fertilizer or fertiliser imports," said the statement.

Comment

Contractor-General slams Tufton
                    Jamaica Observer
                    Posted: 2/19/2009 2:44:04 PM
                    THE Office of the Contractor-General has described as false a quote from Minister of Agriculture Chris Tufton carried in the media yesterday that an OCG directive delayed fertiliser imports.

A statement form the OCG today said that Tufton had agreed to publicly apologise to Contractor General Greg Christie following discussions on the issue.

"The OCG wishes to categorically state that the assertions of the minister are false and are entirely without merit and foundation. No officer of the OCG has had any communication or discussion whatsoever with any officer, official or minister of the Government of Jamaica regarding the procurement of fertilizer or fertiliser imports," said the statement.
                    Yes, I heard a piece about it on the news. Now the Minister need fi explain why there is a delay with the next shipment then.

Comment

the point is not about the delay, it is about trying to go around the proper process at every oppurtunity they get.

Everything is of great importance whenever they want it. It is the work of the CG to have it done in a timely and orderly manner based on the government own policies.

Comment

Working...
                      X