No announcement yet.

My Love Affair With Standard English!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brilliant... love it... willi, very nice...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Yep, The Joke Is On Me!

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      been or being??

You got me this time, Don1 . That typo was a result of my carelessness in concentrating on several things at the same time (the modern-day word, I believe, is “multi-tasking”). I was actually doing at least two (maybe three) different things yesterday when I typed that particular reply, and so didn’t take time to carefully read what I had typed. Oftentimes I read my posted messages, and edit if there’s a need to, but yesterday I can’t recall doing so with the post you referred to.

As far as Standard English is concerned, the word “been” is a past participle of “to be” while “being” is generally a noun with the only definition that I can recall is “existing” or something close to that. (And no, I can asure you that I did now check any source before typing these two definitions.)

But, of course, I probably would not accept the above explanations if they were coming from someone else.

Originally posted by Willi
      I think the principle cause of this breakdown in standard English is the affect on people caused by Hollywood and there lose language standards. As my high school principle used to say, "you can't loose" by betting on declining US language standards....

Willi: I really love this post you made (quoted only partially above)!! It is creative humour at its best!! Great post!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        You got me this time, Don1 . That typo was a result of my carelessness in concentrating on several things at the same time (the modern-day word, I believe, is “multi-tasking”). I was actually doing at least two (maybe three) different things yesterday when I typed that particular reply, and so didn’t take time to carefully read what I had typed. Oftentimes I read my posted messages, and edit if there’s a need to, but yesterday I can’t recall doing so with the post you referred to.

As far as Standard English is concerned, the word “been” is a past participle of “to be” while “being” is generally a noun with the only definition that I can recall is “existing” or something close to that. (And no, I can asure you that I did now check any source before typing these two definitions.)

But, of course, I probably would not accept the above explanations if they were coming from someone else.

Willi: I really love this post you made (quoted only partially above)!! It is creative humour at its best!! Great post!
        no problem boss... it happens to the best of us.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Thanks,

I aim to please.

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            no problem boss... it happens to the best of us.
            There is actually no problem whatsoever on my part as well, Don1.

The truth is that, on reading your correction (and you have the eye of an editor to have spotted that error), I was actually amused at the irony of me, the great forum “lecturer” on the use of Standard English, making such a really simplistic high school student-type mistake.

But I truly respect every post you make, Don1, and so I look forward to your next posts on whatever topics we have on this forum! Much respect !

Comment

Working...
            X